3 strikes on Plateau Point

Kristen M. Caldon Photo

Backcountry and Remote Locations Imagery
Last week I had my yearly cross canyon hike, and as I baked in the sun, sweated out the humidity, moving slowly along the trails, soaking all the sights in. I watched the storms move in and out every afternoon, building each day, winds would pick up and swirling clouds would rush in, pelting down rain, kicking up dirt, and draining the canyons in massive flash floods. I hoped that when I climbed out the Bright Angel Trail from the Colorado River, that the storms would build again when I would have the chance to get right out in the middle of it all, Plateau Point. This is one of my favorite locations; 1,300 ft. above the Colorado River with big views in all directions, a fine place to find oneself in the Grand Canyon.
Come to find out, luck was with me. I was out on the porch at Indian Gardens writing a letter when I looked up and saw the most dramatic, magnificent light out on the North Rim, with storms heading my way. I ran, almost all the way out to Plateau Point (1.5 miles) and plopped down at the very edge, ready for action! As I held myself steady, finger tight on the shutter and ready to click, I begged for the lighting, tempted the storm, "Come on, Zoro, BOOM, Brahma, BOOM, Come on, let me catch you, BOOM!"
I shot until the storm blocked out the golden afternoon light, and I got up and ran back, all lit up, lightning, rainstorm on my heels. plateaupt.3strikesweb.jpg

Feature image for home page:
slide.jpg

I was very excited to see that you've posted something new.

What a shot!

I really need to get down in that canyon. I'm jealous of all of the time you've been able to spend in it. Keep it up!

I hope one day I can head to Grand Canyon during an electric storm. This would top all of my storm chasing adventures so far.

I know the feeling when you beg for a lightning strike to happen while shooting. And all the hit and miss shots and you're still hoping for the perfect shot. I really love your shot and wish that one day I will get something similar.

Gorgeous photo! Reminds me of watching a couple storms last year at the north rim

You have a knack for the right place at the right time. Thanks for posting

Salud

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana 2024 CO Plateau conditions General Discussion 7
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Jackson Bechler 4 (and the Pitchstone Plateau) Backpacking 19
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
westy Colorado Plateau spring Hiking & Camping 0
fossana CO Plateau nuisance flora/fauna conditions 2023 Trip Planning 13
F THE GOLDEN STAIRS, KAIPAROWITS PLATEAU, A SEQUEL Backpacking 9
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20
F Up on the Kaiparowits Plateau Backpacking 21
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
westy Beartooth plateau Backpacking 1
P Pitchstone Plateau water Backpacking 7
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
fossana CO Plateau backpacking suggestions for spring run-off season Trip Planning 14
scatman Plateau Lake and Buffalo Meadows, Yellowstone National Park 7/27 - 7/30 Backpacking 18
B Trip Selection Help: Tumble Creek or Sanford-Dadina Plateau (WStE AK) Trip Planning 12
regehr Kaiparowits Plateau Trip Planning 7
scatman Mirror Plateau and the Lamar River Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 7, 2016 Backpacking 38
IntrepidXJ Easter Weekend Around the Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 1
IntrepidXJ Dome Plateau Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Invite Mirror Plateau - Upper Lamar River - Hoodoo Basin - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 27
BJett Cumberland Plateau - Obed/Big South Fork Hiking & Camping 7
John Goering Beartooth Mountains, Lake Plateau Backpacking 11
Joey Yellowstone's Pitchstone Plateau, Ferris Fork, Bechler Canyon Loop Backpacking 8
kansas October trip to Uncompahgre Plateau Trip Planning 14
John Goering Beartooth's Hellroaring Plateau Backpacking 10
hatchcanyon Dome Plateau (2009) Off Road 8
hatchcanyon Dome Plateau (2002) Off Road 3
scatman Pitchstone Plateau / Bechler River / Union Falls Loop - YNP - 8/3/14 Backpacking 23
Christian A Desert that's as sculptured as the Colorado Plateau General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ The Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 10
IntrepidXJ Annular Solar Eclipse & The Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Pencil Point - March 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
wsp_scott Point Reyes August 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
balzaccom Point Reyes wildlife Hiking & Camping 2
Tim Valentine Point Reyes National Seashore December 2021 Hiking & Camping 14
BackpackingtheSierras Point Reyes National Seashore Coast Camp Trip Backpacking 4
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Sand Point & Cape Flattery Hiking & Camping 5
Miya 'Rain' in the New Year - Point Reyes National Seashore, CA Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Junior Point, Chelan Mountains, WA Backpacking 1
Eugene Monument Point to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 9
J Burr Point Happy Canyon Airstrip Trip Planning 0
TrektheWorld I need a new point and shoot camera Photography 1