2012 Plans

My only goal for 2012 is a backpacking trip to Sid's Mountain in the San Rafael Swell (probably in April/May). I did a loooong day hike there several years ago and found some rock art and artifacts, but didn't have time to explore at all. I don't think there's any reliable water there so I'll have to pack in enough for me and my dog. Other than that, got a Maze trip shaping up for June. :D

I hope to squeeze in a quick backpacking trip down south in February. Not sure where, just some place worth seeing and not too cold. Valley or Fire in March.
I hope to score a coveted Smith River permit in Montana and float that with my Dad for a few days around Memorial Day. Late Spring hoping to get a trip into Coyote Gulch or Grand Gulch.
Summer, I hope to make it into the Winds before we have our first kid. Also climbing at City of Rocks.
Fall, we are planning on bringing the baby to Yellowstone and hang out with family and watch the Elk Rut. Hope life hasn't changed too much and squeeze in another backpacking trip down south.

the only solid plans I have are to backpack Havasupai falls in late may. I'm beyond excited for it.
beyond that I have tentatively planned to hit up:
1. muddy creek again - this time do the whole hike as an overnighter.
2. zions narrows again - this time with the overnight stay planned..
3. I want to backpack in the sawtooths this year
4. I really want to get to horse shoe canyon
5. {tons of other places I've gawked at after some the trip reports I've seen...}
6. Also want to summit pfeifferhorn and a few other local peaks.
7. want to beat last years mileage total (it was about 250, though I only started keeping track in Early May) by at least 100 miles.

My Goal for the summer is to backpack/hike all of the highest points including ridges that I can see from my house, so 50% of the oquirrhs, a good chunk of the stansburys, a couple of islands, a chunk of the Tintic range.. going to be fun, ultralight slogfest :)

Nice goal. Kind of inspiring seeing how I've lived in SLC for like 6 years now and have only hiked a few miles in the wasatch. :rolleyes:

1. muddy creek again - this time do the whole hike as an overnighter.

Are you talking from Tomsich to Hidden Splendor?
What did you end of doing last time?

4. I really want to get to horse shoe canyon
also on my list... let me know where your going. I have spent a lot of time in that area but have yet to do horseshoe.. go figure ;)

Also want to summit pfeifferhorn and a few other local peaks.
I would love to backpack up to Red Pine, setup camp, and then summit the Pfeifferhorn on a week night this summer.

ISummer, I hope to make it into the Winds before we have our first kid. Also climbing at City of Rocks.
Fall, we are planning on bringing the baby to Yellowstone and hang out with family and watch the Elk Rut. Hope life hasn't changed too much.

Austin- kids will change things a little bit- but only to the extent you let them. You can still do everything with kids that you did before kids- except maybe the weeklong backpacking trips- but you can still do the shorter ones. Be a little flexible and creative.

My first went peakbagging, slot canyons, hiking, a few short backpacking trips, canoing, snowshoeing, camping 12-20 nights, etc all before the 1st b-day.

Are you talking from Tomsich to Hidden Splendor?
What did you end of doing last time?

I ended up going a few miles in from each over two days. So one day we went down from tomisch and the other day we went upstream from hidden splendor. Not the greatest idea fyi haha. But yea, definitely want to go from Tomsich down to the airstrip.

also on my list... let me know where your going. I have spent a lot of time in that area but have yet to do horseshoe.. go figure ;)

Not sure yet, I've thought about trying to do it for spring break in march and paring it with like moonshine and colonnade or something.

I would love to backpack up to Red Pine, setup camp, and then summit the Pfeifferhorn on a week night this summer.

That could be a fun bcpost get together ..

So I thought I would check on my #8 Havasupai with the in-laws. She wants to go Memorial Day weekend!! Bleh. Guess I will be going just kids and I at a later date.

So I thought I would check on my #8 Havasupai with the in-laws. She wants to go Memorial Day weekend!! Bleh. Guess I will be going just kids and I at a later date.
This just means you have to squeeze something else into #8's spot, right? :)

Though I usually don't plan too far ahead......I really want to do Keet Seel as a dayhike this year. Most folks do it as an overnighter......has anyone on the forum here done it as a dayhike? Think it is about 18 miles round trip....shouldn't be too bad except the season for getting the permits and hiking in there is during the hottest part of the year.
No other real plans than just hanging out on Comb Ridge.....always finding new sites and adventures there.......

I'm kind of insane, but I like it.
So I'm planning a short 5 day trip to Capitol Reef this April.
Again an emergency for the usage of my Delta Airlines miles. No real plans so far, but I'm thinking about a short backpack and some day hikes.

Sweet! I hope you have fun. I'll be spending a few days at Capitol Reef before I meet up with you for Coyote Gulch. Man, that's going to be a kick ass vacation!:D

Sweet! I hope you have fun. I'll be spending a few days at Capitol Reef before I meet up with you for Coyote Gulch. Man, that's going to be a kick ass vacation!:D

Aren't you a week before me in Spring Canyon?
So I'm hoping of some input from you all after that trip. :)
And after our Coyote Trip in May I'll will spend another day or two in Capitol Reef.
I really love the park a lot and there is still so much to explore.

Aren't you a week before me in Spring Canyon?
So I'm hoping of some input from you all after that trip. :)
And after our Coyote Trip in May I'll will spend another day or two in Capitol Reef.
I really love the park a lot and there is still so much to explore.

Yeah, Spring Canyon will be late March. I'd be happy to give you input after that trip.:) Capitol Reef is my favorite park. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it this year.

Any big ambitious trip plans for 2012?

Looks like I'm headed back for another long hike across a chunk of southern Utah. The official details are still in the works, but the general plan is to hike from Bryce to Moab. I'm hoping to hit several segments which I haven't done in my previous trips. In broad strokes it will be: Bryce, Paria, Kaiparowitz, Red Breaks, Little Death Hollow, Muley Twist, Henrys, Happy Canyon, The Maze, Indian Creek, Behind the Rocks.

I'm already getting TOO excited -- won't be headed out until mid-to-late April. I will post more details as they fall into place.

Can anybody predict the weather for late April / early May?

I'd love to see any of you guys out there on the trail -- especially if you have extra food with you. :)

- Jamal