3rd Time's a...Failure

Miya

Because I am able.
Another short story inspired by the backpacking mishaps of Miya and Bobbi. (I really go back through and cut out as many words as I can, but it is still long...)

https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/What-Could-Have-Been

I have a total of 8 days scheduled off and have been planning the LCT trip since last summer. However, I recently realized that Bobbi just wouldn't be able to handle the LCT, nor enjoy it. I knew this wouldn't take my full 8 days, but decided on the Stuart Fork Trail, Weaverville, CA. It is 25 miles, but I planned a 38 mile loop just in case Bobbi was willing to do the miles. She was NOT. So we planned a leisurely backpacking trip, Saturday the 19th - Tuesday the 22nd.

This was only my 3rd backpacking attempt, and even though I tried to be really casual with my planning, I still wouldn't consider this trip a 'success'. After this trip, Bobbi has officially given up backpacking and will no longer go with me. :cry: So hopefully I can make backpacking friends manifest with sheer mental power!

I know I will complete a backpacking trip one day! And I have every intention of going back to Stuart Fork! There isn't a lot that ever stops me.

Heads up, I really am not happy with any of the photos and didn't take many, because I thought we had all the time in the world! While I brought my Lego, she did not have her photo taken, again, because of the unexpected end to our trip. Lastly, Lego is going to retire and I am going to be taking a different figurine/s.

I left work early on Friday. Picked up Bobbi and drove the 4 and a half hours to the TH. We got there about midnight and slept in the back of my new car!

Stuart Fork.jpg

Bobbi remembered to bring Matty, a stuffed bear her late husband gave her.

Stuart Fork-2.jpg

Both wearing new shoes for the hike. We both knew it wasn't the best idea, but didn't have time to break them in beforehand.

Foot High 5.jpg

I could have spent all day trying to take photos here. It was in a weird spot. I think Bobbi got some good photos of me laying precariously on the ground trying not to fall into the creek. Haha I love moss!

Stuart Fork-5.jpg

Stuart Fork Selfie.jpg

Lots of downed trees and creeks to cross = lots of fun!
Stuart Fork-14.jpg

Stuart Fork-11.jpg

'Perty'...

Stuart Fork-9.jpg

I fell down trying to get this photo haha. This tree is tall...

Stuart Fork-15.jpg

These flowers grew on top of the trees, it was the weirdest thing. I stood on tiptoes, on rocks, or logs, trying to get a shot of these lovelies. Luckily, I came across one at neck level. Its center looks like little orchids.

Stuart Fork-16.jpg

I thought camp was only 6 miles, turned out to be 9.
At mile 7.5, I realized I left my water bottle a mile back... :facepalm: I jogged back to get it. Bobbi went on without me because she had dropped her pack in a creek earlier and wanted to get camp set up and make sure she had time to dry her gear. Luckily, we both passed the trail to camp and I ended up catching up to her. We were giving up on the designated campground when a savior appeared! He took me back to water and showed me where him and his friends had their base camp set up. I forced Bobbi to get up and head back to the designated Morris Meadows Campground.
This meadow represents the idea of why a lot of people hike, I believe. It is this encapsulated representation of Earth's beauty. Prettier in person, obviously.

Stuart Fork-18.jpg

Stuart Fork-20.jpg

Our campsite was nice, but we were already planning on taking the men's campsite. They were going to leave the next day and had a crystal clear stream flowing through their site! This area had brave deer. They continued to walk through our site and we could get within 5-10 feet of them!
Bobbi made a fire and I drank a cocktail from a bowl, then I went to bed.

Stuart Fork-21.jpg

The next morning, as soon as the men left, we moved our gear. Wish I had taken a picture of the site, but I will make sure to go back and stay there again. We planned on doing a day hike to Emerald Lake (4 miles) and then get back to camp early enough to take photos and play cards and just relax.

As soon as we started walking, I realized that my right foot hurt/stung. Oh well...my vacation, and it was going to be a short 8 miles with no pack. I pushed through.

Stuart Fork-23.jpg

Stuart Fork-25.jpg

Made it to Emerald Lake, took off my shoe to rub my foot and looked back to a very black sky...

Stuart Fork-29.jpg

Stuart Fork-27.jpg

I had told Bobbi it was going to rain, so I was excited to rain hike!! However, didn't want us slipping down the steepest part of the hike over all the rocks. I let Bobbi know we should head back right away.
"Ummm, yeah, I left my tent open!" Bobbi exclaims. :stomp:

Holy heck...so with my pained foot, I set off to try and beat the rain and close her tent.
The first wave of rain hit, and it wasn't too bad!
I jogged whenever I felt it was safe, but I still managed to roll my hurting foot and I fell pretty hard several times.
The 2nd wave came, short, but heavier, and delivered rounds of thunder.
"The meadow!" I gasped.
Camp was less than a mile away...I ran!
But, the third wave hit...and it was a downpour. My foot hurt terribly, and I was soaking wet. Yet, it was all amazing! Nothing makes me feel so free and revitalized as rain.
I dashed to Bobbi's tent, and what do I see...? Puddles forming in her sleeping bag. I closed up her tent and went to round up all the gear we had left out. I threw everything under one of my vestibules. Luckily, even though I had left one part of the vestibule open, my tent was bone dry.
I got out of my wet clothes and hoped to air dry, while I waited for Bobbi. I thought of all of our options. I had my dry sleep clothes and if Bobbi's PJs were dry, we could just share my tent.
I loved sitting there, cold, and exhausted and listening to the rain. I must be a form of masochist.
Bobbi showed up an hour later and let me know that her PJs were soaked too. So..."We have to leave", I told her.

We walked the 9 miles back to the car and I got home at 2:30 AM.

I still don't know what I did to my foot on that first day, but it sure ballooned up nicely. LOL

Stuart Fork-35.jpg

Stuart Fork-36.jpg

Not so new now. :giggle:

Stuart Fork-33.jpg

Got to dry my gear.

Stuart Fork-30.jpg

Stuart Fork-32.jpg

Can't wait to do it all again! (minus the foot thing) :twothumbs:

Thanks for sharing. This looks like a beautiful area!

Congrats on the Subie! I love mine. I am a little disappointed that they removed the hitch knock-out on the rear bumper in the newer models. I really like how my hitch is mounted to use that knock-out and preserves ground clearance and departure angle.

Hang in there. I would say that no trip goes exactly as planned and that is part of what makes them awesome. You handled the twists and turns of this trip very well and hopefully that is building your confidence. Your experience will have you more prepared for future trips, especially if you are still considering going solo.

Dang ankles anyway.
I always like your reports, not for any of the suffering or learning, but because of your peppy go get-em attitude.

The flowers on top of the tree, I believe is a dogwood. Saw my first one in Yosemite as a kid, then when I was in Philly they became one of my favorite parts of spring!

your trips are always an adventure, but I love reading them.
Crazy with your foot.
I once rolled my ankle on lava and it didn't hurt for a long time. It just went black and was swelling pretty good.

Not related to this, but just woke up. I dreamt that a volcano erupted outside my house! Luckily, all my animals were safe.
I must be worried about you haha

Thanks for sharing. This looks like a beautiful area!

Congrats on the Subie! I love mine. I am a little disappointed that they removed the hitch knock-out on the rear bumper in the newer models. I really like how my hitch is mounted to use that knock-out and preserves ground clearance and departure angle.

Hang in there. I would say that no trip goes exactly as planned and that is part of what makes them awesome. You handled the twists and turns of this trip very well and hopefully that is building your confidence. Your experience will have you more prepared for future trips, especially if you are still considering going solo.

Oh, that is a bummer. I wonder why they removed it? I put 1500 miles on it since I got it the 15th haha She will be a good one.

Actually I tried to go solo on Wednesday in Yosemite, gave my foot a day and a half for the swelling to subside. But none of the campgrounds were open and the snow was up to my thighs so I headed home. Lol but I will keep trying!

Say it ain't so! :(
Haha sorry, she is too high maintenance because she falls apart and I am always wanting to buy her new pieces.
I am not even a Lego person, she just kinda showed up. The new figures are childhood favorites lol

Dang ankles anyway.
I always like your reports, not for any of the suffering or learning, but because of your peppy go get-em attitude.

The flowers on top of the tree, I believe is a dogwood. Saw my first one in Yosemite as a kid, then when I was in Philly they became one of my favorite parts of spring!

I know, stupid ankles. Idk if it was because I switched to trail runners and I really so need the extra support? I am going to try them again though.

Oh hey, they are Dogwood! Thank you! The trees did not look as full bloomed as google, more lightly dispersed, but still loved them.

sometimes it takes some short hikes to get your feet, ankles, legs accustomed to trail runners (especially if you're using Altras). But don't worry, plenty of trails out there to explore & you'll have many successes to tell us about!!

sometimes it takes some short hikes to get your feet, ankles, legs accustomed to trail runners (especially if you're using Altras). But don't worry, plenty of trails out there to explore & you'll have many successes to tell us about!!

Agreed.
So much of it is preference, and then actually adjusting.

We used to prefer canyoneering in old tennis shoes, but no way my feet or ankles could hold up to that now, and there are so many options now it is just finding what works best.

I have issues with all my joints, but some of that is age, some are prior sports injuries, and some has been not having done enough strengthening. I spent all winter in PT to figure some of it out and was feeling good until my daughter went studs in on my ankle at soccer practice, which set things back a month or two. Heading back out with a pack to try out the ankle in a couple of hours.

Almost looks like they were laced too tight. I’ve done that on runs before.

Good luck finding backpacking pals. The apparent scarcity of them is why a lot of us solo, lol.

Almost looks like they were laced too tight. I’ve done that on runs before.

Good luck finding backpacking pals. The apparent scarcity of them is why a lot of us solo, lol.

Here I was thinking too loose. What actually hurts is my arches, but for whatever reason it is swollen on the top of my foot. Oh well. It is looking better!

Haha yeah, makes sense. Seems like I will have to make solo work even if it isn't my fave.

Remember what Yvon Chouinard says: The adventure begins when something goes wrong. You had a good trip. We've had lots of them like that, in one way or another. Don't stop, just avoid making those mistakes, so you can make other ones!

Absolutely agree! If it went perfect, then I wouldn't feel like I have a good story afterward ;)

You’ll be just fine because you have the right attitude. Just keep on working at it and it’ll start falling into place. These are all valuable learning lessons. I’m sure you’ll never leave camp again without thinking “is everything cool here just in case it rains?” You’re also a good friend for running through the rain in a bum ankle to try and help her out. And is it just me or did anyone else think that rock under the mossy waterfall looks just like a sitting cat? Thanks for a great read as always.

Last edited:
You’ll be just fine because you have the right attitude. Just keep on working at it and it’ll start falling into place. These are all valuable learning lessons. I’m sure you’ll never leave camp again without thinking “is everything cool here just in case it rains?” You’re also a good friend for running through the rain in a bum ankle to try and help her out. And is it just me or did anyone else think that rock under the mossy waterfall looks just like a sitting car? Thanks for a great read as always.

Very true! But more like "ok, does everyone have their shit together and closed up?!" Haha

I think sometimes we can appreciate the trips that did not go as expected or perhaps we remember them more. It is all a learning experience though and the fact that you have such an awesome attitude about it all just means this one will not come close to slowing you down.

As for shoes... I think we all have preferences or requirements. Like someone else said, my ankles would not do wonderful on most trails in runners but I also do not want to end up in a heavier shoe either. This last time I got a new pair, I went with some Salomon X-Ultra Mids which give me enough support but are really quite light and I can "feel" the trail.

Good luck and keep posting more adventures!