8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22

Hello everyone.

It's been a good minute since I've posted anything here so with my return and some free time in the winter I'm going to post some of my (bigger) trips of the year. This was an 8 day backpacking trip in California's Sierra Nevada mountains. This trip was excellent and I was surprised at the amount of solitude we had at all of our camps minus the last one (but the people there were freaking awesome to talk with). All pictures are screen grabs from my trip video.

Trip video

THE DAY BEFORE THE TRIP, CAR CAMPING IN THE DESERT
Bt6Ysee.png

JUNE 25th | North Lake TH > Piute Pass > Humphreys Basin
7.67 Miles 2358ft of Gain

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Gained high country fast, dynamic clouds, good sunset
3 CON'S of the DAY : Lots of people, dodging a thunderstorm, eye kamikazes

XJmRr3I.png

CeZjseq.png

S8oiO0L.png

1MPaFft.png

1MPaFft.png

ho1pHxc.png

xQhXxLo.png
Camp at lower Desolation lake

XL5JQ8S.png
The Glacier Divide

3fX0Yi2.png
Wife fishing in evening

L1h7V5v.png

cMWwo95.png
GOODNIGHT

JUNE 26th | Lower Desolation Lake > Star Col/Pass > Little Lake > Pine Creek Pass
7.59 Miles 1360ft of Gain

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Amazing high country, non-stop lakes, good fishing
3 CON'S of the DAY : Lots of bugs, Star col was a time sink, altitude started to get us

Qixq602.png
Good morning friends

AeHW5C7.png
Desolation Lake outlet crossing

oEwjxsI.png
The target and backup

afbCPtr.png
Wife and I on our way up

w2jCBX7.png
Star Pass/col view

CQTqh4P.png

GNWZGR1.png
x2 pack passing down sections

mme0Mte.png
Lake below Col. Fished for a few hours.

mhxFuo6.png
Lake below the lake below the col

PIqnScg.png
Any waterfall/cascade enthusiast here?

hp2hrbq.png
Camp at Pine Creek Pass. Tired but slowly acclimatizing. All camps on this trip were above 10,000 feet.

JUNE 27th | Pine Creek Pass > Granite Park > Italy Pass > Lake Italy
8.44 Miles 2578ft of Gain BEST DAY OF THE TRIP

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Most scenic day, Lake italy, granite park
3 CON'S of the DAY : Only spent 1 night in the area, should have stayed a night at granite park, too pretty

a7nPsw6.png
Heading to granite park

anHPm5D.png
Start of Granite Park

fI0a8ws.png
Italy Pass #1

szrWibq.png
Italy Pass #2

dLgy8QS.png
Lake Italy, amazing place

t2GvMpa.png
Lake Italy camp

v4UseFD.png
Food and stuff for the trip

l2dMrx0.png
Alpenglow sunset

JUNE 28th | Lake Italy > Lake Italy Drainage "Route" > PCT/JMT > Marie Lake
10.22 Miles 1564ft of Gain BUGGIEST DAY OF THE TRIP

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Upper drainage is wind river esque, cooler weather, great colors
3 CON'S of the DAY : Nat geo map is horrible, should have bought a local map, bugs bugs bugs

hSnpRWJ.png
First sun cup section over lake

qIcCVnJ.png
2nd Sun cup section over lake

InV8RlQ.png
the drainage descent begins

F58UI7O.png

ZrUVZgn.png
Many crossings like this

zftTcjN.png
Several bush whack sections. Some tedious, no where near as bad as a cascade schwack though. This is when the mosquitoes started attacking in droves.

r9dWZuD.png
Found their home! Very long marsh sections. Wet feet unavoidable.

NeVv8VI.png
Got back to PCT/JMT, saw some people on it but smooth sailing to Marie Lake. Camp.

ydbnF7h.png
the view

bmGKFWX.png
Sunset dinner

JUNE 29th | Marie Lake > Nameless Lake > Heart Lake
2.7 Miles 611ft of Gain BEST FISHING DAY

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Beautiful cirque, phenomenal fishing, only 18 passerbys despite near PCT/JMT
3 CON'S of the DAY : Swallowed mosquito on off trail ascent to nameless lake, several bites on knuckles, boot sidewall blowout

bcbljB2.png
To a nameless lake for lunch after very late start

Wz0VESL.png
The lake

dXfxKgn.png
Lower lake

OSj5WyY.png
Heart Lake, best fishing on the trip. Bush whacked down instead of taking the trailed pass. PCT/JMT on left, only 18 or so people passed through all day.

Er7EnVK.png
Heart Lake sunset

JUNE 30th | Heart Lake > PCT/JMT > Piute Canyon > Humphreys Basin
18.57 Miles 3798ft of Gain HARDEST DAY OF TRIP, TOO HOT OUTSIDE

3 PRO'S of the DAY : It ended eventually, waterfalls, dinner was good
3 CON'S of the DAY : Lots of bugs, too hot out, no shade in Piute canyon

ZNxazit.png
Cool tree. From below heart lake and a little beyond gave me yellowstone vibes

wtOmPdy.png

11Mm0R4.png
Classic sierra scene

bHImJjI.png
He is loving the heat. I am not.

dq1OCw8.png
Heading up piute canyon. No shade the whole way up. Mid 80s out.

mJU3tbt.png

D9rAW2E.png

dC20fUL.png
Back into Humphreys Basin

KDcPLZ3.png
Camp set up. Next step, make dinner.

JULY 1st | Tarn > Piute Pass > Goethe Lake
4.51 Miles 943ft of Gain

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Amazing lake camp, great final night, amazing people to talk with all evening
3 CON'S of the DAY : Morning bugs, hot again, people in the area(but read pro #3)

NqrpioE.png
Good morning. I hate these things.

36DAFTx.png
Well, time to pack up...

ECyfuLU.png

g3h547q.png
Back into the wind and away from the bugs

Lc4DLq5.png
Lake near Piute Pass, headed for Goethe Lake now.

uNosG3L.png

n4QCzX1.png
First view of Goethe lake and our camp for the last night of the trip.

VB80Jej.png
Illegal fire ring. No fires allowed above either 10,400 or 10,900 feet. This lake is a good stretch above 11,000 feet. Time to clean up.

aksXI36.png
After shot putting the rocks around and hiding the burned log I found out that using your rain fly to "shimmy" under the old coals clears an old ring out pretty darn fast.

iMc5vKL.png
ALMOST) like new

7CavcMC.png
Eagle eating while watching me work like my foreman.

Zor5NB9.png

XFWhO3k.png
Alpine col

ke70imC.png
Goodnight

LAST DAY RETRACE OF STEPS BASICALLY

3 PRO'S of the DAY : Feel good about trip, easy hike down, friendly people for 4th of July weekend on the way up
3 CON'S of the DAY : Mcdonalds bigmac not good idea after 8 day trip, gas @ 7.89 a gallon at the time, had to cancel our tourist day due to gas prices

GOOD MORNING

PX67k6u.png

Great trip, excepting the mosquitos and hot temps. Fine scenery and photography work. CA gas prices are notorious! Thanks for posting.

Nice pics.....looks like a good trip.

Great photos and sounds like it was a great trip. I'm jealous though, I had that exact route planned starting on July 2nd this summer. Before we left though we found out we'd have to cut the trip short so ended up just spending a couple days in Humphrey's basin. That's a beautiful area and was still a great trip. Got to get out to Granite Park and Italy lake this next summer now. There is a chance we actually passed you since we were on our way up the trail on the 2nd.

I love the High Sierra, thanks for sharing

And thanks for cleaning up that fire ring. I would probably have scattered the rocks and log, but you went way beyond that, thanks

Thanks for the beautiful photos and trip report. This reminds me that I want to go back to the Sierras. (Our first ever backpacking trip was in Yosemite almost 10 years ago but we haven't returned to that region yet.)

Fun to read your pros and cons - some made me laugh (June 30 pro "it ended eventually"). At the risk of sounding stupid (and/or old and/or not aware enough of pop culture), what are eye kamikazes?

Thanks for the beautiful photos and trip report. This reminds me that I want to go back to the Sierras. (Our first ever backpacking trip was in Yosemite almost 10 years ago but we haven't returned to that region yet.)

Fun to read your pros and cons - some made me laugh (June 30 pro "it ended eventually"). At the risk of sounding stupid (and/or old and/or not aware enough of pop culture), what are eye kamikazes?
I just call the gnats that love flying/suiciding into peoples eye balls "Eye Kamikazes"

I just call the gnats that love flying/suiciding into peoples eye balls "Eye Kamikazes"
Sounds like the bugs were awful. I wonder if the only way to have fewer bugs is to have more people by going later in the season?

Last edited: