5 nights, 50 miles in the Uintas

The nicest people you'll ever meet will be in the backcountry. It's a fraternity of sorts. It's a place people go to slow down and really understand things. I think that's why it's hard for people who truly love the outdoors to go home, because everything just makes sense in the backcountry. Thanks for the report. I need to do more in the Uintahs.

@DAA or @Nick I've read both of your trip reports through the upper rock creek basin. Nick took the right fork just past Black Lake, past Lightning Lake to Helen. Dave took the left fork going past Rosalie & Gladys Lake to Helen Lake. Do either of you have an opinion on which trail is a better route - more picturesque, better quality trail, etc? Would either of you know an approximate mileage difference between the two trails?

Just eye-balling it I'm guessing they're similar in distance.

I had decided to follow NIck's path, but after looking at Dave's pictures and descriptions I'm torn . . . Advice is greatly appreciated!

Dave's route looks longer to me, but I'd definitely do that if you have the time/energy. Those upper west side lakes look fantastic.

upload_2014-7-11_16-29-4.png

I'd go the upper/Rosalie/Gladys route. It's both more scenic and more level. Once you climb up to Rosalie, which isn't a hard climb, it's pretty easy walking all the way around to Helen. Going Black/Lightning, you drop down at first but then have to come back up a pretty long steep climb and much of it is in the trees without a view.

- DAA

DAA, can you please tell me where shower springs is located in regard to the lakes in the area. I will be hiking a big loop from Moonlake resort in August and I definitely don't want to miss that cold fresh water before going over Deadhorse Pass. Thanks, Shawn P.

I didn't record the location, but looking at a map, I believe it's in the cliff area due north of Fall lakes.

- DAA

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
wsp_scott 3 nights in the Dolly Sods (WV) Backpacking 9
M Suggestions for early April in Arizona, 2-3 nights Trip Planning 2
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
Rockskipper Solar flare = aurora in many places next couple of nights General Discussion 5
wsp_scott 5 nights in the Smokies Backpacking 7
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Nick Who wants to have 2 nights at White Crack in March? General Discussion 0
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
wabenho 2 Nights in the Sawtooths Backpacking 23
C 3 Nights at Havasu Falls: Part 3 Backpacking 1
C 3 Nights at Havasu Falls Part 2 Backpacking 3
C 3 Nights at Havasu Falls Backpacking 2
Mikjik86 Backpacking Coyote Gulch, 3 Days, 2 Nights- October 2018 Backpacking 2
Ugly Two Kids and Two Nights at Silver Lake Backpacking 3
George_Washington_Hayduke 2 nights on the Green River Daily @13000cfs On The Water 1
kimbur96 2 nights in Little Brooklyn Hut, Snowy Mountain Range, Wyoming Winter Sports 4
muir_mountain Death Hollow (2 nights), Escalante National Monument, UT Backpacking 5
Mike Jones Yosemite snow shoeing 1-2 nights Trip Planning 6
S Backpacking and Camping- 3 nights in the Unitas Trip Planning 3
Nanda Invite Amethyst basin(or similar areas) couple nights in uintas Meet Up (Members Only) 3
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 35
Yvonne Hiking Yellowstone - 100 miles the Second Trip Planning 21
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
Born to Hike Backpacking Northern Windriver Range, solo 60+ miles, 5 days, mid September 2018 Backpacking 17
tomcat32 Weminuche Wandering- 95 miles Backpacking the Weminuche Wilderness Backpacking 7
Jackson Backcountry Vehicle Miles Per Year General Discussion 8
isleroyaleguy 170 Miles in the Sierra Nevada Backpacking 22
balzaccom Cycling miles....5,000 for the year Everything Else 9
steve Wind Rivers Traverse - Backpacking 90 miles in the Wind Rivers Backpacking 102
Parma Most Miles Hiked in a Day General Discussion 31
hikerboy maine-100 miles wilderness- a week in the woods Backpacking 6
WasatchWill 100 Miles From Nowhere General Discussion 5
Parma Think I can get 50 miles out of West, Middle, and Amethyst? General Discussion 5
steve Urban Paddling: 3 miles on the Jordan River in Taylorsville, UT On The Water 3
natylka 100 miles of Highline trail in Uintas Trip Planning 39
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
natylka Backpacking: Hurricane Wash into Coyote Gulch of 26 miles back in May Backpacking 3
natylka 24 Miles Weekend Backpacking at Red Castle in August Backpacking 9
natylka Hiking 25 miles at Capitol reef for the weekend. Hiking & Camping 19
Blake Merrell 50 miles of High Uinta Majesty! - A dream come true. Backpacking 24
WasatchWill Park City to Provo - 65 miles in 4 days Backpacking 22