Backcountry Vehicles

Really? Why do you say that? I have been driving at JK for over 10 years and have had no problems with either of the ones I've owned, and I put A LOT of miles on them, both on and off-road.

Yep, every other week I get to fix something. Most of it is wiring/sensor problems. It's to the point I don't have a whole lot of trust in it getting us home from some places it would be a long hike. I've owned 30 something vehicles over the 6+ decades since getting my driver's license and the JK is third from the bottom in the POS category. It was back to the dealer 22 times under warranty and it certainly has not improved since. Frankly, I have no future plans for anything fiat had a hand in, including any new Jeep products. I want absolutely nothing to do with another 3.6 L. That engine may work with the automatic and a Rubicrawler but it plain sucks with the NSG 370 manual transmission. There is just no usable bottom end torque. Then we could talk about the tinfoil axle brackets and the same size front axle tubes Willys put in their 1947 wagon, the NSG 370 that pops out of gear every time you hit a good washboard (a warranty item that didn't really fix anything), a power steering system that is totally inadequate for any real off road (at least my definition of off road), and a host of annoying things like the windshield washer fluid tank that dumps its contents on the ground whenever the temp gets close to zero. Just a fine machine----

But it has made me WAY more proficient with OBDII.

I sincerely hope Ford is more competent but I have a few reservations about the new Bronco too, not the least of which is what kind of torque curve the 2.7 develops. That will have to wait for a test drive, probably someplace the dealer will not want to know about.

I about have my 1955 Willys CJ 3B back together, Version 5.0. Not much space but better than the JK in every way off or on road with the exception of the only AC is to leave the top down. What it comes down to is if one has specific expectations for a vehicle, you will likely have to build it yourself.

Given the previous posts perhaps not the best time to post this one. . . but I traded in the old, rusty '09 Jeep Liberty for a new work vehicle. So far I've been very happy with it -- the ride is still no Cadillac but the suspension package on the JT Mojave is noticeably improved over my daily driver Wrangler JK.

5J5A7538.JPG

5J5A7543.JPG

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles @John Goering , but I'm with @IntrepidXJ in that my Wrangler has been a joy to drive for the past number of years. I hope your next vehicle earns a spot towards the top of your list.

Given the previous posts perhaps not the best time to post this one. . . but I traded in the old, rusty '09 Jeep Liberty for a new work vehicle. So far I've been very happy with it -- the ride is still no Cadillac but the suspension package on the JT Mojave is noticeably improved over my daily driver Wrangler JK.

View attachment 99357

View attachment 99358

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles @John Goering , but I'm with @IntrepidXJ in that my Wrangler has been a joy to drive for the past number of years. I hope your next vehicle earns a spot towards the top of your list.
Here's wishing you luck.

Lol.... My 2019 Silverado had been impeccable.

Saw one of these in the Bozeman Smith's parking lot today. Starting price $435k. Probably will never see anything rougher than a washboarded gravel road.

Probly not even that.... Pavement and RV parks to show off the $$$ spent

Saw one of these in the Bozeman Smith's parking lot today. Starting price $435k. Probably will never see anything rougher than a washboarded gravel road.

Well shucks. Guess the guy (or gal) can't take it up North Meadow because the road is closed. They must really be disappointed. And I'd pay just to watch that-----

Chassis cab? Did you build it out or have it done?

Nope, it was a regular truck with a bed until late last month. I had a flatbed tray with custom made side boxes installed to accommodate the slide-in pop-up camper. The tray and camper are made by Overland Explorer Vehicles.

Same truck with the camper temporarily installed while I was waiting for the flatbed to arrIve:
46DB3593-F146-484F-B2B2-1251E06F5961.jpeg

Yep, every other week I get to fix something. Most of it is wiring/sensor problems. It's to the point I don't have a whole lot of trust in it getting us home from some places it would be a long hike. I've owned 30 something vehicles over the 6+ decades since getting my driver's license and the JK is third from the bottom in the POS category. It was back to the dealer 22 times under warranty and it certainly has not improved since. Frankly, I have no future plans for anything fiat had a hand in, including any new Jeep products...
Also have had a similar experience with Fiat/Chrysler products, and plan to avoid them at all costs. I have one of the earlier gas model Ram Promasters, modeled on the popular Euro Fiat Ducato. I use it only for occasional roadtrips and hauling building materials (almost never trailer or haul anything super heavy). At just under 5 years and 60K (before the first service interval), the transmission croaked out of the blue. It turned out the dealership who sold it to me in OH didn't bother to mention they had activated the warranty several months before I had purchased it. I have to give my local dealer credit for going to bat with Chrysler to cover it under warranty. I ended up with only ~$100 copay. The transmission tech told me the gas models have persistent transmission problems. I know the diesels are prone to engine failures b/c of design problems related to emissions control.

Most recently the UConnect stereo/back-up camera module died with a CAN bus error, then a few days later developed a parasitic drain on the same circuit. I haven't taken it in yet b/c it requires sourcing another PoS UConnect or an aftermarket unit and everything is on indefinite backorder with the microchip shortage. The guy at the repair place said that the Chrysler line has persistent problems with the control module failures (all over the forums). I guess the delay will give me time to finish my diagnostics and maybe do the repairs if I'm super motivated.

At some point I will need to upgrade my 10 year old Element, but I haven't found anything for which I like the styling, fuel economy, and reliability data.

Last edited: