2001: A Space Odyssey in Utah

Awesome work UDink!

Inspired by your framegrab I went back and took a closer look and found it myself. I had a gut instinct for the general area, but couldn't track it down. Funny at that time earlier in the day I thought about you and this forum's great "Where is it?" history! Good stuff!

Awesome work UDink!

Inspired by your framegrab I went back and took a closer look and found it myself. I had a gut instinct for the general area, but couldn't track it down. Funny at that time earlier in the day I thought about you and this forum's great "Where is it?" history! Good stuff!

I am not trying to find it, I’m just curious how far from a road it is. Is it impressive that they carried it there or is it a short hike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not trying to find it, I’m just curious how far from a road it is. Is it impressive that they carried it there or is it a short hike?

It wouldn't be very difficult to carry it from the nearest dirt road. It's less than 1/3 of a mile from the road as the crow flies.

521de8a31dfe701f79b3ba30e41f7467.jpg

Keep it secret. Keep it safe?

521de8a31dfe701f79b3ba30e41f7467.jpg

Keep it secret. Keep it safe?

I'm not particularly concerned about keeping it "safe", since it's just a corny piece of new-age "modern art" (aka some aluminum tubing you could probably find at Home Depot) and was obviously placed on our public land without authorization.

As far as its immediate surroundings, the whole area is slickrock and accessible via well-established road. So I don't see a ton of sustainability concerns with bringing more people out to see it. Plus the tow companies would love it when all the Honda Odysseys break down way out there.

As far as its more general neighborhood, that particular part of the world has been subject to a lot of controversy (even before the establishment/shrinking of BENM) re drilling. IMO, the push to drill in the area was making headway largely because it was just a "blank spot on the map" in most people's minds. If the corny new-age crap means that more people are invested in protecting this particular corner of Utah, I'm all for it.

That said, I'm not gonna be the one to spill the beans any more than they're already spilt. Half the fun is in the hunt. :D

GE location has been linked up to this on Reddit. I was actually stumped myself. I was looking northward and eastward of Abyss/Negro Bill Canyons at first, then went back and looked at @IntrepidXJ insta page, and saw Rustler Canyon, so that brought me down into Canyonlands area, but that area was still too broad. I had looked at the shadows in the images and figured it was in a spot draining southward, and sure enough, indeed it does. There will be tons of folks driving down there to get their insta selfies with it as word gets out if BLM doesn't haul it out quick.

Some comments from the Salt Lake Tribune:

Just looking at it, the proportions of the object are clearly not 1-4-9. It's not from the Space Odyssey.
It's also not a monolith. That word is from the Greek μονό λιθος, meaning "one stone." This thing is not one piece, nor is it stone.
I would consult with a HAL 9000 computer before doing anything rash. We all know what happened the last time humans dug one these things up.
If they don't remove it, somebody will make it their mission to find it and vandalize it.
The coordinates have already been published. It can be seen on Google earth. There are already many apes surrounding it.
It would be an inviting target for a .22.
It is already vandalism, in a sense. A form of graffiti.
Somehow I thought it would be bigger.
Cool, but not nearly as cool as the Great Gallery or other polychrome barrier-style rock art panels in SE Utah. Not even close.

Dave says leave it alone.