3rd Time's a...Failure

As for shoes... I think we all have preferences or requirements. Like someone else said, my ankles would not do wonderful on most trails in runners but I also do not want to end up in a heavier shoe either. This last time I got a new pair, I went with some Salomon X-Ultra Mids which give me enough support but are really quite light and I can "feel" the trail.
Thanks, I am going to try the runners a couple more times and if I keep ending up in the same shape, I will switch back to more ankle support.

Sounds like an adventure! I am in the same boat this year as I really don't have anyone to go with.

That is some pretty bad swelling. If you have a podiatrist you might wanna get in an get it seen. Sometimes depending on the structure of your foot it is a good Idea to have custom footbeds. Do you pronate or supinate? Looks like you had no ankle support in those hiking shoes. Those work great if you are traveling UL in the 10-15 lb range. But if you are carrying over 25 lbs you will want to go with a mid to full hiking boot. We pay very little attention to our feet but we put them through hell.

Hope you feel better and keep backpacking! It is always a challenge that is 100% worth it. Cheers!

Sounds like an adventure! I am in the same boat this year as I really don't have anyone to go with.

That is some pretty bad swelling. If you have a podiatrist you might wanna get in an get it seen. Sometimes depending on the structure of your foot it is a good Idea to have custom footbeds. Do you pronate or supinate? Looks like you had no ankle support in those hiking shoes. Those work great if you are traveling UL in the 10-15 lb range. But if you are carrying over 25 lbs you will want to go with a mid to full hiking boot. We pay very little attention to our feet but we put them through hell.

Hope you feel better and keep backpacking! It is always a challenge that is 100% worth it. Cheers!

I am going to go to some REI events over the summer and try and find a friend! Lol

Yeah I keep meaning to go to a physical therapist about my right leg anyways. I should probably go about my foot too. The swelling is gone with minor pain, but it sure sounds crunchy whenever I roll my foot round and stretch it haha

Don't worry, a lot worse things will have to happen till I stop!

Well done, Lass. You get an -A- for effort.! Keep plugging away.

Great “encapsulated representations of earth’s beauty”! That is indeed why many of us hike and many of us also try to capture things on film. Well said.

That’s a success. You carried your gear, spent the night out, made it out in one piece (mostly) and got two valuable lessons. Secure the gear when absent and keep your eye out on other people. Thanks for posting, enjoyable.

That’s a success. You carried your gear, spent the night out, made it out in one piece (mostly) and got two valuable lessons. Secure the gear when absent and keep your eye out on other people. Thanks for posting, enjoyable.

Haha very true!! I think the only reason I consider it not a success is because I have been so itchy to spend multiple nights out there, and it got cut so short.
But YOU are very right! I am glad I was able to get out at all :)

Well done, Lass. You get an -A- for effort.! Keep plugging away.

Great “encapsulated representations of earth’s beauty”! That is indeed why many of us hike and many of us also try to capture things on film. Well said.

Well, as long as I get an A for something haha! Thanks for the support, can't wait to get back out.

Good on getting out there any way. I'll second the "A" for that. I think part of why I backpack is because every time it pushes my limits in new ways, and sometimes breaks me a bit. "Normal" life can get very comfortable, and that dead routine is, to me, a bit dangerous. Something that really shakes up your routine and state of normalcy is good once in a while (As long as it doesn't go sailing past Type 2 Fun!). I find backpacking to compress all the full range of emotions of life down, sometimes to within only a couple minutes (From deepest despair and misery to IT GOES!!!!!!11, or the fire sparks to life and you know your mild hypothermia will come to and end soon). Backpacking will make you stronger, and tell you a lot about yourself (Some of it you didn't want to hear but need to). Keep it up, and you'll see some really beautiful things.

Hope you are able to find more hiking partners. Still working on that myself. Well, I have some, but need more for the types of trips I'd really like to do (off trail is the best).

You went to the Trinity Alps. Yes! I did that trip in 1984 when I was a pup like you.:D

You went to the Trinity Alps. Yes! I did that trip in 1984 when I was a pup like you.:D

This has been my favorite wilderness or park so far. Much less strict than all the other places around. Still basically 'use your brain, and have fun!'