1 Year Old's Birthday Backpacking Trip

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher
20160422_205644-01.jpeg

Javan just turned 1 years old. It was time to go backpacking.

I have been dreaming of this day for ages. It was time to make it happen. But how do you execute a trip like this!?

First thing i had to do was commit. I knew that when it came down to the wire, that it would be easy to bail on the trip. "It's just be easier to stay home..." "It is to cold..." "The weather is to bad..." "There are to many things to plan for the weekend...."

Yeah, all those excuses surfaced. We went anyway. I was happy we did :)

I just wanted to share a few moments that made the trip special.

We went camping on the west side of West Mountain. Chantel and I hiked here a couple years ago and discovered how pretty this simple mountain can be. It was a treat to revisit the area with our new son.

While we were hiking Javan would grab my trekking poles and help me walk. It was a simple gesture of curiosity, but I loved it.

Javan had just received his first, and very own, sleeping bag. I was excited for him to try it out. we had it laid out horizontally in the tent, just above our heads. When it came time to sleep, he would have nothing to do with it. When we would try and put him in his bag, he would kick off the cover, and army crawl close to us. once he was close he slept perfectly. So far Javan has been a great camper. every camp out we have gone on, he has slept well. We feel super spoiled.

About 5 AM, the a storm rolled in and fierce winds picked up. The winds were strong enough that they were collapsing my tent. Javan was sound asleep through it all, until we tried to move him. Once he woke up he was having fun looking at all the tent movement, and listening to the loud noises! He seemed to be loving the experience! mom and dad.... not so much. We packed up and headed home and had breakfast at McDonald's :)

In the end I chalk up the whole experience as a great success. We all had a good time and created wonderful memories.

I want more of this in my life.

Last edited:
I see so many people get tied down and never go on adventures when they start a family... Good for you!

Javan is already turning into quite the backpacker! I'm sure he'll appreciate his sleeping bag as time goes on... :sleepy2:

I see so many people get tied down and never go on adventures when they start a family... Good for you!

Javan is already turning into quite the backpacker! I'm sure he'll appreciate his sleeping bag as time goes on... :sleepy2:

Thanks! I hope I can guide him to love the outdoors as he grows up. I hope he learns to like the sleeping bag. mine isn't big enough for the two of us haha

Big Agnes makes bags rated to 15 or so for when the day comes. Living where I do, the 30 degree bags have a short season. Our kids have the 15 degree bags and with some fleece blankets, they can be comfortable 6-8 months of the year in a tent, almost year-round in a semi-heated cabin.

Well done, it's actually easier when they're one as you can carry them and go at your pace....apart from diaper and food stops!
Still my older one has been away every one of her 8 years including the South-West 3 times, and the one year old did Moab and Dinosaur areas last year. the heat in their summer school vacation was the main problem

Well done, it's actually easier when they're one as you can carry them and go at your pace....apart from diaper and food stops!
I believe it! The more independent they get the more difficult traveling seems to become.

Still my older one has been away every one of her 8 years including the South-West 3 times, and the one year old did Moab and Dinosaur areas last year. the heat in their summer school vacation was the main problem
So cool! I hope to be like that with my kids.

Love the post! It only gets easier too and best of all they start out loving backpacking from the beginning and not fearing or dreading it. My kids are constantly begging me to go and it puts a big smile on my face every time.

Love the post! It only gets easier too and best of all they start out loving backpacking from the beginning and not fearing or dreading it. My kids are constantly begging me to go and it puts a big smile on my face every time.
Thanks! Hoping my kids love it that much! I grew up on a farm with unlimited outdoor space to play in. I loved it. Unfortunately my kid won't have that kind of exposure to the outdoors. I'm hoping regular hikes and campout will help them love outside as much as I did/do

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I love this. My parents used to take my brother and I camping back in the late 60's early 70's (yes, I am old) We had an old canvas tent that must have weighed 70#s. We would go on little days hikes or rock scrambling. Then my dad got really into rock climbing and our summers were spent in Yosemite valley with all the other hippie rock climbers. I am convinced my love for the outdoors was created back in those days. I love to see the new parents carrying the tradition and cultivating that love in their kids. Good job!

I think it is wonderful that you are getting out with your young son. There is nothing like the amazement a young person can bring to a camping trip, a completely open and wondrous point of view.On our honeymoon trip into Coyote Gulch in the late 70's we met another hippie couple, they had a very young child on their shoulders (they had backpacked the length of Coyote Gulch), this was in early June, very hot. Everyone was having a great time, sharing oranges, I remember sitting in the creek under an overhang, with the baby splashing and having a great time. This gave my wife and I incentive to bring our future child up in and around slickrock and the mountains. I would like to think that those trips formed an everlasting impression on him about our environment. He is 25 now, and we are currently hoping for the best :).
And happy Mothers Day.

Last edited: