To Do in 2014

I've always felt weird about saying too much about what I will do. Call it suspicion, because that's probably what it is. Or maybe fear of failure, not meeting expectations. Something along those lines.

Nonetheless I enjoyed browsing this thread and getting ideas.

However, to contribute let me mention a couple of adventures near our summer haunt that are potentially of great reward:

Nitinat Triangle.

Nootka Island Trail.

However, to contribute let me mention a couple of adventures near our summer haunt that are potentially of great reward:

Nitinat Triangle.

Nootka Island Trail.

Neither of which I've ever heard of. Cool! :twothumbs:

I've always felt weird about saying too much about what I will do. Call it suspicion, because that's probably what it is. Or maybe fear of failure, not meeting expectations. Something along those lines.

Nonetheless I enjoyed browsing this thread and getting ideas.

Nitinat Triangle.

Nootka Island Trail.
Thanks. I am planning on a little more wet and cold than usual given how far north and the elevation. Is that accurate?

Didn't get a permit for the San Juan in the lottery....but managed to snag a permit for May this morning....it's going to be a busy month!

Jealous... I'm hoping the Muddy runs so I can get a float fix there.

I tried to write my plans down yesterday and ran out of space, which made me realize it won't all happen this year. Here are some things at the top of my mind, some are second attempts from previous failed excursions...
Happy Canyon Narrows, Red Breaks, High Spur, see what I can see down on the Res, and on the way go to sidestep canyon and the Wahweap hoodoos, Zion Subway and take a canyoneering class. Oh and maybe go hike in Oregon at the Columbia river gorge waterfalls.

I tried to write my plans down yesterday and ran out of space, which made me realize it won't all happen this year. Here are some things at the top of my mind, some are second attempts from previous failed excursions...
Happy Canyon Narrows, Red Breaks, High Spur, see what I can see down on the Res, and on the way go to sidestep canyon and the Wahweap hoodoos, Zion Subway and take a canyoneering class. Oh and maybe go hike in Oregon at the Columbia river gorge waterfalls.

I love hiking in the gorge, such a different experience than anywhere in Utah.

Oh my gosh, I must hike The Subway and take a canyoneering class! Do you guys find groups on here to go with? I don't have any friends who are up to doing this stuff and I'm dying to go!

I'm updating my list:

1. Star shots in Dusy Basin have been replaced by star shots just below Kearsarge Pass in the Eastern Sierra (didn't get permits for Dusy Basin).

2. Storm chasing in Utah as soon as the summer storms move in!

3. Autumn shots in Canyonlands, do first solo overnighter. Then do a second one, and a third!

4. Take a shot that makes the cover of Outdoor Photographer (okay, that's more of a life list item, not 2014, but why not try? :cool:)

I had some pretty grand plans for the year, but reality and financial crap hit the fan, so I have had to tone it down a bit. At this point I am just winging it. The only things on my for sure list are a quick Zion trip in the fall to do the Narrows and Subway. I also am planning a couple trips up Timp for the wildflowers, and in the Uintas I really want to get to do the Allsop - Priord loop, and Middle Basin.