Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10

Gosh, Now a most excellent trip report! Absolutely Loved it! Thanks for posting Hugh and with all the photos. It seems when you put parts one and two together, you had a most excellent trip and saw a bunch of this country in one hike. Love this country and so do miss it! Now our human society might change and be a mess, but this wilderness country remains the same with being wild and a such a paradise in this modern world just like it has always been.

Again Thanks Hugh and Wishing You the Very Best!

Enjoyed reading your report (parts 1 & 2)! I am happy you were able to get back there again. But it ain't over til it's over! Don't call this your last time!

A question for my own planning... I have never been up Thorofare Creek--how much traffic was there between Bridger Lake and Pass Creek? I have heard it can be quite a, well, thoroughfare for horse parties.

Enjoyed reading your report (parts 1 & 2)! I am happy you were able to get back there again. But it ain't over til it's over! Don't call this your last time!

A question for my own planning... I have never been up Thorofare Creek--how much traffic was there between Bridger Lake and Pass Creek? I have heard it can be quite a, well, thoroughfare for horse parties.

We only saw a mule in the distance, to the south of us, at what I assumed was an outfitter's camp, and the 2 person 4 horses party, where I scared the last horse.

Mule in the distance.
04.jpg

Epic trip with great companions, it doesn't get much better. What's this about "last time"? Why, you're still a youngster!

I'm just hanging things up for the longer trips. I still plan on doing shorter ones. My left knee is still really sore a month after completing this trip. I think it has moved beyond wearing the brace. I may have to get it checked out in the near future.

Scatman, So your knee now is bothering you this much. Gosh! The best to you! My right ankle bothers me at times, but still hike and bike. Think it is from stepping wrong some years ago when hiking. Things happen as we get older sad to say. Sad to hear of this bigtime as concerning your left knee. You still seem so young. Personally my knees and the rest of myself are still doing great. Have to watch my hiking because of the ankle. But biking does not bother the ankle one bit. Have come to say ... use it or lose it.

Wishing you Hugh and your knee the very very best!

Scatman, So your knee now is bothering you this much. Gosh! The best to you! My right ankle bothers me at times, but still hike and bike. Think it is from stepping wrong some years ago when hiking. Things happen as we get older sad to say. Sad to hear of this bigtime as concerning your left knee. You still seem so young. Personally my knees and the rest of myself are still doing great. Have to watch my hiking because of the ankle. But biking does not bother the ankle one bit. Have come to say ... use it or lose it.

Wishing you Hugh and your knee the very very best!

Unfortunately, my knee is sore after riding a stationary bike. :( I'll let it rest a couple more weeks and see how it feels. It there is no improvement, I'll schedule and appointment to have it looked at.

Yes biking does not bother my ankle onebit. This is one reason that have been living on my bike as of late. But think might very well pull off some future backcountry trips with taking it slow, smaller backpack, and utilizing the old hunter-gatherer skills in the hiking. Still soooo much to see and experience. Am personally now 66. Now do know that in my hiking and when young, how much did I abuse this body it seems. And then we pay for it in our older ages.

Again Best to You as regards to your knee. Know how it is as one gets older. If you get it checked out, hope they can help you out bigtime. Again still so much to see and

Great report, as always. Fantastically documented via your beautiful photos. Glad the emergency only lasted a day.

But, there's no report of a shake/malt at the end? ;)

Great report, as always. Fantastically documented via your beautiful photos. Glad the emergency only lasted a day.

But, there's no report of a shake/malt at the end? ;)

I headed home through West Yellowstone instead of heading south through Jackson, so no stop in at Moos. :(

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Christo Water availability:Thorofare Yellowstone Trip Planning 6
TeamJenkins17 Yellowstone Thorofare to Brooks lake trip next year. Trip Planning 6
V Yellowstone - Thorofare - Solo? Trip Planning 15
Keith Yellowstone Thorofare (8/11/14 to 8/17/14) Backpacking 7
Joey Invite Yellowstone's Thorofare and Gallatin/Sky Rim area Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Bob Yellowstone in Springtime 2024 General Discussion 3
M Yellowstone Mirror Plateau Trip Plan/Advice Trip Planning 6
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 4
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 11
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7