5D mk III announced

When I wear my 5DII out this will probably replace it....but that's a little ways off right now. By then the price should come down.

There's really nothing worth the upgrade price for me on the III.

So are you going to upgrade? I have some Nikon friends and even canon friends totally trash talking this guys cause of its low Megapixle upgrade. I am sure it is an awesome camera but still out of my budget.

Anyone that trash talks about megapixels doesn't understand digital cameras. It's all about the actual size of the sensor and less about the megapixels. I think for this size of sensor about 20 megapixels is more than enough. The only thing more megapixels does is make your files bigger and then you have to get bigger hard drives and a faster CPU to handle the files very well. Megapixels are very overrated in my opinion. Not sure if I will be getting one. I still shoot with the original 5D and really like it. The big upgrade in this version versus the mkII is the AF system in my opinion. Going from a 9 point AF system to a 61 point AF system is a huge upgrade.

I agree about the size of the megapixle and sensor. I don't want to have to buy more storage for the bigger file size when I don't know if I will print anything bigger then I already do. I debated on the 5DII last year, but for what I do the 7D was a better fit. However I would still like to get a Full Frame someday. Its not about need though... just want :)

The price is a joke and the mega pixel argument is pointless.

I'm really let down buy the price but dont really care anymore because Im now shooting a 5D and 7D. I am curious to see what happens with the 5dmkII, I think the price will stay the same or even go up due to demand... the internet is currently buzz with the high price of the MKIII.

The price is a joke and the mega pixel argument is pointless.

I'm really let down buy the price but dont really care anymore because Im now shooting a 5D and 7D. I am curious to see what happens with the 5dmkII, I think the price will stay the same or even go up due to demand... the internet is currently buzz with the high price of the MKIII.

I hadn't seen the MSRP until now and I agree it is high. Maybe consumer demand(or lack there of) will force Canon to lower it when it is available to purchase. Who knows... I too am happy with my 5D. I do wish sometimes that it had video but I can shoot video with my T2i. It's just that the low light performance and FOV/DOF are better with the 5D.

I biggest concern I have right now is finding a single camera bag to lug everything around.... :frantic:

if you don't shoot video, pretty tough to say it's much of an upgrade. the AF looks awesome. the FPS are nicer. and if they really get a 2 stop high iso improvement it's definitely an overall "upgrade." but the price is still a bit steep.

crazy what nikon has done with the d800 comparatively. my guess is that canon is holding out for their 4k sensor later this year...

So how long do you guys think it will take for the 5d3 to push the price down on the 5d2? And when is the 3 actually going to be available?

The III is supposed to be out by the end of the month.

I have heard rumors that the II will drop by around $300 shortly, but if a lot of people aren't willing to shell out for the III and continue to buy the II, it may not drop?

We'll just have to wait and see....

I'm seriously considering buying a brand new 5d mkII kit instead of just getting the 24-105 like I had discussed in my lens thread.

So I need opinions ASAP. Is a 5d2 with the 24-105 for a little less than $3k going to be better than waiting around for the price on a 5d3 to come down? Keep in mind I was going to spend $1k on the 24-105 so this would be like getting the 5d for $2k flat. And is the 5d3 worth it?

I'm seriously considering buying a brand new 5d mkII kit instead of just getting the 24-105 like I had discussed in my lens thread.

So I need opinions ASAP. Is a 5d2 with the 24-105 for a little less than $3k going to be better than waiting around for the price on a 5d3 to come down? Keep in mind I was going to spend $1k on the 24-105 so this would be like getting the 5d for $2k flat. And is the 5d3 worth it?

I think it's worth it. I was hesitant to drop all that money when I bought my 5DII and lenses.....and I don't regret it at all.

Randy, you like your 24-105 a lot. Do you ever get frustrated that it isn't wide enough? It would be nice if I could just get the 5d2 kit and then hold off on getting a new ultra wide for a bit but I'm worried I'll go into ultra wide withdrawals. Thoughts?