What's on your feet?

I had a pair of Five Ten AEscents. I really like the fit and construction, but the sole was extremely stiff (they are, after all, an approach shoe). They felt almost like clipless pedal bike shoes, or REALLY stiff climbing shoes. I don't think I'd want to hike very far in them. Also, the sole left black marks everywhere I went. If they had a more flexible non-marking sole, they'd be my #1 shoe.

My favorite hiking shoes have been my Teva Riva eVent shoes. Pretty light, not quite as sticky as I'd like, but they fit awesome. I've never had pressure or issues. They're plenty wide, but they're waterproof. I use the low-tops for snowshoeing and I've never had wet feet aside from perspiration.

That being said, I wanted the same shoe but non-waterproof for summer. I bought some Teve Rivas, and I really like them as well, but they don't breathe quite as well as I'd like, and they take FOREVER to dry when they get wet.

I also have a pair of Saucony Xodus 4.0s. These are my favorite tread pattern I've had. They aren't sticky rubber, but they grip like they are. They're a tiny bit narrow, and the arch is a tiny big high for me (which is weird because I normally love high arches). They breathe quite well, and they dry out a lot faster than my leather shoes, and I think they're going to serve me well. They have built-in loops on the laces to clip your gaiters to. I'll probably buy a pair 1/2 size bigger for big hikes, so my feet can swell.

Last edited:
Those of you that have camp fours, do you find that they dry out quickly, or do they soak in the water and take forever to dry?

I'm also looking for a new brand of shoes to try out. I love the comfort Merrell's have always provided but unfortunately they don't last long for me anymore.

I've seen a lot of Merrell boots/shoes blow out the side. They are very comfortable though. I have 2 pairs of the Moab and plan to see my toes shoot out the side any day.

I've seen a lot of Merrell boots/shoes blow out the side. They are very comfortable though. I have 2 pairs of the Moab and plan to see my toes shoot out the side any day.
It seems to me that either Merrell's quality is getting worse or I'm harder on my shoes lately. Each subsequent pair of Moabs I bought (now on my third) wore out more quickly than the last. I'm now trying out some Keen Alamosa waterproof shoes (got 'em dirt cheap from STP). So far, so good, but the jury is still out on how long they'll last.

It seems to me that either Merrell's quality is getting worse or I'm harder on my shoes lately.
I've noticed the same thing... first couple of sets of Moabs would last 400 miles, last two sets barely got 200 miles.
Still incredibly comfortable though... trying their new Pulsate boot next to see if it lasts any longer.

I have a ton of shoes for the trails, You'll see I'm about being as minimal as possible..

Canyoneering I have la sportiva xplorers. They're super super sticky. That's about all the good I can say about them. The sole or whole shoe hasn't been terribly durable.

Winter:
merrell isotherms. comfy and warm. That's all I need from them.
For hiking/backpacking and everything else that I currently own:
Teva Zilch Sandals. Love them. I've gone through two pair. They've been sticky enough for me to scramble up canyon walls while backpacking and feel pretty secure. Believe it or not but over the past two years these have been my "go tos" for (warm weather) backpacking
Various five fingers. Favorites were the treksports but they weren't very durable. I have the new trail ones but they aren't comfy so I hardly wear them. Not sticky but provide a very good ground feel to make up for that.
Merrell trail gloves - These are my "waterproof" hikers. They have a GTX liner. They've been great but they are on their last leg of life.
vivobarefoot breatho trail - absolutely the most comfy trail shoes I have. And they breathe well. The lugs are huge though and they're not terribly durable (some have ripped off) or grippy on anything but mud or soft stuff.

I plan on picking up a pair of NB mt00's soon as they seem to offer what I'm after in my next shoe and either another xlorer or 5.10 canyoneers.

...But I know that my footwear choices looks...unusual..to most people. As far as regular stuff Vasque, merrell, and Salewa have all served me very well
i'm a zilch fan as well. my go to all around wear during the warm months. i wish that the footbed liner would stay attached better, though. i've gone through three pair in the last couple of years. but i abuse the heck out of em and always get them on close out or on sale. i have five pair at this point so i can rotate them and even out the wear between them all. may seem excessive to have so many pair, but when i find them at half price or less, i nab 'em up.this winter i have finally been wearing my vasque screes more often and have loved them. having a wide foot it is always difficult for me to find something that is comfortable. and i am a total sticky rubber addict as well.

@sixstringsteve - The Camp Fours dry out okay but they're not great to get wet a lot. Just like any leather shoe, they shrink and wear out faster that way. They're good to hike in though for the most part. I loved my first pair, but the pair I just bought caused me a little pain on my BMT hike in January. Ever since Vasque quit making my favorite boots (the old Screes), I've been struggling with blisters and that was again the case with the Camp Fours, although in their defense, I already had blisters from the previous hike when I started my most recent hike in them.

I really missed having waterproof shoes on the last hike as well. Just a little toe dip means wet socks so while I like the Camp Fours quite a bit, I'm still on the search for a new boot that is both lightweight, sticky-soled and waterproof.

I've loved all of the Keen hiking boots I've worn, but they don't last at all. The sides have blown out quickly for me. Maybe my feet are too wide, or maybe they're poorly made. I don't know.

Ever since Vasque quit making my favorite boots (the old Screes)

I'm still disappointed they stopped making them....they were my all-time favorite boot. Haven't found anything to replace them that I really like.

I've loved all of the Keen hiking boots I've worn, but they don't last at all. The sides have blown out quickly for me. Maybe my feet are too wide, or maybe they're poorly made. I don't know.

I had some issues with some Keens as well. Mine didn't have the greatest traction either.

I'm still on the search for a new boot that is both lightweight, sticky-soled and waterproof.

I'm looking for the same thing, only not waterproof. My feet get hot in waterproof shoes in the summer. I've been really happy with my Teva Riva eVent waterproof shoes. They fit my feet really well, and I've never had so much as a hot spot in them.

Well if waterproof is not a concern, I highly recommend the Camp Fours. You won't find a stickier shoe that is also quite nice to walk in.

I really like my New Balance barefoot runners and have gone through 1 pair that lasted for 1.5 years and I still wear from time to time, and another that lasted 1.5 hikes and got a bunch of holes (same shoes, different upper material). I have bad knees and the flexibility of the soles of barefoots really help my balance and make me feel safer from injury.

Since I switched completely to 5.10 as my primary hiking shoe I'm completely spoiled. The sole is so much better than any boot or shoe I ever owned. I have the Camp Fours and also an old pair of the Savant which is much lighter, primarily made of mesh and dries super fast.
Too bad they discontinued the production of this one.
The downside of the Five Tens is the wear out pretty fast. Or I hiked too many miles...

I'm still disappointed they stopped making them....they were my all-time favorite boot. Haven't found anything to replace them that I really like.
randy, i may have a pair of screes for you. just recently grabbed a pair from the boulder free box that i believe are size fifteen and barely worn. grabbed them with the intention of finding someone who could use them as i am only a size 10. when i get home from work i will check the size. they are either 13 or 15 if i remember correctly.

I didn't put many miles on my Camp Fours. Maybe they needed more break in time, but every time I wore them they hurt my feet enough that I didn't want to put them back on. I've worn Merrell Moab's for the last two years as my primary hiking shoe and they've been pretty good to me. They definitely lose traction after a while, though, so I bought a new pair each year. Last year I bought the Gore-Tex version, and it was great to have protection from wet feet, but they made my feet hot because they weren't breathable. I'd love to have a shoe with eVent for that reason. Maybe I'll have to try out some Tevas...

My eVent tevas breathe better than goretex, but still not as good as a non-waterproof shoe like the Merrell Moab. You can find the Tevas super cheap on Amazon. I paid $170 for my first pair, and the rest I've paid $61-72 each (I have multiple pair).

Has anyone tried the 5.10 dome? They look decent (assuming they're light).

Last edited:
randy, i may have a pair of screes for you. just recently grabbed a pair from the boulder free box that i believe are size fifteen and barely worn. grabbed them with the intention of finding someone who could use them as i am only a size 10. when i get home from work i will check the size. they are either 13 or 15 if i remember correctly.

Definitely interested if they are a 15

my wife has these patagonia trail runners and she loves them. She prefers barefoot style shoes with zero drop.