Big Willow 2014

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Compared to the truly epic adventures on here, this is almost a micro trip, but given the punishment my legs took (see final pic), I hope it qualifies.

Spare me a moment of background.
Growing up in Sandy, UT, Lone Peak always loomed overhead. I moved away, spent time elsewhere, but came back some years ago to the next city over and Lone Peak still dominates. Not many days go by that I do not spend time looking at this mountain. Back in the 80's the granite of one of the Bells broke my sister's back. She recovered far better than first feared, but I know this mountain has severity at the core of beauty.

Before this trip I had gone a good ways up Big Willow multiple times, in fact the trip up to where the trail starts to disappear is usually the first spring hike for my oldest two kids, but I had never gone up the whole length and to the saddle to Bells Canyon.

Given the snow had melted off fully only a week or so before, and that we finally had a Saturday free. My friend and I took off one late, hot Saturday afternoon and took off up the Sawmill trail to spend the night.

Since I have talked enough, Sawmill is the trail that provides the best access and it can be described like this. Steep followed by steep, then a more level portion in Little Willow, steep, then a nice portion in the pines in Big Willow, steep, and then the trail mostly disappears in the briars, leaving you to bushwack, where it is what... oh yeah, steep again.

But it is fantastic.

So we start with a flower... at the start of the trail, pretty, but when overgrowing the trail... torture
_DSC3311.jpg

Even though it was about the longest day of the year, I was a bit concerned about daylight, so we flew up the first miles and did not stop until we hit this little stream in Big Willow to take on some water.
_DSC3346.jpg

During much of the climb you can look over your shoulder at the Salt Lake valley, but the granite ahead is more inspiring. I am not a master of the names of the pitches, but I believe the pyramid shaped spire is the Guardian.
This is about where I started to regret only bringing shorts, especially after we lost the trail for a short bit.
_DSC3363.jpg

There are a few pics I liked of this
_DSC3386.jpg

After a bit more steep we were high up, but not quite to the grassy, glacial bowls I had pictured, and it seemed there would be too much climb and not enough daylight. This panorama was near where we stopped for the night.
Down%2BBW%2BAspenglo%2B3388.jpg

Another shot taken as we lost daylight. It may not be deep wilderness, but to see the valley below and then smell the aspens, has some irony to it.
_DSC3403.jpg

Camp. Hammocks would have been worthwhile here.
_DSC3467.jpg

We ate some dehydrated dinner that was left from a previous trip, on a house-sized, flat-ish rock, and then once the cold finally set in tucked into our bags...
The next morning there were cougar tracks on top of our tracks from the night before, going down the mountain.
We continued up.
More views:
_DSC3478.jpg

Then we reached the saddle.
_DSC3512.jpg

_DSC3518.jpg

Looking down Bells towards Little Cottonwood.
_DSC3538.jpg

Up Bells.
_DSC3568.jpg

We went up a bit into the snow, until it started to give way, and then took the easy way down...
_DSC3607.jpg

Then we ate pistachios for breakfast in the bowl with these views.
_DSC3610.jpg

_DSC3624.jpg

A kinda hazy day gave way to some morning sun, and the new leaves on the aspens were incredible. So a handful of these:
_DSC3633.jpg

Top%2Bof%2BBig%2BWillow%2BAspens.jpg

_DSC3685.jpg

_DSC3704.jpg

_DSC3707.jpg

Somewhere around here we ran into a hiker and his dog, and talked a bit about the lack of trail and quiet Sunday mornings. He was the only one we saw until we were down into Little Willow.

The hike down was a pain. The scratches from the day before were starting to swell a bit and some of the new ones made me wince. My friend had convertible pants and wisely wore them, but the views were so great and the dream of Pho for lunch was so strong that soon we were slipping and sliding down the last mile or so of trail.

I am sure you want to see some of those pasty legs and battle scars:
_DSC3738.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I'm severely lacking in exploration of our beautiful Wasatch Mountains. That is some incredible granite up there.
Same here. I travel 4 hours away to go camping, when I have this stuff in my backyard.

Is that an Equinox Mantis bug net used in your camp? If so, how is it?

Because I don't want to spend so much on cuben fiber yet, I ordered an Equinox 8x10 globe trotter tarp this week to have something still less than a pound but with much greater coverage for my hammock and to give me more living space when I need to go to ground than the DIY silnylon tarp I made. I'm considering getting the Mantis for trips where I want to lighten my load and leave my hammock behind but still have bug protection.

wasatchwill

I am not sure, as that is my friend's bag, I was hidden back into the trees on the only other 6' spot without too much brush. I didn't have a net this night, but promptly bought a two person one after this trip as I had two mosquitoes buzzing into my bag for the first hour or so until it got windy and cold enough to drive them off.
Last summer the cheap 2-man mosquito net was pretty much all I used.

Descended from Lone Peak that way once, I remember the steepness, the lacking to overgrown trail, and more steep. Didn't have much chance to take in the views, was all business just keeping up the with group I was with. Thanks for sharing!

So awesome! That must have been quite the climb. How much elevation do you think you gained on this hike?
looking at the topo, it looks like it is over 5000' change from TH to the saddle. If you round up you can about call it a mile ;)

Descended from Lone Peak that way once, I remember the steepness, the lacking to overgrown trail, and more steep. Didn't have much chance to take in the views, was all business just keeping up the with group I was with. Thanks for sharing!
I haven't done it, but during the winter you miss out on the brush and it is a pretty short route to Lone peak.