A Little Bit of Bisti

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Noun Sequitur, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Noun Sequitur

Noun Sequitur My Feet Hurt

We were on our way to Utah and had two hours to explore the Bisti side of Bisti/De-Ne-Zin Wilderness. Fortunately there is plenty of cool stuff to see within a mile of the parking lot. No giant hovering hoodoos here, but I imagine this little spot gets bypassed quite a bit in favor of the more extravagant stuff.

We rounded the corner and I could tell that we had picked a good drainage to explore.
    20160902_160040_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20160902_160414_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    20160902_161816_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    20160902_161103_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

The color and shape of the sandstone reminded me of formations inside caves.
    20160902_161158_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20160902_161226_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    The palette was close to monochromatic, but here and there were chunks of red and orange.
    20160902_160751_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20160902_161508_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20160902_160607_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20160902_163120_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160902_163146_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20160902_163245_PerfectlyClear (1280x409).jpg

A blurry one from the car on the way out
    20160902_170947_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Bonus Mini TR, Indian Creek Rock Art

While we were in Utah, we took an afternoon to visit one of my favorite art galleries...

20160904_140544_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20160904_140350_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

I found some pictographs nearby that I hadn't seen before
    20160904_135523_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Venchka, Ben, danger02ward and 14 others like this.
  2. SKLund

SKLund Member

Love the photos!

Noun Sequitur likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"

Cool, I've never heard of this place.

4. Jackson

Jackson I like to go outside.

Otherworldly looking place. Awesome.

5. Noun Sequitur

Ben and Dave like this.
  6. IntrepidXJ

IntrepidXJ ADVENTR

Nice! Bisti has been on my list for a long long time and it finally looks like I'm going to make it down there later this year :)

7. Noun Sequitur

Can't wait. I've been hoping it would get the @IntrepidXJ treatment.

IntrepidXJ likes this.
  8. Wyatt Carson

Wyatt Carson Desert Vagabond

Ah, you did good! Love those images.

I started going in there years ago, even slept in there twice, king of spooky. The photo ops are endless. Did you see any of the petrified logs? Some are long and some have the root ball end on them, laying on supports like some kind of ancient altar. I know some who have found dinosaur teeth there. If you get a chance try going a bit further into the Ah-shi-sle-pah. You'll find more hoodoos and certainly see some dinosaur stuff, bones and teeth and even some of the dimpled armor, maybe a spike or two. I've slept in there several times too to get the sunset and weird light. There is some crazy stuff in both of those places and they seem like mazes. I even found a huge "room" in one where it was surrounded by walls and the water drained out through sump holes. There were some good petrified wood in there too.

That is a place you can go back time and again. The De-na-zin is close too, in fact they are really connected now with some trading of lands. There are some crazy things there too.

9. Noun Sequitur

Ugly and Dave like this.
  10. Absarokanaut

Absarokanaut Member

I've been there a couple of times. I'm pretty sure I met Socrates there one full moon night in my early 20s.

Thanks for sharing, great stuff.

11. Wyatt Carson

Wyatt Carson Desert Vagabond

Oh yeah, very nice. I like it when they are sticking out of a wall of material as in the last one. And the second one, that piece in the smooth wash, is a nice juxtaposition. You have a good eye.

Those little washes in there were interesting and I spent some time photographing them as well even though the dazzling hoodoos abounded. Once I caught a couple of the smooth washes after a snow storm with a bit of chocolate water flowing. It is a crazy place and you will find more and more every time you go in there. A lot of photographers head to a place called the Egg Garden with some interesting formations but there is a lot more to the Bisti...

12. piper01

piper01 Member

Bisti is such a cool area to explore. I saw one of the areas of petrified trees last year. One of the logs was at least 30 feet tall (I laid down next to it to measure), including root ball. It was amazing!

13. ROKTAXI

ROKTAXI Member

14. Noun Sequitur

They had a nice gravel surface when we got there, I think maybe they've redone the road recently. It had rained and was still raining in spots. On the way there I was concerned that we would have to bail but the road was in great shape. I'm sure that could change with a flash flood, but we didn't have any issues. The parking lot has a good surface also but is in a low area. It had flooded recently, silt was about an inch deep in spots. So agreed that you definitely need to keep an eye on the weather.