Yellowstone Science

Jackson,

I have never seen a Grizzly in the Gros Ventres but heard there was one on Frenchman Creek a few years ago. Grizzlies now range through the Gros Ventres and one went well south on the Western Front of the Winds before it was shot a few years ago.

As for access your car should be fine to get up Granite Creek and well back the Gros Ventre. If hard rain comes just be prepared to wait for a little drying, but I've seen Hondas and Subies get through some good mud. I wouldn't try Leeds Creek or anything like that.

I know a few moth sites in the southern Absaroka where I've seen multiple bears multiple times in September. I also see a fair amount of wolves in the area, even on my dayhikes which have all but replaced my backpacking days. I do however REALLY want to get back to Marston Pass and think two days off work with a weekend in late July or August should do it. Can you see Grizz in this pic?

I can see grizzlies in the Uintas in the coming years.

Thanks for the info! I love that the range is expanding so much.

I figured my car could probably make it to Granite Creek, but I wasn't so sure about approaching from the east. The road that follows Kinky Creek and ends up at the Gros Ventre looks like it's pretty well traveled, but I didn't know whether or not a little Civic could make it. Awesome.

Cool pictures. I see the bears right in the center. What an incredible experience. Someday I'll get out to the Absarokas.

And I'd like to see grizzlies in the Uintas. It really seems like prime habitat for them. However, I'm sure a lot of people don't want to see them there.

@Jackson - Ditto on Absarokanaut's assessment of the the road up Granite Creek. I saw a variety of cars using it on our way out from our trip. The hot springs at the end of the road seem to be a pretty popular place to spend some time.

One of our hiking partners said that he saw a grizzly near the pass between Flat Creek drainage and Turquoise Lake. He said it took off down the ridge when it became aware of him. We were all spread out at the time so no one could verify his sighting but he seemed pretty thrilled at seeing one. We did all see a black bear along the hillside above Bear Cabin Creek on our way to The Six Lakes.

Thanks for the info, @scatman. I've been looking at maps of the Gros Ventre a lot recently. Excited to check it out. And maybe see a bear or two. I may have some questions about parts that you covered last year.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/shorts-part-one.htm

Not sure I put a lot of credibility into those maps. My wife and I have personally observed grizzlies at the north end of the Tobacco Roots as far back as 2012 and several friends have also observed them in that vicinity. They are also apparently in the Bangtail's on the east side of the Bridger Range north of Bozeman and Livingston. I have to believe their actual range is a good deal larger than shown.

It does seem like the maps are always very conservative.. I'm just glad they updated them at all. My grandparents have a place out in front of the Madison Range (on the West side of it), and there are grizzlies there of course, so it definitely makes sense that they now range up to the Tobacco Roots. Didn't know they were up in the Bangtails though. Do you think they've made it as far as the Crazy Mountains?

Was last night "beer night"? @Joey was all worked up.

Sorry late to comment Chuck, but after drinking some home brew and shooting the shit with @Joey, on Friday night he got into my stash of apple wine and I sent him on his merry way with a bottle or two, so I'm sure he was nice and lubed for the forums.

I know he gets frustrated because he really enjoys the outdoors and wants other people share, engage in meaningful discussion, and enjoy them as well. Unfortunately in the modern age of the internet, people seem more content with throwing stones, or watching a PBS special on something then declaring themselves an expert on the subject matter, or get in to pissing contests about trivial things, rather than joining in or adding to the conversation.

But lets be honest the comment did stop short of calling Scatman a liar, he just really strongly inferring it...

And yes, those bear tracks were already there. I have two sticks with grizzly bear paw prints imprinted on a block of wood at the end of each of them. One with the front paw, the other the back. I keep them under my kilt at all times until the deed needs to be done. When, in a flash, I pull them out and place twenty four foot pounds on each to imprint the tracks. I can do this for miles without anyone suspecting me, not even by backpacking partners. I can place them in all kinds of terrain including solid rock. Occasionally, I will return home with grizzly tracks on my calves, thighs and hamstrings (I still need to work out the kilt logistics).

I knew it! @scatman you remember when we hiked from Wapiti Lake up Shallow Creek to the hot basins group? You were in the back, and on the way back to Wapiti Lake there just happened to be bear tracks crossing our own tracks!

14986172608_54a4394630_z.jpg

Yea I was pretty doubtful of that, I mean what are the chances of running into a bear in the back county of Yellowstone? Where did you hide those bear paw sticks? Personally I wouldn't believe a bear encounter with Scatman unless he was dragged from his tent, mauled and cached. Even then I would probably claim that he did it to himself to get attention...

Well @McGimpkins, you have joined @Chuck the Mauler in the ability to ruin an otherwise perfect day! :) Since I have retired the Gerber Grouter (a wonderful shovel though extremely heavy), I can no longer attempt to cache myself. My new shovel of choice (trowel actually) is The Deuce of Spades which I believe someone on this site turned me on to (thanks by the way) and I must say that I highly recommend it. Da Deuce of Spades . After I received it, I used it on my Mill Creek Ridge Hike, my hike to Hell's Kitchen in the Uintas and also on my Gros Ventre Trip. It held up to all kinds of Scatman activities but I don't think it is strong enough for a cache. I know, you are all thinking that digging a cache is all about arm and shoulder strength but I'm telling you if you don't have the appropriate tool you can't get it done.

I knew it! @scatman you remember when we hiked from Wapiti Lake up Shallow Creek to the hot basins group? You were in the back, and on the way back to Wapiti Lake there just happened to be bear tracks crossing our own tracks!

That couldn't have been me; I only have grizzly prints and those look black bearish to me. :)

Last edited:
I too am an owner and user of the deuce of spades. Just wish I had purchased the largest one of the 3.
By the way, the Fins still suck and N.E. will be a force to be reckoned with in the AFC East for the next several years. DEAL with it @Vegan.Hiker and @scatman

Sincerely,
Lions fan. Rebuilding since 1958

Last edited:
My new shovel of choice (trowel actually) is The Deuce of Spades which I believe someone one this site turned me on to (thanks by the way) and I must say that I highly recommend it. Da Deuce of Spades . After I received it, I used it on my Mill Creek Ridge Hike, my hike to Hell's Kitchen in the Uintas and also on my Gros Ventre Trip. It held up to all kinds of Scatman activities but I don't think it is strong enough for a cache. I know, you are all thinking that digging a cache is all about arm and shoulder strength but I'm telling you if you don't have the appropriate tool you can't get it done.

Whoever wrote the description for that is hilarious. Now I want one.