Backpacker's America's Best Camp Sites - Coyote Gulch

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
Not sure if anyone saw the artical on America's best campsites in the last backpacker but they included one in Coyote Gulch. It's a nice spot, I stayed there a few weeks ago but, there was also about 10 buried firepits there.

My understanding is there are no fires allowed in the Gulch. I would assume this is because of the limited vegitation and the fragile ecosystem that feeds into the stupidest lake ever.:poop: Additionally, there were a ton of people throughout the gulch. I like seeing people in the backcountry, it's fun to take a break and chat, maybe get the head right but in my opnion, if a major publication is going to direct people to area's in the backcountry, they have a responsiblity to make damn sure they pass on the rules of the trail as well.

On another note, the Blue Lake site here in Colorado that was listed is now on my list for the summer and the Glacier site on the cover is on my bucketlist.

if Backpackers keeps it up, Coyote Gulch may see a quota system implemented in the near future.

Agreed, they have done a story on Capiol Reef and other area's in S. Utah almost every damn issue. I like it better when I have to research and dig, talk to freinds etc.. to find my trips.

Agreed, they have done a story on Capiol Reef and other area's in S. Utah almost every damn issue. I like it better when I have to research and dig, talk to freinds etc.. to find my trips.

Seriously, almost every issue I see an article on Capitol Reef, and I've definitely noticed increased visitation recently.

Seriously, almost every issue I see an article on Capitol Reef, and I've definitely noticed increased visitation recently.

the Rocky Mountain Editor for the magazine is a Torrey resident. so that would probably explain all the repetative hype for Capital Reef / Escalante area.

I saw that, he did an artical a few months ago outlining an off trail route through Capitol Reef that he had spent some time developing and it looks pretty sweet. I guess sharing the beauty we have all been enjoying isn't such a bad idea.

Back