Album Campsites

DSCF9041.JPG
camping done wrong at lake blanche. do not leave your fly behind to save weight even if the forecast is perfect and even if you have 30+pounds of trad gear and crap with you. it will pour for six hours straight, your emergency blanket, ground cloth and rope bag will have no chance at holding back the flood, and you will end up sleeping in a puddle perched on top of your backpack held in by your "bathtub floor" in your well-seam-sealed tent. it will, however, dry up in the morning, your gear will air out, and you'll still make it up sundial. but, you'll be pretty grumpy in the morning.

camping done wrong at lake blanche. do not leave your fly behind to save weight even if the forecast is perfect and even if you have 30+pounds of trad gear and crap with you. it will pour for six hours straight, your emergency blanket, ground cloth and rope bag will have no chance at holding back the flood, and you will end up sleeping in a puddle perched on top of your backpack held in by your "bathtub floor" in your well-seam-sealed tent. it will, however, dry up in the morning, your gear will air out, and you'll still make it up sundial. but, you'll be pretty grumpy in the morning.

Youch! But I bet you didn't forget your hanky.

View attachment 14044

D'oh! For what it's worth I also chose to forgo the fly on my trip, and regretted it. My experience wasn't nearly as bad as yours, as I didn't get rained on, but there was a pretty strong wind blowing that night and I could have used it to keep the wind out. Between that and the fact that I used my summer bag, I was chilly enough to have trouble sleeping. My take away from that was to always bring the fly.

Arches, December 2013

i-JS3vLSw-L.jpg