Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon

Hello everyone. I am going to try and make this as short as I can…
I am an avid hiker, history buff, etc., and recently went down a rabbit hole, exploring the canyons on AZ/UT on google earth. Obviously with google earth there are shadows, rocks, etc.., but I have found what looks to be a CLEAR AS DAY rock wall carving, of a Native American chief or Egyptian Pharoah holding a staff; in a remote area of the Glen Canyon rec area.
Sounds crazy, I know. But I then emailed the pictures/coordinates to an Egyptologist and his Archaeologist wife. Both were extremely intrigued with the images as well.

Is there anyone out there who regularly hikes the Glen Canton Rec area, that might be interested in making a trek out there to see? I am in Michigan and it would be a long while before I could get out there. I was hoping to have a zoom call to review the images and coordinates with whoever might be interested.

This is probably the craziest thing you’ve seen all day, but honest to God, it is mind blowing; even only looking through google earth…

Google ... Egyptians in the grand canyon..... Good reads.... Caused quite a stir in the early 1900s

CLEAR AS DAY rock wall carving
Like, as in a vertical cliff wall? Visible in the satellite imagery?

I'd say I'm extremely skeptical. For something to be visible in the sat imagery, it'd have to be large enough that certainly someone would have seen it in person, no matter how remote the area is.

Thanks Bob. That is actually exactly what got me down the rabbit hole. I guess I could post a picture. Tried to find the best one…

Attachments

• 4EDA54B1-24FE-4DF5-AF3E-D72E2C16D9A0.jpeg
    4EDA54B1-24FE-4DF5-AF3E-D72E2C16D9A0.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 68A2DC79-55DC-45AF-9363-209EB7077D89.jpeg
    68A2DC79-55DC-45AF-9363-209EB7077D89.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 225
Yes, it is on a large, open wall face. Just posted some pics. And exactly, the fact that it is so pronounced on the sat images, is blowing my mind…

Yes, it is on a large, open wall face. Just posted some pics. And exactly, the fact that it is so pronounced on the sat images, is blowing my mind…
I stand corrected. In that case it must be pretty modern. Is it near Lake Powell, accessible from the water? Is it visible in the historical satellite imagery in Google Earth (although that area may not have detailed enough past imagery to really tell)?

Im not sure how to access the historical google earth info. As far as markers, the closest one on google earth looks to be ‘Halls Crossing’, but it is on the opposite side of the river.

Im not sure how to access the historical google earth info. As far as markers, the closest one on google earth looks to be ‘Halls Crossing’, but it is on the opposite side of the river.
it's under the "view" pulldown menu. as Dennis says it's often super helpful for disambiguating possible findings since in other views the light is coming from a different direction, etc.

There are some caves right next to it and the fact that he looks like he is pointing (if not holding something) is very interesting…

it's under the "view" pulldown menu. as Dennis says it's often super helpful for disambiguating possible findings since in other views the light is coming from a different direction, etc.

It was too blurry to make out any detail, until the last one (2020).

Just remember the mysterious "monuments" appearing and disappearing in canyonlands....... Id suspect its modern.... as it appears in a very exposed location.

Just remember the mysterious "monuments" appearing and disappearing in canyonlands....... Id suspect its modern.... as it appears in a very exposed location.
It’s exposed, but it isn’t, if that makes sense. It’s actually almost the perfect location if you wanted to make a large carving/glyph, but didn’t want it found. I don’t know, it has my head spinning. Because it’s along the only route (from that location) that goes straight down to the water; and it’s almost like it is pointing the way. Hopefully someone can get eyes on…

Exposed as in to weather....... not people seeing it.

You said something about the closest marker on the map was Halls Crossing? Maybe you know, that is one of the hearts of Lake Powell, as far as visitation. Any canyon accessible from the lake in that area would have a wide "variety" of people camping and hiking there since the 70s. Lake levels too would have made some areas much more accessible than today... a few maybe less.

I am interested in where.
Anywhere that would have to be accessed by lake would be a solid no during winter.

As an example of what people do...In Escalante there is this thing.... visible in GE and recently improved last time I was there. Someone spent a lot of time moving around lava boulders. I hope they were not trying for 69, instead of 96...
1669694990578.png

Thanks Bob. That is actually exactly what got me down the rabbit hole. I guess I could post a picture. Tried to find the best one…
I'm afraid that I'm a bit skeptical that that's an archaeological feature, unless there's a record of archaelogical carvings of a similar nature in the area. To my eye, these look like shadows cast by shelves in the rockface --- although I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Last edited:
You said something about the closest marker on the map was Halls Crossing? Maybe you know, that is one of the hearts of Lake Powell, as far as visitation. Any canyon accessible from the lake in that area would have a wide "variety" of people camping and hiking there since the 70s. Lake levels too would have made some areas much more accessible than today... a few maybe less.

I am interested in where.
Anywhere that would have to be accessed by lake would be a solid no during winter.

As an example of what people do...In Escalante there is this thing.... visible in GE and recently improved last time I was there. Someone spent a lot of time moving around lava boulders. I hope they were not trying for 69, instead of 96...
View attachment 116939
So I have never hiked around Lake Powell, so I apologize (mostly NM/CO), as I am not familiar with access to these places. From those I have spoken to thus far, it seems like it is in a very remote area. Remote as in a very strenuous hike, from the nearest known trail, which in and of itself is extremely remote. Halls Crossing is the closest, but you would definitely have to cross the water and it is far enough away that I don’t think it would be frequented often, if ever.

Obviously this is 2022 and unfortunately, there is not much left to discover in this world, so I’m trying not to go completely off the rails with what-if scenarios; and those who I have spoken to can correct me if I’m wrong. But in talking to a few people familiar with the area, trails, etc.; I took a deeper look at it again on the map, in regards to terrain. I think it is very safe to say, that no one has been to this spot in a very very long time. I would compare if you were to hike a full day, away from the most remote trail of the grand canyon (into the canyon).
Having said that, if you knew where to cross the lake from Halls Crossing, and could find a place to make it up the bank; ironically, it would not be nearly as difficult to get to…