+5 C° comfort temperature sleeping bag

Adr1an

Greetings!

I am interested in buying a new sleeping bag that has a comfort temperature around +5 C°. Searching around the web and documenting myself about potential options to choose from, the brand Mountain Hardwear emerged as maybe producing what I am looking for.
Before deciding if I should go for it or not, because I never had any product manufactured by them so far, I am interested to know what is your opinion about them?
Is it another brand that You would recommend or choose if You had to buy a good quality sleeping bag for yourself of this comfort temperature?

I thank You in advance for your time and kind attention.

Adrian
www.HitchhikingTips.com

I've never had a sleeping bag made by them, but I have multiple Mountain Hardwear jackets and I love them. They've both lasted me for about five years so far, and they'll probably last a lot longer. Haven't had any issues. I'd probably buy a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag if the price was right.

I've had a Lamina Z Spark 34F for six or seven years. Comfort rating is 6°C right where you want it.

Very light, packs down super small, has not ripped or torn, and no other problems that I can remember. Haven't used it in a few years just because it's not warm enough for where we are at these days.

Last edited:
5C=41F, so if you're an average to warm sleeper, a 40F bag should be good.
Even if you sleep hot, you can't really go lighter, as 40F is kind of a stepping off point, and the amount of insulation used plummets in quilts and bags rated for warmer than that.
By the same token, if you sleep cold, a 30F bag should still be plenty, because that step occurs in both directions, with 30F bags typically using significantly more insulation to get you past that 32F/0C freezing point. Some people, particularly women, who sleep very cold often do need an even warmer bag than that, though.

I have no experience with Mountain Hardwear bags..
Regardless, there are a few good 40F bags out there, and a plethora of 30F ones.
Maybe establish some criteria like weight, packability, price range, etc. to give people a chance at making more helpful suggestions. Do you need a long, short, regular, prefer a left or right zip, things like that.

Agree with @OwenM there for temperature and how many 30d bags there are.
Depends on where you are and what for but 0dC/30dF bag is just a little bit more useful to me.

I have two Mountain Hardware (MHW) bags.

I am not a warm sleeper, so my 45d Lamina from MHW has meant a couple less comfortable nights for me when the temps dropped into the low 40s, but it has been the go to for early summer to early fall in the desert, and because of its size my kids use it during the summer for mountain trips and just add a down throw or her puffy when it was cold.
The 45d Lamina is about 9 years old, has a little sand in it, and even after washing does not quite fluff up as good as it used to, but I would guess it has almost a hundred nights in it. It packs small and it is not ultralight, but also is not heavy at just over <2 lbs.

I also have a MHW Phanton Flame, 15d that is a few years old now. It has been my bag for shoulder season through winter as well as many alpine trips. It has over 60 nights in it. No issues with wear and tear, but I am not one to do things like sit around the fire in a sleeping bag or anything like that. Its comfort temp rating is right on for me. I am comfortable to 15d when bivouacking in winter.

For a budget friendly option take a peek at hyke and byke

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Had a 15d ultralamina MTN hdw bag for 12 years. Replaced it with a west Mtn one. Kept me plenty warm, paired it with a silk cocoon.... Hardly ever got cold as a three season. Quality is good warranty good. Only thing I didn't care for was the half zip on both sides

I'd get one rated in at least 20 f. Eating on bags are way estimated as everyone is different sleeping.

Thank everyone who answered so far - all useful feedback.

@OwenM: I don't understand in your post what do You mean with "is kind of a stepping off point" - I read your post more than once and I even looked on Google to see what "stepping off point" could mean in this context. If is possible for You to explain what did You mean with this here would be useful.

Weight: as little heavy as possible.
Packability: must fit into the bottom compartment of 40 liters backpacks
Price range: maximum 200 EUR
Zip: ideally, I would like two sleeping bags of the same model one for me and one for my girlfriend, and so it should be the type that has connectable zip with another sleeping bag in order to make it double

What I was getting at is that 40F is where you get into "real" sleeping bags.
Starting there(what I meant by stepping off point), there's an almost linear progression in the amount of loft, and the down fill necessary to achieve that loft, as the temperature rating gets lower. Typically, it's another .5" of loft, and 3-3.5oz of additional down fill in a normal sized sleeping bag for every 10F of additional warmth.
For whatever reason(physics), and generally speaking, somewhere between 40 and 50F we start requiring significantly more insulation to maintain body temperature, so bags rated for temps above 40F/5C can be much less warm than a 10F difference would suggest.

My point is simply that, even if you are a very warm sleeper, do not be tempted to push a bag rated any higher than 40F below its rating.

btw, joining two bags may sound good in theory, but 0-1 of the 2 people are likely to be happy.
One will be hot, one cold, and neither can move around as they please.
Reminds me of a 2 person kayak. My outfitter friend calls them "divorce boats"...

Ultralamina will not zip together.

Get a compression stuff sack. I use those and can get most bags in the 15 f range down to the size of a softball

If you are ready to invest $150 extra I would suggest to purchase the WM Summerlite which I had personally tested.
Hooded mummy is great for sleeping outdoors even if you don't have a sleeping pad or cushion. I got one for a military training exercise since the army ones aren't as comfortable. I didn't mind the price for comfort, however, it doesn't do well in wet conditions. Moisture still seeks in and gets a slight chemical smell.
Almost every outdoor review website on the net suggests it :scatman:
You need this model only if you are looking for something ulralight and super comfortable.

However, as far as I have reserached the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 5C sleeping bag has uite the same features, except the synthetic fill, total weight and comfort level, of course.

I have had the semi-rectangular +40F Western Mountaineering Mitylite for a few years. One of the best bags I have ever had. I have used it into the mid 30's. I can compress into a cooking pot. Almost.