A wise man just asked about my cuisine in th backcountry…

Yep,

I’ll admit that I’ve got a couple of go to dishes in th backcountry, but after that…

Soooooooo, how bout a tad bit of help from all y’all in here regardin’ backpacking meals for breakfast, lunch, supper, desserts and snacks That are usin’ ingredients that ya can get at th grocery story or online(got some freeze dried ground beef to use on my upcoming’ trip myself).

Figure with my tendency ta procrastinate( or so my wife says) this’ll gimme time to get all th fixuns so I can mesmerize th gang with my whippin’ up some good vittles !

Cause it’s always fun ta have yer buds envyin th food yer eatin( or it will be fer this flatlander(897 above sea level here) since I’ll likely be eatin’ their trail dust( unless they take pity on me..hint, hint).

Thanks ta all th backcountry chefs out there in advance,

The Trout Whisperer526AA6B7-3D7D-46F0-85DA-CC490EECD43F.jpeg
Pic of my food set up in those thrilling days of yesteryear!8

Uh, I think that would be an unwise man. :scatman:

Mine is pretty simple these days. For breakfast, it is oatmeal. Lunch is usually some trail mix, jerky, energy bar of some sort. almonds and some M&Ms. Dinner is a freeze dried meal of some sort. I have eaten tuna on a tortilla for lunch on many of my trips, but don't know if I'll do that in September - maybe the Gneiss Creek Trip, but probably not the Bechler/Pitchstone Plateau one.

For dinner I love the grocery store couscous boxes (Near East or whatever) and then I add some cashews and raisins usually.

I've tried most everything for breakfast and I sort of don't like any of it, but the precooked bacon from the grocery store + other stuff is pretty ok. The instant grits and malt-o-meal are a nice break from oatmeal.

Mine is pretty simple these days. For breakfast, it is oatmeal. Lunch is usually some trail mix, jerky, energy bar of some sort. almonds and some M&Ms. Dinner is a freeze dried meal of some sort. I have eaten tuna on a tortilla for lunch on many of my trips, but don't know if I'll do that in September - maybe the Gneiss Creek Trip, but probably not the Bechler/Pitchstone Plateau one.
Thank heavens it’s not trout on tuna….bison is bad nuff as is let alone th fish messin with us!

For dinner I love the grocery store couscous boxes (Near East or whatever) and then I add some cashews and raisins usually.

I've tried most everything for breakfast and I sort of don't like any of it, but the precooked bacon from the grocery store + other stuff is pretty ok. The instant grits and malt-o-meal are a nice break from oatmeal.
Grits sounds good! What pre cooked bacon r ya usin? It’s not the refrigerated kind is it?

Grits sounds good! What pre cooked bacon r ya usin? It’s not the refrigerated kind is it?
I think it's just oscar mayer, not the refrigerated kind. I throw away the box at home and just take the inner plastic package. if I don't feel like doing dishes, I just warm it up in a stove flame for a second

I'm not saying the instant grits or malt-o-meal are good, just that they're a nice change from instant oatmeal :)

I think yer mostly wise….cept bout those dad burned bison burgers of yours!

1628195584850.png

:lol: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I typically tend to pack a larger variety of food as I tend to be a snacker. Breakfast/supper are usually a freeze dried meal of some sort along with some hot chocolate for breakfast. In addition to the misc. energy bars I may pack I also bring some Reese's Pieces, various flavors of beef jerky, and yogurt covered cranberries. I'll have some Circus Peanuts, freeze dried cookie dough, and moon cheese in September (if Hugh does not get to the peanuts first). I'm also planning on bringing some tinned oysters or mussels for the day trips. Lastly, I usually have a flask of some kind of spirit with me when I need a quick change away from water when it comes to liquids.

Last edited:
View attachment 100616

I typically tend to pack a larger variety of food as I tend to be a snacker. Breakfast/supper are usually a freeze dried meal of some sort along with some hot chocolate for breakfast. In addition to the misc. energy bars I may pack I also bring some Reese's Pieces, various flavors of beef jerky, and yogurt covered cranberries. I'll have some Circus Peanuts, freeze dried cookie dough, and moon cheese in September (if Hugh does not get to the peanuts first). I'm also planning on bringing some tinned oysters or mussels for the day trips. Lastly, I usually have a flask of some kind of spirit with me when I need a quick change away from water when it comes to liquids.
FREEZE DRIED COOKIE DOUGH!!!!!!!!! Ya had me at cookie dough…where do ya get that?

View attachment 100616

Circus Peanuts! Drool, drool, drool, ..................................................................................................................................

FREEZE DRIED COOKIE DOUGH!!!!!!!!! Ya had me at cookie dough…where do ya get that?
I think I picked a pack up from the Sierra Trading Post store I stopped in a couple months ago. I cannot vouch for the quality/flavor at this point.

Checked their website and looks like some might still be available:

READYWISE Trail Treats Cookie Dough Bites - 2 Servings - Save 20% (sierra.com)

Attaching a pic of the food stashed/prepped for next month!

5J5A8509.JPG

Leaving the fruit bowl at home, but I forgot about the honey candies as well as chocolate covered coffee beans.

Last edited:
I think I picked a pack up from the Sierra Trading Post store I stopped in a couple months ago. I cannot vouch for the quality/flavor at this point.

Checked their website and looks like some might still be available:

READYWISE Trail Treats Cookie Dough Bites - 2 Servings - Save 20% (sierra.com)

Attaching a pic of the food stashed/prepped for next month!

View attachment 100618

Leaving the fruit bowl at home, but I forgot about the honey candies as well as chocolate covered coffee beans.
Hopefully you are also leaving that banana at home. Not sure it would pack well next month!

I have two standard dinners and I sometimes through in a third

1) Beans and Rice (similar to Skurka's version) - dehydrated refried beans, minute rice, dehydrated veg soup and cheese powder with a little olive oil for extra calories.

2) Thai curry rice - dehydrated veg soup, dehydrated coconut milk, minute rice, red thai curry sauce again with a little olive oil

3) Tomato sauce with tuna and ramen - tomato powder, veg soup, ramen, oil packed tuna

breakfast is either muesli with freeze dried fruit or cheese grits with veggies

happy to provide more details if interested

1) Beans and Rice (similar to Skurka's version) - dehydrated refried beans, minute rice, dehydrated veg soup and cheese powder with a little olive oil for extra calories.

2) Thai curry rice - dehydrated veg soup, dehydrated coconut milk, minute rice, red thai curry sauce again with a little olive oil

3) Tomato sauce with tuna and ramen - tomato powder, veg soup, ramen, oil packed tuna

breakfast is either muesli with freeze dried fruit or cheese grits with veggies

happy to provide more details if interested
I'd starve to death ...................................

Sounds tasty but makes me wonder if the outcome is the same as when I lent a tent to my weightlifter buddy who insisted on smashing canned sardines and mountain house chili mac day after day for ‘protein’… :roflmao:

I like Alpine Aire bags, and go for the blandest/least likely to cause problems selections. Breakfast is usually a bar and always some Via coffee.