What's on your feet?

Bo at Desert Rat sold me a pair of Salewa. I love them. Vibram bottom comfortable light and sticky on slick rock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've always used a trail runner for dry hikes and I've always loved the way Adidas shoes fit my feet. I understand "to each his own" and with the understanding that everyone's foot is different, this "name brand" has been my go-to shoe for casual, sport, etc.

For simple hikes I typically just have a pair of lightweight Adidas trail runners I've picked up somewhere on sale.

For a bit more advanced trips that might include better stability I have the Adidas Terrex Fast R. Very good ankle (tight) support which makes for great stability. They are a tad heavy, but not over the top, but plenty of toe support and they have that quick zip system for getting in and out of faster (no more lacing up). They also have a very grippy sole, which is the final selling point.

Which leads me into my next shoe, the Adidas Hydro Pro, which I use for Canyoneering. I was able to grab a pair last summer at the Desert Rat (they had just happened to get a shipment in) and have only used them for one canyon, but what a difference they make. They are currently not being made anymore due to Adidas purchasing 5.10 (with the intent that 5.10 will continue with the canyoneering shoe) so if I can save up the money I may buy another pair just for future use. They feature the exact same sole/design as the Adidas Terrex Fast R shoe that I wear for regular hiking.

I am looking to replace my Merrell Moab's which have been great shoes. I use them mainly for every day wear. I tried on a pair of Oboz Sawtooth (low-cut) and a pair of Keen Voyageur (low-cut) at REI the other day. Both felt great on my feet and are very comfortable right out of the box. I also tried on a pair of Keen Targhee II. They were equally comfortable but I found them to be much hotter due to the waterproofing.

Any thoughts on these shoes? I do not have any experience with Oboz but have read good reviews on them. I have a pair of Keen Newport that I wear almost exclusively during the hot summer months here in the deep south. They have been on two trips with me to the Amazon jungle and worked great there.

Thanks for any help.

I am looking to replace my Merrell Moab's which have been great shoes. I use them mainly for every day wear. I tried on a pair of Oboz Sawtooth (low-cut) and a pair of Keen Voyageur (low-cut) at REI the other day. Both felt great on my feet and are very comfortable right out of the box. I also tried on a pair of Keen Targhee II. They were equally comfortable but I found them to be much hotter due to the waterproofing.

Any thoughts on these shoes? I do not have any experience with Oboz but have read good reviews on them. I have a pair of Keen Newport that I wear almost exclusively during the hot summer months here in the deep south. They have been on two trips with me to the Amazon jungle and worked great there.

Thanks for any help.

We must have similar feet.:) I'm a Merrell Moab fan, but the Oboz Sawtooth and Keen Voyageur were my runners up when I bought last year's pair of hiking shoes. Since I didn't buy them I can't comment on them, except that the Oboz in particular get mostly positive reviews from what I've read.

I should have a new pair of Merrell All Out Blaze shoes arriving today. I hope I like them as much as the Moab's.:)

I just picked up a pair of Vasque Breeze 2.0's this week that I hope will work out for me. I had a pair of the original Breeze a few years back and liked them, but wore out the toe quickly since there was no rubber protection over the front...which apparently I need! So far they are very comfortable...but we'll see how long they last :)

Thanks for any help.
If you get Keens go with the breathable not the waterproof ones. The waterproof Keens breathe very little and ended up rotting my feet in the desert (the Keen Targhee)

I ended up buying the Oboz Sawtooth. Comfortable & like them so far. Wearing them over time will be the true test. Thanks for your inputs.

I went in and tried a bunch of things on at REI today. Dividend burning a hole, and my last pair of Merrel Moab's were worn out bad. I tried a bunch of things on, and went back to the Moab's. Good balance of lightweight, with enough to still be comfortable on boulders, and lots of granite. I need something that is a good middle ground between desert/lightweight, and summer-time mountain rock kicking. Moab's work for me.

I've had durability issues with Keens, you made a good choice Terry.

I just picked up a pair of Vasque Breeze 2.0's this week that I hope will work out for me.

I've had a pair of these for about a year now. Really liked them at first, but something has gone wrong with them. I honestly don't know if it is my feet changing shape, or the boots wearing funky, or what. But where they used to be comfortable, they now give me pretty big time pain across the toe box in not very many miles. I wore them on two long backpacking trips and a few longish day hike trips before they started causing me pain. They still look like new. But I only wear them to drive my Jeep and take very short walks now...

I actually don't have any boots I really love at present. My Patagucci's are what I'm going to wear for Salt Creek. They are comfy. But not waterproof and let in tons of sand through the mesh sides, which ends up causing heat and chafing issues. They are great in the Uintas. Canyons, they kind of suck. But I still prefer them to my Breeze 2.0's for any conditions that aren't just wet all the time.

- DAA

The Merrell All Out Blaze shoes weren't to my liking. They felt good until I started walking for a little bit. The muscles in my feet felt really sore! I didn't realize when I bought them that they were a minimal style shoe. I guess I need more arch support than minimal footwear offers. So I returned them and went to REI on Sunday to try on shoes again. I decided to go outside my Merrell Moab comfort zone, and pick up two pairs this time. A waterproof mid length shoe for my mountain adventures and a low non-waterproof shoe for desert adventures. The ones I settled on were the Keen Targhee (mountain shoes) and the Patagonia Drifter A/C (desert shoes). Hopefully these will treat me well!

Reactions: DAA
I actually wear the Patagucci Drifter A/C low tops as my daily foot wear. Have them on right now!

Since I wear them to work, and want to make them last, I don't wear them for real outdoors stuff. But for a long time now, I've wished I had a second pair for beater/outdoor use - cause I really like these shoes!

- DAAA

I actually wear the Patagucci Drifter A/C low tops as my daily foot wear. Have them on right now!

Since I wear them to work, and want to make them last, I don't wear them for real outdoors stuff. But for a long time now, I've wished I had a second pair for beater/outdoor use - cause I really like these shoes!

- DAAA

Cool, I'm glad to hear a glowing endorsement for them. They were super comfortable when I tried them on. I'll be giving them a more vigorous test this weekend.:)

I just picked up a pair of Vasque Breeze 2.0's this week that I hope will work out for me. I had a pair of the original Breeze a few years back and liked them, but wore out the toe quickly since there was no rubber protection over the front...which apparently I need! So far they are very comfortable...but we'll see how long they last :)

I have the women's version of them, but somehow I do not like them so much. I really miss the stealth rubber sole all my Five Tens have. These shoes are not trustworthy when it comes to wet surfaces and slick and slippery rocks. I feel really uncomfortable in them.
Without the issue of the sticky sole they would be my perfect mountain boot.

I have the women's version of them, but somehow I do not like them so much. I really miss the stealth rubber sole all my Five Tens have. These shoes are not trustworthy when it comes to wet surfaces and slick and slippery rocks. I feel really uncomfortable in them.
Without the issue of the sticky sole they would be my perfect mountain boot.

So far I'm liking the Breeze 2.0's

Unfortunately Five Ten doesn't make my size, so I'll never get to try those...

So far I'm liking the Breeze 2.0's

Unfortunately Five Ten doesn't make my size, so I'll never get to try those...

you need to shrink a bit ;)

Too bad they don't them in your size. I'm completely spoiled since I hike in them. Tried the Five Ten trail runners the first time this year and like those even better than the Camp Four. Less stiff and great grip , much lighter and therefore perfect for the desert where almost everything is too warm during the summer.

I actually don't have any boots I really love at present. My Patagucci's are what I'm going to wear for Salt Creek. They are comfy. But not waterproof and let in tons of sand through the mesh sides, which ends up causing heat and chafing issues.

have you tried them with light gaiters?
I had the sand issue with my old Five Tens due to the mesh. The gaiters helped a lot, I was even comfortable to hike in deep sand with that combination.

have you tried them with light gaiters?

Yes on the gaiters. Actually don't think I have hiked in them without gaiters. There is still a lot of exposed mesh and sand gets in everywhere through it.

I decided to wear my goretex Breeze 2.0's in the desert instead, just for that reason. But, like I say, something has gone wrong between those boots and my feet. They used to be so happy together, but now they aren't. And the boots do still look new, too. I've experimented with different lacing tightness and socks and some of that does help, but I still get squished together toes in them now.

- DAA

What's the best option for long distance hiking footwear. I'm planning a backpacking trip soon and I need some legit footwear for my trip, being below 100 dollars. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the best option for long distance hiking footwear. I'm planning a backpacking trip soon and I need some legit footwear for my trip, being below 100 dollars. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey @Flaminghog2099. We have a sweet thread going right now called 'What's on your feet'. I'm going to merge your post with that so you can benefit from all the conversation going on there.