What's on your feet?

lostlandscapes

rope mule
Let this be a thread dedicated to all-things-footwear. I'm in the market for a new pair of trail shoes for the upcoming backpacking season and am kind of at a loss. I used to swear by New Balance but recently my arches have begun flaring up...and the NB's appear to be to blame. Bummer, since they are manufactured here in the States and can be found on the cheap. Time to look for something else...and so I turn to BCP.

So what's gonna be on your feet this summer? Any brands and/or models that you can personally vouch for? Anyone out there trying something new this year? I'm pretty loyal to trail runners but am open to something a bit taller as long as they are lightweight. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

So what are you wearing, BCP?

My second pair of 5.10 CampFour's arrived yesterday. Loved my first pair and I'm stoked for the second.
As far as trail runners go I've had and really liked a few pairs on Montrails. I've had nothing but bad experiences with both pairs of Vasques that I've owned. They always end up being extremely flimsy after a few months.

Since January I use the 5.10 Savant shoe, I guess it's the women's version of the Camp Four and I absolutely love them. I never felt so comfortable with any of my older hiking shoes and after my old Merell Moabs basically fall apart I switched to the 5.10 hiking shoes. So far I've used the 5.10 for many miles and never regretted it. Finally I have a hiking shoe I can really do all the scrambling without feeling uncomfortable.
If I need a warmer boot or more ankle protection, I still use my Oboz Wind River Boots. It is definitely too warm for all the desert hikes but is a great companion on winter/mountain hikes.

I have tried lots of brands but always seem to come back to Vasque. Although I did just get a pair of Keen's from STP that I really like a lot! I haven't did any serious hiking in them, but I've worn them around town and to work a lot and I may be converting.

I'm also looking for a new brand of shoes to try out. I love the comfort Merrell's have always provided but unfortunately they don't last long for me anymore. If I'm lucky 4 months. I've tried on Vasque and various other brands at rei and such but I don't even like the feel of them. I'm going to order a pair a 5.10's because from what I've read an seen they will be lightweight like my merrell's but far more durable. Plus they look as if they'll work on all types of terrain.

oh and when i'm not hiking sanuk tends to be found on my feet.

My experience:

5.10 Savant: Purchased these after talking with Ransom. They have the same sole as the Canyoneer so they are very sticky on sandstone. They didn't last long. I wore holes in the mesh on the side and the sole cracked completely though. Kind of disappointing since there is still quite a bit of tread left on them. They also don't have much cushion and started to give me foot problems. And they're heavy (note my model is several years old, so they may have changed things).

La Sportiva Xplorer: These are pretty decent for sandstone hiking. Sticky sole and they've held up well. They are a little narrow, but not too bad. Wore them on a 43 mile day hike in the Sawtooths last year and didn't have any foot problems. Also wore them for a week backpacking in Aztec Creek and many other trips last summer.

La Sportiva Raptor: These are my current favorite. Very light, stiff, and extremely comfortable. I've been wearing them everywhere - a couple weeks backpacking in Patagonia, canyoneering in Death Valley, and lots of others. Sierra Trading Post had them at a great price especially after the 35% coupon (a bit less than $50). They now have a newer version - the Ultra Raptor. I don't have personal experience with that one, but have heard good things.

I own several different hiking shoes. My favorites are the five ten camp four.

In fact I'm so concerned about Adidas buying 5 10 that I'm considering buying a couple more pairs before they screw up the sticky rubber recipe.

Buy 5 10's you will live them.

Wade

Ps they run small at least one size.

I wear a size 15, so finding shoes has always been a challenge for me. My favorite hiking shoes were the Vasque Scree, but Vasque stopped making them in my size. These would usually last me close to a year, which is much longer than other brands do. Vasque just came out with the Breeze 2.0 which they do make in my size- I am considering trying them...

Most other hiking shoes only last me 3-4 months. I've grown tired of trying to find a great shoe (in my size) that will last me for a while, so lately I have just been buying whatever Keen hiking boots are in my size from STP with their discount coupon codes and wearing those. I find Keen shoes comfortable (and they seem to make at least a few different styles available in 15) but they only seem to last me 3-4 months....so they are kind of an inexpensive disposable shoe to me at this point...

I should mention I really like both pairs of Vasque boots that I've owned just not their hiking shoes and trail runners. I've had 3 pairs or runners and they've all lost 99% of their support within a few months had have become flip flops with laces.

Since January I use the 5.10 Savant shoe, I guess it's the women's version of the Camp Four and I absolutely love them.

Actually they make a women's campfour. :)
The best part about the campfour is the heal cage that adds a tremendous almost of support.

five_ten_camp_four.jpg

What a timely thread! I'm also in the market for new shoes. Two pair really. I need a sticky soled shoe for sandstone and canyons and a waterproof backpacking boot. For the backpacking boot I think I may buy some waterproof Keens because I like the way Keens fit, but I don't have a particular model nailed down yet. I was actually looking at the 5.10 Savants yesterday fro my desert shoes because they're on sale and it sounds like they have all the features I'd want, BUT they had quite a few negative reviews because they fall apart quickly. Anyone else have any more feedback on how they hold up? I'm curious how the Camp Fours do in canyons. Maybe Bill can shed some light on this?

I also use the Camp Fours for canyons. I've really enjoyed them and I've especially enjoyed not feeling the need to always wear my canyoneers. As Bill mentioned, the Camp Four comes in it's own women's version. The Savant is an earlier model that is actually discontinued now. The only bummer on the Camp Fours is that they aren't built as strong as the Canyoneers so they do get chewed up faster. I've already worn holes in the sides of mine from rubbing against sandstone. I'll probably glue a chunk of leather over those holes to get another half season or so out of them. I highly recommend them overall.

For regular hiking and backpacking, I've really liked the Vasque Scree mids. They were as close to the perfect combination of features I've found. They're very light weight, water proof and super sticky with stealth rubber soles similar to those found on the 5.10 shoes. Only problem is they're expensive. I have a really hard time bringing myself to spend $150 on a pair of boots, so I've just watched out for them to go on sale and when they do, I pickup multiple pairs. I think I've picked up 5 pairs of them now from Sierra Trading Post for around $55-$60 each after coupons.

This winter I picked up two more pairs of the screes but I went with the lows as that was all they had. I've been wearing them around and they're pretty comfortable, but I'm not convinced I will love them for putting down real mileage. My heal just doesn't stay put how I would prefer. We'll see though...

I should mention I really like both pairs of Vasque boots that I've owned just not their hiking shoes and trail runners. I've had 3 pairs or runners and they've all lost 99% of their support within a few months had have become flip flops with laces.

Actually they make a women's campfour. :)
The best part about the campfour is the heal cage that adds a tremendous almost of support.

I need to check them out. Compared to the Savant, how heavy are the Camp Four shoes?

I also use the Camp Fours for canyons. I've really enjoyed them and I've especially enjoyed not feeling the need to always wear my canyoneers. As Bill mentioned, the Camp Four comes in it's own women's version. The Savant is an earlier model that is actually discontinued now. The only bummer on the Camp Fours is that they aren't built as strong as the Canyoneers so they do get chewed up faster. I've already worn holes in the sides of mine from rubbing against sandstone. I'll probably glue a chunk of leather over those holes to get another half season or so out of them. I highly recommend them overall.

How long had you been using your Camp Fours before they got holes in them? I don't want to drop $150 for a pair and have them wear out quickly, which was my concern about the Savants. I've thought about just getting the Canyoneers instead, except that it sounds like the Camp Fours are much more comfortable for general hiking. Would you say that's the case?

How long had you been using your Camp Fours before they got holes in them? I don't want to drop $150 for a pair and have them wear out quickly, which was my concern about the Savants. I've thought about just getting the Canyoneers instead, except that it sounds like the Camp Fours are much more comfortable for general hiking. Would you say that's the case?

My 11 month old pair of campfours have done pretty well, no holes and the stitching is all intact. I think the stealth rubber wears quickly due to its softness so I think I will limit my use on my new pair to trail/slick rock only. The one problem I did have (others have reported this as well) is that the sole will start to peel away around the toe. I called 5.10 when this first happened and they offered to replace them but I never got around to sending them in. I went with a super glue fix and that shoe is still fine. The other shoe has been starting doing the same thing so I need to glue it.

The C4's are MUCH more comfortable than the Canyoneers.

My 11 month old pair of campfours have done pretty well, no holes and the stitching is all intact. I think the stealth rubber wears quickly due to its softness so I think I will limit my use on my new pair to trail/slick rock only. The one problem I did have (others have reported this as well) is that the sole will start to peel away around the toe. I called 5.10 when this first happened and they offered to replace them but I never got around to sending them in. I went with a super glue fix and that shoe is still fine. The other shoe has been starting doing the same thing so I need to glue it.

The C4's are MUCH more comfortable than the Canyoneers.

Thanks for the response Bill! I'm going to bite on a pair of the Camp Fours, and I'll just plan to limit their use to slickrock and canyons. I found them slightly cheaper at Amazon, and thanks to Prime's $3.99 overnight shipping I'll have them in time for this weekend.:D

My Camp Fours haven't held up nearly as well as Bill's, but I've probably been a little rougher on them. I've taken them through many canyons, including ones that an amphibious shoe like a canyoneer would have been much more appropriate. The holes in the sides mostly came from walking through skinny slots where it was so narrow at the bottom that it just pinched my foot on the sides rather than being able to just put rubber to rock. Despite all of this, I am still very satisfied with them.

My Camp Fours haven't held up nearly as well as Bill's, but I've probably been a little rougher on them. I've taken them through many canyons, including ones that an amphibious shoe like a canyoneer would have been much more appropriate. The holes in the sides mostly came from walking through skinny slots where it was so narrow at the bottom that it just pinched my foot on the sides rather than being able to just put rubber to rock. Despite all of this, I am still very satisfied with them.

Good to know. Thanks Nick! I hope the Camp Fours will treat me well. I haven't had a shoe yet where I've been terribly satisfied with the grip on steep slickrock, so hopefully these will solve that problem for me.

I have a ton of shoes for the trails, You'll see I'm about being as minimal as possible..

Canyoneering I have la sportiva xplorers. They're super super sticky. That's about all the good I can say about them. The sole or whole shoe hasn't been terribly durable.

Winter:
merrell isotherms. comfy and warm. That's all I need from them.
For hiking/backpacking and everything else that I currently own:
Teva Zilch Sandals. Love them. I've gone through two pair. They've been sticky enough for me to scramble up canyon walls while backpacking and feel pretty secure. Believe it or not but over the past two years these have been my "go tos" for (warm weather) backpacking
Various five fingers. Favorites were the treksports but they weren't very durable. I have the new trail ones but they aren't comfy so I hardly wear them. Not sticky but provide a very good ground feel to make up for that.
Merrell trail gloves - These are my "waterproof" hikers. They have a GTX liner. They've been great but they are on their last leg of life.
vivobarefoot breatho trail - absolutely the most comfy trail shoes I have. And they breathe well. The lugs are huge though and they're not terribly durable (some have ripped off) or grippy on anything but mud or soft stuff.

I plan on picking up a pair of NB mt00's soon as they seem to offer what I'm after in my next shoe and either another xlorer or 5.10 canyoneers.

...But I know that my footwear choices looks...unusual..to most people. As far as regular stuff Vasque, merrell, and Salewa have all served me very well