Backcountry Music

I actually had to look up a couple of these genres 'cause I have pretty eclectic taste in music and don't really listen to any one in particular. I listen to a good mix of 60s through modern rock, 90s through modern alternative, electronic music (like Justice and Digitalism), chillwave (like Washed Out), a little 90s gangsta rap, indie, and some folk rock (like Fruit Bats, one of my recent faves). Also lots of anything involving Maynard James Keenan. But the last couple of years I've listened mostly to the Small Town Murder podcast on longer road trips.

Sounds of silence.... No earphones or music.... I listen to nature.... That's why I'm out there .. leaving the rat race behind

Same here.
I only listen music during the flight from Europe to the US and back. Mostly music from the 70’s:
America, The Band, Black Sabbath, CCR, LED Zeppelin, ELP, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

For me it's The War on Drugs. I'll listen to on the drive there, sometimes I'll listen with ear buds in at camp when it's too windy to hear wildlife and the wind kinda hurts my ear holes and having the buds in kinda stops that from happening haha

I actually had to look up a couple of these genres 'cause I have pretty eclectic taste in music and don't really listen to any one in particular. I listen to a good mix of 60s through modern rock, 90s through modern alternative, electronic music (like Justice and Digitalism), chillwave (like Washed Out), a little 90s gangsta rap, indie, and some folk rock (like Fruit Bats, one of my recent faves). Also lots of anything involving Maynard James Keenan. But the last couple of years I've listened mostly to the Small Town Murder podcast on longer road trips.
It's well over a year later, and my favorite camping music is the Fruit Bats. I'm going to see them at Deer Valley in a couple of weeks. I'm not much of a concert-goer, but who can resist this?

I actually don't have favorite musicians, just fav songs, like Radio Girl (Canadian Doug Paisley, not the American one), Who Woulda Thunk It (Greg Brown), My Silver Lining (First Aid Kit), Bad Timing (Blue Rodeo), Clay Pigeons (Novi Split), The Wild Hunt (Tallest Man on Earth), almost anything with a steel guitar, and almost anything by the Samples. And of course Joe Walsh, lol.

Nothing on the trail itself - I would rather not be surprised by a large (or small) animal and jump out of my skin because I wasn't aware of my surroundings. I am a Coloradan so I hate to admit I love finding a good jamband tune to "journey" my way up to the trail. Cue eye rolls, I know. But bands like String Cheese Incident have perfect tunes like "Little Hands" that is no doubt about a trip up Salt Creek, or even their simple tune Up the Canyon brings back memories of a 1st trip through the wild lands of Utah, tent camping out of my car, no one knew where I was or what my agenda was, listening to their music just seemed to fit the atmosphere - and most is easily transferable to Colorado scenic areas as well. When I got home from that 1st amazing roadtrip out west I turned on the TV and saw a guy named Aron Ralston had not told anyone where he went in Utah as well. Luckily we did not meet the same fate, but that was bizarre to see. I also get into bands like Dispatch, Greensky Bluegrass, Willie Nelson or Sturgil Simpson feels really nice in a desolate high desert landscape, My Morning Jacket, The War on Drugs, or even a Bob Marley tune for when you find a cool patch of water on an otherwise stuffy/hot day. I love to get out on my own, discover new music and new places that match up together. The music, the road, and the eventual hike come together as one incredible journey. I say crank it up and make sure you have good speakers!

When I’m on the highway, I tend to go between episodes of The Dirtbag Diaries podcast, classic rock, and hard rock like Audioslave. Sometimes, I go by the “when in Rome” mentality. If I’m in the country, I listen to country. If I’m passing through an urban area at night, it’ll be rap or hip hop. Last summer, The Highwaymen got some extra play. Once I hit the smaller dirt roads, I usually switch to acoustic, folk, and bluegrass. I guess the environment around me, how tired I am, and what’s on my mind influence what I’m listening to.

We listen to lectures from the Great Courses....learning about all kinss of topics. Currently working our way through everyday life in the ancient world -- Greece.
Oohhh. Great idea!

As much as I love music, I want nothing to do with it when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I DJ at home and make hour-long mixes of music, mostly deep house from vinyl records from the last 30 years. Occasionally, a friend can convince me that I should actually pack up my turntables and mixers and leave the house to play a gig. I doubt most of you have heard of the artists, but Theo Parrish, Moodyman, Vakula, S.A.M, Anton Zap, Tin Man, Larry Heard, Pjotr, Grant and Jesus Gonsev are all artists I have a few albums or singles from. Since I'm usually driving to the trailhead in the dark, I usually stick to the more mellow mixes on the way there, and the more energetic mixes on the way home.