A BCP Fest Above the Rest

Miya

Because I am able.
I can’t imagine that people want to see this report since there have been so many pictures and stories already. However, this trip had a lot of firsts for @Bobbiesworld626 and myself, and it will be a trip that I remember forever! I took 1136 photos and managed to get it down to 150, so I will do my best to sum up the report too.

Miya’s Photos:
https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/San-Rafael-Swell-Utah/

@Bobbiesworld626 People Photos:
https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/Swell-Utah-Bobbis/

There was a lot of discussion on what route we took to get to camp. So here…
I don’t know why I thought mileage was over 900. I must have been suffering from sleep delirium. I left work at 18:30 on Wednesday 04.03 and we made it to camp at 09:00 Thursday 04.04.

1555471880938.png

1555471891108.png

We picked a spot, made camp, met @Stephanie B and Blake (I think that happened before naptime…), put up a big green sign, watched a monster RV show up in our camp and try to park (it was hilarious), and then took a much needed two-hour nap. Thanks again @Stephanie B for getting there early and securing the site and setting up signs!

Still in work clothes, hah!

20190404_091724.jpg

After the recovery nap, we wandered around the general vicinity.

'Perty' things...

Swell-5.jpg

Swell-14.jpg

Swell-16.jpg

Looks like Baklava!

Swell-18.jpg

Swell-21.jpg

Upon returning to camp, I was blessed to stumble across a mythical beast! The fabled desert unicorn had arrived at our camp! And, as everyone knows, the desert unicorn is the rarest of all. I was lucky enough to snap some shots.

Swell-32.jpg

We had a lovely evening with Stephanie, Blake @Udink, Dennis 1 (I can't remember his username!), and @Nick. It was a night of fantastic people, good conversation, and a lovely fire! I passed out around 2300…I think. Bobbi and Nick decided to compete to see who could stay up the longest. Apparently, they went to bed anywhere from 0630 – 0730, but that Bobbi “won”. I ended up waking her up at 0900 so I don’t know if she felt like a winner hehe!

Goblin Valley was the destination for Friday and I was ready to get a move on! The day we went ended up being overcast, which was a bummer, but this provides all the more incentive to return. It surprised me how much I enjoyed Goblin Valley! ‘See Goblin Valley in snow’ has now made it onto my bucket list.

There were SOOOOOOOO many humans and cars. We decided to stay away from the main TH/parking lot, with the intention of going back later in the day. Instead, we took Curtis Bench TH (3 miles). This ended up being the BEST decision. Curtis Bench Trail takes you up and over the Valley so you can see the Goblins from above. There is even a TH that leads you down into the Valley. We did not encounter one person on this amazing trail!

Swell-48.jpg

Swell-43.jpg

Swell-53.jpg

Swell-57.jpg

We made a fun attempt to reach the Valley floor, but Bobbi was understandably tired, so after a couple miles, we headed back to camp.

20190405_134035(0).jpg

We have never been in an environment like this, so our imagination ran wild! We found some ‘caves’ that we declared our home, summer home, and winter home.

My idea of seducing someone into my ‘summer home’, hence why I am single.

20190405_140023.jpg

We kept finding rocks that reminded us of things, like staring at the clouds!

This is a man's profile, gazing up into the sky.

Swell-68.jpg

This is a dragon (or crocodile/alligator) and he has his talon up, trying to lure you into his mouth. 'Get in my belly!'

Swell-72.jpg

Swell-80.jpg

This beautiful little critter did some great posing for us while it shed it's skin. I fell in love with its green eyes.
Swell-81.jpg

We stopped at the gift shop and headed back to camp. Bobbi dashed for her tent and some rest. I wandered up to the campfire and met more wonderful BCPers!

Saturday morning came slowly for most of BCP (luckily). Bobbi and I had discussed it the very first night, but we were going to attach ourselves to @Udink (or stalk). I don't know if he had originally planned on going to 'The Unexpected Panel', but we heard about it and got it in our head we would see it! Bobbi and I had never seen pictographs or petroglyphs (I still don't know the difference). Saturday morning we formed a group of awesomeness and set off!

Group of Awesomeoness Includes: @blueeyes, @Bobbiesworld626, @Chris Mosbacker, @Dave, @Outdoors24, @Udink, @Yvonne

The road to the TH was more than I had ever experienced, but Dave handled it like a pro! I didn't even get car sick, so YAY!

The views were unlike any I have seen in person. I was overjoyed to see them, to hike, and to be around such great people. I have never gone hiking with more than 2 other people and the people I usually get to come with me have been semi dragged/forced against their will.

Swell-85.jpg

Swell-82.jpg

Swell-87.jpg

Miner's Claim...? It was amazing to see this piece of history and the fact that it was still safe and hadn't been taken by some random person.

Swell-94.jpg

Swell-92.jpg

COME ON!!! Aliens....

Swell-101.jpg

Love the precision of its fingers.

Swell-104.jpg

@Yvonne looking cool!

Swell-110.jpg

Swell-116.jpg

Swell-113.jpg

Back at camp.

Swell-122.jpg

I decided that we needed to leave Sunday, so I could get home and do laundry and other miscellaneous chores before work on Tuesday.

Ate Yvonne before we left.
20190407_102645(0).jpg

We left camp and headed to Wild Horse Canyon. This would be our first time experiencing a slot canyon and I was pretty pumped! I had heard the place is packed, but we ended up only running into a dozen people, give or take, there and back! We unintentionally ran into Yvonne at the TH and we ended up exploring together. A special thanks to @Yvonne for teaching us so much during this trip!

20190407_120103.jpg

Swell-151.jpg

Swell-134.jpg

Swell-142.jpg

Swell-146.jpg

Swell-148.jpg

We headed home at 1400 on Sunday and I got home at 0330 Monday.

I am so grateful for everyone I was able to meet. If I were to write everything that I felt about this trip, all the wonder and joy that I experienced, this report would turn into a novel. I cannot wait to meet up again! Remember, if anyone is ever in California, reach out to me! I am desperate for outdoor friends... haha

Swell-152.jpg

Swell-153.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t imagine that people want to see this report since there have been so many pictures and stories already. However, this trip had a lot of firsts for @Bobbiesworld626 and myself, and it will be a trip that I remember forever! I took 1136 photos and managed to get it down to 150, so I will do my best to sum up the report too.

Miya’s Photos:
https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/San-Rafael-Swell-Utah/

@Bobbiesworld626 People Photos:
https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/Swell-Utah-Bobbis/

There was a lot of discussion on what route we took to get to camp. So here…
I don’t know why I thought mileage was over 900. I must have been suffering from sleep delirium. I left work at 18:30 on Wednesday 04.03 and we made it to camp at 09:00 Thursday 04.04.

View attachment 77189

View attachment 77191

We picked a spot, made camp, met @Stephanie B and Blake (I think that happened before naptime…), put up a big green sign, watched a monster RV show up in our camp and try to park (it was hilarious), and then took a much needed two-hour nap. Thanks again @Stephanie B for getting there early and securing the site and setting up signs!

Still in work clothes, hah!

View attachment 77178

After the recovery nap, we wandered around the general vicinity.

'Perty' things...

View attachment 77183

View attachment 77184

View attachment 77185

Looks like Baklava!

View attachment 77186

View attachment 77187

Upon returning to camp, I was blessed to stumble across a mythical beast! The fabled desert unicorn had arrived at our camp! And, as everyone knows, the desert unicorn is the rarest of all. I was lucky enough to snap some shots.

View attachment 77188

We had a lovely evening with Stephanie, Blake @Udink, Dennis 1 (I can't remember his username!), and @Nick. It was a night of fantastic people, good conversation, and a lovely fire! I passed out around 2300…I think. Bobbi and Nick decided to compete to see who could stay up the longest. Apparently, they went to bed anywhere from 0630 – 0730, but that Bobbi “won”. I ended up waking her up at 0900 so I don’t know if she felt like a winner hehe!

Goblin Valley was the destination for Friday and I was ready to get a move on! The day we went ended up being overcast, which was a bummer, but this provides all the more incentive to return. It surprised me how much I enjoyed Goblin Valley! ‘See Goblin Valley in snow’ has now made it onto my bucket list.

There were SOOOOOOOO many humans and cars. We decided to stay away from the main TH/parking lot, with the intention of going back later in the day. Instead, we took Curtis Bench TH (3 miles). This ended up being the BEST decision. Curtis Bench Trail takes you up and over the Valley so you can see the Goblins from above. There is even a TH that leads you down into the Valley. We did not encounter one person on this amazing trail!

View attachment 77192

View attachment 77190

View attachment 77193

View attachment 77194

We made a fun attempt to reach the Valley floor, but Bobbi was understandably tired, so after a couple miles, we headed back to camp.

View attachment 77179

We have never been in an environment like this, so our imagination ran wild! We found some ‘caves’ that we declared our home, summer home, and winter home.

My idea of seducing someone into my ‘summer home’, hence why I am single.

View attachment 77180

We kept finding rocks that reminded us of things, like staring at the clouds!

This is a man's profile, gazing up into the sky.

View attachment 77195

This is a dragon (or crocodile/alligator) and he has his talon up, trying to lure you into his mouth. 'Get in my belly!'

View attachment 77196

View attachment 77197

This beautiful little critter did some great posing for us while it shed it's skin. I fell in love with its green eyes.
View attachment 77198

We stopped at the gift shop and headed back to camp. Bobbi dashed for her tent and some rest. I wandered up to the campfire and met more wonderful BCPers!

Saturday morning came slowly for most of BCP (luckily). Bobbi and I had discussed it the very first night, but we were going to attach ourselves to @Udink (or stalk). I don't know if he had originally planned on going to 'The Unexpected Panel', but we heard about it and got it in our head we would see it! Bobbi and I had never seen pictographs or petroglyphs (I still don't know the difference). Saturday morning we formed a group of awesomeness and set off!

Group of Awesomeoness Includes: @blueeyes, @Bobbiesworld626, @Chris Mosbacker, @Dave, @Outdoors24, @Udink, @Yvonne

The road to the TH was more than I had ever experienced, but Dave handled it like a pro! I didn't even get car sick, so YAY!

The views were unlike any I have seen in person. I was overjoyed to see them, to hike, and to be around such great people. I have never gone hiking with more than 2 other people and the people I usually get to come with me have been semi dragged/forced against their will.

View attachment 77200

View attachment 77199

View attachment 77219

Miner's Claim...? It was amazing to see this piece of history and the fact that it was still safe and hadn't been taken by some random person.

View attachment 77221

View attachment 77220

COME ON!!! Aliens....

View attachment 77222

Love the precision of its fingers.

View attachment 77223

@Yvonne looking cool!

View attachment 77224

View attachment 77226

View attachment 77225

Back at camp.

View attachment 77227

I decided that we needed to leave Sunday, so I could get home and do laundry and other miscellaneous chores before work on Tuesday.

Ate Yvonne before we left.
View attachment 77235

We left camp and headed to Wild Horse Canyon. This would be our first time experiencing a slot canyon and I was pretty pumped! I had heard the place is packed, but we ended up only running into a dozen people, give or take, there and back! We unintentionally ran into Yvonne at the TH and we ended up exploring together. A special thanks to @Yvonne for teaching us so much during this trip!

View attachment 77182

View attachment 77232

View attachment 77228

View attachment 77229

View attachment 77230

View attachment 77231

We headed home at 1400 on Sunday and I got home at 0330 Monday.

I am so grateful for everyone I was able to meet. If I were to write everything that I felt about this trip, all the wonder and joy that I experienced, this report would turn into a novel. I cannot wait to meet up again! Remember, if anyone is ever in California, reach out to me! I am desperate for outdoor friends... haha

View attachment 77233

View attachment 77234
Lovely report!

My favorite photo is the lizard shedding his skin..but honestly they are all wonderful photos.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Great report and awesome pictures!!! It was so fun to finally meet you both.
And for sure, the time in Little Wild Horse Canyon was fun. less crowded than I expected.
I'm still working on my pictures and trip report but it has to wait until my last final in two weeks

@Miya I am going to quit my job so we can go hiking at the time, k? and I'll have a onesie for every kind of environment. Desert unicorn. Damn, I love you. YES!!!!! Super fun. I cannot express how much I enjoyed meeting all of you and making the memories that we did. 3 days was not nearly enough time to do all the exploring that needed to be done. Same time 2020???

Excellent trip report. It was an awesome trip, with so many great people. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks @blueeyes! I was so glad to meet you and happy that you could hike with us! Bobbi and I were super impressed with your off road driving and hiking through your injury. You are a beast! (Compliment)

@Udink - you are just fantastic! I am so grateful you shared the panel with us and the disgusting food...oh hey! I forgot to put that in the report...I must have been making an attempt to block it from my memory.

No worries @Yvonne, definitely more excited for you to finish finals! Good luck!

@Miya I am going to quit my job so we can go hiking at the time, k? and I'll have a onesie for every kind of environment. Desert unicorn. Damn, I love you. YES!!!!! Super fun. I cannot express how much I enjoyed meeting all of you and making the memories that we did. 3 days was not nearly enough time to do all the exploring that needed to be done. Same time 2020???

Ummmmmmm don't tease me...if you quit, I quit! And then...
PCT TIME!!!!!!!!
I love you too, and am so grateful and lucky to have a friend like you! Someone who enjoys a hobby that fell into my life out of nowhere.
I don't want to wait till next year...meet up every 6 months sounds good to me.

Ummmmmmm don't tease me...if you quit, I quit! And then...
PCT TIME!!!!!!!!
I love you too, and am so grateful and lucky to have a friend like you! Someone who enjoys a hobby that fell into my life out of nowhere.
I don't want to wait till next year...meet up every 6 months sounds good to me.

Sweetie, you know I won't be able to hang for the PCT. I like showers and flush able toilets far too much. But you know I am down for damn near any other adventure. I didn't want to sound too needy, but every 6 months is good too. We have to go back anyway because I saw a video where you free fall in a canyon in Moab. THAT I WANT TO DO!!!!! I will probably piss myself, but it would be so worth it.

Sweetie, you know I won't be able to hang for the PCT. I like showers and flush able toilets far too much. But you know I am down for damn near any other adventure. I didn't want to sound too needy, but every 6 months is good too. We have to go back anyway because I saw a video where you free fall in a canyon in Moab. THAT I WANT TO DO!!!!! I will probably piss myself, but it would be so worth it.
You can do it! You can PCT with me...or CDT. You will love it! You get used to being dirty/smelly.
Okay, well, we can actually set a meetup. There is a section. I don't imagine a lot of people want to drive to CA, but we can plan/host our own in Moab. :)

Thanks @blueeyes! I was so glad to meet you and happy that you could hike with us! Bobbi and I were super impressed with your off road driving and hiking through your injury. You are a beast! (Compliment)

@Udink - you are just fantastic! I am so grateful you shared the panel with us and the disgusting food...oh hey! I forgot to put that in the report...I must have been making an attempt to block it from my memory.

No worries @Yvonne, definitely more excited for you to finish finals! Good luck!

Miya, I don’t know what disgusting food you’re referring to but that freeze-dried okra you innocently urged me to sample was nearly inedible. ;) Great trip report. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

Great report @Miya! It was nice to meet you and @Bobbiesworld626. Sorry that I didn't get to go hiking with you guys. The Desert Unicorn, a rare sight indeed, will leave me chuckling for the rest of the day. :) Be sure and lean on Nick to set a meeting up for next year. :twothumbs:

Miya, I don’t know what disgusting food you’re referring to but that freeze-dried okra you innocently urged me to sample was nearly inedible. ;) Great trip report. Glad you had such a wonderful time.
Freeze dried okra???[emoji13] okra I am sure was never meant for consumption.

That driving was fun! Made me shake like a leaf. I don't ever take my little mule down roads like that. Mostly because I am by myself and if something broke I would be hiking out. 10/10 I would do it again!

My leg is doing better. I need it to heal before mother's day weekend I have permits for Buckskin to Lee's Ferry.

I love all the small details you captured that I routinely ignore 'cause I've become desensitized to them.

^This! Nice to see a familiar place through the eyes of someone new to the area. Great report, and great to meet you two. I take back most of what I said about Californians.

I'm all for BCP Fest 2.0, but no way am I going to Moab. You think the Swell was busy?! o_O I've got some spots in mind...

@Miya If I remember correctly was it you that spent last Thanksgiving camping? If so might I suggest the Moab area around Thanksgiving. My wife and I have been going there for the last several years. It has been getting busier but still a lot less crowded than the main season. @Bobbiesworld626 I'm not exactly sure what freefall you are referencing but there are some interesting tours, although the number of companies open around that time of year are limited. I used Mike at Moab Canyon Tours, he worked me to make sure everyone, including my mother-in-law, was comfortable completing the trip.

Also as an added bonus if you are there around Thanksgiving you guys could join my wife and I for a hike.

Still bleh that I missed this. Good reason to also vote for 2.0.
Nice report, love it.

@Miya I am just up the road from you now in Roseville... but only here for a few hours for an in and out client meeting. Sitting in their conference room passing time for a half hour. My coworker and I have agreed though that if we have a next meeting, it will be a Thursday or Friday and that would leave us a day or two to venture out.

Mmmmmmmm okra! Haha good that you tried it though!

Next time @scatman! I can only imagine the crazy antics we would get into! It will be entertaining I am sure!

@blueeyes - Oh that's right! I will send good vibes for it to heal before Mother's Day!
Oh, and okra is weird, but delicious to me haha

@Nick - You don't have to take it back. Bobbi and I know we are cool haha
I didn't think The Swell was that busy. I am used to seeing crowds like that. But I trust in your wisdom to find a 2.0 spot!

@swmalone - not sure what my Thanksgiving plans will be. Thanks for the tip though! I think Bobbi usually spends time with her family, and I try to run away. Haha

@Ugly - What?! You are in Roseville?! Hi!!!! :wavespin:
Confused by your message, when are you leaving? Or you don't know?
I was gonna try and go to Death Valley this weekend since it is a 3 day, but I could hike nearby too.