2015/2016 All things snow thread

uintafly

Not sure if there are many skiers/boarders on this site so the thread may die. But if not I figured I would start a snow thread for the 2015/2016 season.

After upgrading my touring setup and throwing down for a Soli weekday pass ski fever has sucked me in. Finding it harder and harder to concentrate on life. I NEED SNOW!!!

Maybe I'll finally break-in my Arbor splitboard that I split myself like 8 years ago and never used. I had a Voile split before that that was nice for kicking around on in the Uintas. I'd like to get out for a bit of that again this year. But more likely, I'll stick to the icy formations in the desert this winter. With that said, winter trip reports are awesome. Post 'em!

I've had the goal of trying out cross country skiing for the past 6 years. Guess I'll keep that going.

Friends @colefeet, @San_Taco, and @Artemus and their human powered downhill have me thinking about giving that a try as well.

It's tough to get into another hobby that requires so much time, training, and gear though.

This year will be my second winter skiing and first winter dabbling into backcountry. It's a nice little hobby to get outside more in the winter months. Unfortunately I'll end up spending more on skiing this year than on hiking. Crazy expensive hobby.

This year will be my second winter skiing and first winter dabbling into backcountry. It's a nice little hobby to get outside more in the winter months. Unfortunately I'll end up spending more on skiing this year than on hiking. Crazy expensive hobby.
+1 on the 'Crazy expensive Hobby'

Yeah, about that... :scatman:

I've written just a handful of trip reports, frankly, in the last couple years. I find myself much more invested in planning the next one, than in rehashing the previous one. I do occasionally write a short little vignette or two, to try and paint a picture of a certain outdoor experience. To me, that's much more universal and frankly important than where I stayed, how far I hiked, etc. But, truth be told, mostly I'm just lazy :cool: Kudos to you and Nick (among others), who always put together very nice TR's that are fun to read.

At some point I'm going to finish my post on the Hayduke, sections 2 and 3 (I did those sections this past spring). I think that's worthy of being TR'ed. But it's several thousand words and bloviated enough that only my grandparents would ever read the thing.

Also just a point of parliamentary procedure... GS skis are used exclusively on groomers and are thus unsuitable for a trip report on Backcountry Post :lol:

Also speaking of which, any BCP'ers have night passes up at Brighton? A BCP ski night would be a hoot. Or break out the AT gear and tour up at night (Brighton doesn't restrict uphill travel, even if you don't have a pass)

Yeah, about that... :scatman:

I've written just a handful of trip reports, frankly, in the last couple years. I find myself much more invested in planning the next one, than in rehashing the previous one. I do occasionally write a short little vignette or two, to try and paint a picture of a certain outdoor experience. To me, that's much more universal and frankly important than where I stayed, how far I hiked, etc. But, truth be told, mostly I'm just lazy :cool: Kudos to you and Nick (among others), who always put together very nice TR's that are fun to read.

At some point I'm going to finish my post on the Hayduke, sections 2 and 3 (I did those sections this past spring). I think that's worthy of being TR'ed. But it's several thousand words and bloviated enough that only my grandparents would ever read the thing.

Also just a point of parliamentary procedure... GS skis are used exclusively on groomers and are thus unsuitable for a trip report on Backcountry Post :lol:

I hear ya. I just like reading trip reports so I was messing with you. We should try to get the Micro Trip Reports thread going more for the people who just want to post a pic or two and a few sentences. I'll take what I can get.

Also speaking of which, any BCP'ers have night passes up at Brighton? A BCP ski night would be a hoot. Or break out the AT gear and tour up at night (Brighton doesn't restrict uphill travel, even if you don't have a pass)
I don't have one....YET!!!

I don't have one....YET!!!
Night skiing once or twice a week just makes the week so better. You can wear your ski socks to work under your dress pants. It's terrific. I'd really encourage getting a night pass it if you have the coin to drop on it.

Also if you go to Arctic Circle on a Wednesday, you can get a two-fer-one coupon for Wednesday night ski. When in odd numbers, my friends have never had trouble finding a second person up there who wants a half-off ticket to split it with. Who knows, may see you up there this winter! I'm the guy in the puke green ski jacket with long blond hair coming out the helmet.

I hear ya. I just like reading trip reports so I was messing with you. We should try to get the Micro Trip Reports thread going more for the people who just want to post a pic or two and a few sentences. I'll take what I can get.
How about a "Weekend Warriors November 7-8" thread or something like that? It's like micro trip reports, but specific to a particular weekend so the thread doesn't get huge and take forever to load.

Night skiing once or twice a week just makes the week so better. You can wear your ski socks to work under your dress pants. It's terrific. I'd really encourage getting a night pass it if you have the coin to drop on it.

Also if you go to Arctic Circle on a Wednesday, you can get a two-fer-one coupon for Wednesday night ski. When in odd numbers, my friends have never had trouble finding a second person up there who wants a half-off ticket to split it with. Who knows, may see you up there this winter! I'm the guy in the puke green ski jacket with long blond hair coming out the helmet.

I'll consider myself warned!!:D

How about a "Weekend Warriors November 7-8" thread or something like that? It's like micro trip reports, but specific to a particular weekend so the thread doesn't get huge and take forever to load.

Love the idea!!!

I am excited for winter as well. If what I have heard is correct we should be getting a decent amount of snow this winter. Last year I did an weekend snowshoe trip to a cabin and went to Cedar Breaks National Monument. I had a blast. This winter I hope to try some winter camping or learn how to ski!

DSC06109.JPG DSC06097.JPG

Wednesday night skiing at Brighton under the lights is how I learned to telemark. Our workflow (ski, fall, drink pitcher of beer, rinse and repeat) did a lot to alleviate the fear and especially the pain. :moses:

Wednesday night skiing at Brighton under the lights is how I learned to telemark. Our workflow (ski, fall, drink pitcher of beer, rinse and repeat) did a lot to alleviate the fear and especially the pain. :moses:
If I drank a beer every time I fell, I'd be three sheets to the wind within an hour of first chair. I'm now at that awkward stage where the "this is my first winter on skis; I'm just learning" doesn't work anymore, but I'm still not, you know, any good at skiing.:wavespin:

Speaking of such things, first turns of the season up at Alta today!
E9oj8xJ.jpg

I found a new favorite thread. Hoping to find white stuff to play in next week on my week off. Will report back.