0 Degree Semi-Rectangular Down Sleeping Bag?

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
I have a few trips scheduled later this year that I think I'm going to need a bag rated down to colder temperatures than my 25 degree bag. I'm a cold sleeper, so I'm looking at getting a 0 degree bag. Preferably, I would like something similar to my Western Mountaineering Sycamore MF bag, since I absolutely love that bag. Of course I looked at WM for a new bag, but I'm not ready to drop $500-700 on a bag that I may only use a handful of times (Not sure how much cold weather camping I may do in the future, if it turns out to be a lot, I may eventually get the WM bag). I do not like mummy bags and am looking for a semi-rectangular bag with a hood...also I would prefer down...and it needs to come in long.

After some searching, the only other bag I have come across that meets these requirements is the Kelty Coromell 0 Degree:

http://www.kelty.com/p-451-coromell-0.aspx

Anyone have any experience with Kelty bags? It looks like I can find this one for just under $200, which would be more in my current price range that I'm willing to spend.

Anyone know of any other bags that might meet my requirements? Preferably under $250ish

Only limited experience with a Kelty down bag, but it has been good. I bought a Kelty Cosmic Down 20* bag for my Son to use backpacking and it has so far been fantastic. I got it for $90, it weighs 40 oz., packs down small, has a nice feel to the fabric and the shell has performed decently water resistant. In terms of physical loft, it lofts up noticeably higher than my Feathered Friends Swift 20* bag (although my FF has 900 down and the Kelty has I think 550?). My Son is a very cold sleeper too and hasn't had a cold night yet in it. Now, granted, I think the coldest night he's had in it so far has only been about 32*, but, for him to have no complaints of cold on a 32* night is worth noting.

My impressions of this Kelty down bag are that it is a quality product and a tremendous bang for the buck.

- DAA

It will be just for car camping.

Unfortunately I've never been able to find a Big Agnes bag that doesn't have the integrated sleeping pad sleeve, which I don't want.

As far as synthetic goes...I'd really prefer down.

what's the hang up on the sleeve? not like you have to use it... synthetic is just cheaper, if it's car camping it's a much better deal. but they have down too.

there are very few bag makers who will make rectangular bags, big ag probably has the biggest selection.

My biggest issue with the sleeve is that there is no insulation if you don't use the sleeping pad on that side. I am usually a side sleeper and end up switching sides a few times throughout the night...and sometimes I sleep on my back, too. When I turn, I like the bag to move with my body, which would leave my back un-insulated while on my side.

I am planning on doing a few snowshoe trips to huts this winter....though I probably won't need a 0 degree bag for those, there is a chance I might use whatever bag I get on those backpacking trips...

I'm a cold sleeper and have taken my Kelty Cosmic Down 20 to right around 0 a few times. What I did was wear my Cabelas down pants, my down Colombia jacket, and my Sierra Designs down booties and a beenie of course. I was also on my Exped Downmat. Good insulation from the bottom is a must when it's really cold. I opted for this because like you I only camp in really cold weather once or twice a year and I get double use out of my down jacket and down pants. Just a thought.

interesting. i'm a side sleeper too, but i use a quilt down to about 20 degrees. so there's no insulation on the bottom anyways, the pad is the insulation, and the quilt doesn't spin with you, you spin inside it. biggest problem with being a side sleeper is the hood on the bag, if you roll to the side, and the bag doesn't turn, the hood is messed up. i'd rather just wear a balaclava or a buff and beanie on my head anyways, and seal around my neck with the bag. of course, getting down to 0 degrees makes it a little harder as you have to make sure the quilt seals around the body so you don't get cold spots, and you have to figure out how to keep the head warm, but there are easy solutions for that stuff.

have you tried sleeping in a bag with the sleeve? you might find that when you turn, you prefer the bag doesn't spin with you. (of course, requires you to figure out a solution for the hood.) also, when the bag turns with you, all the down that was compressed under your body has to re-loft, and often times leads to cold spots, and fatigued down. don't have that problem when you spin inside the bag.

unfortunately, big ag bags are too heavy for pretty much every backcountry application i would use them for. but for a zero degree bag (like freezefest trips, with car camping) i just use a fat rectangular, no hood bag because they are way more comfortable, and then i wear a balaclava for my head.

from my experience, good quality semi-rectangular mummies are pretty tough to find.

from my experience, good quality semi-rectangular mummies are pretty tough to find.

My WM Sycamore MF is awesome, and I'm sure I would like the Sequoia or Bristlecone just as much! ...I just don't want to spend as much $$ on a bag I probably won't use too often.

hahaha, yes. WM and "under $250" are mutually exclusive.

I have a Feathered Friends 10 degree Puffin semi-rectangular. I am a side sleeper also and need a lot of room. I had them add some down near my feet. It wasn't cheap (over $400) but it is well made and weighs in at 3lbs. I have used it at 0 degrees, and was toasty.

Have you thought about getting a sleeping bag liner instead? Since weight wouldn't be an issue if you're car camping, you can save some money by going that route. This liner is supposed to add up to 25 degrees of warmth:

http://www.rei.com/product/797114/sea-to-summit-thermolite-reactor-extreme-mummy-bag-liner

As Deadeye008 mentioned an insulated sleeping pad will go along way. In my opinion the layers you wear to bed are just as crucial as how warm your sleeping bag is. A warm hat and gloves are a must. When you get good and layered up in the cold, you can sleep quite comfortably, and the bonus is that you don't freeze your ass off when you step outside the tent.:)

I picked up a North Face Goliath 0° synthetic on a screaming deal from Sierra Trading Post years ago and it has been my go-to winter car camping bag. Super roomy and very warm. I recently picked up a Marmot Snowcrest 5° from STP as well, not as roomy as the Goliath but it should do the trick if space or weight is ever an issue since it's down.

I've decided to give that Coromell a try...it should be here next week :) It's the only bag I could find in the price range I was looking to spend that meets all of my requirements.

It arrived today, so I'll throw it in the Jeep and see if I can give it a try this weekend, but it still might be too warm out for it...