Annular solar eclipse in the western US on Oct. 14

utahastro

On Oct. 14, a partial solar eclipse will be visible throughout most of the Americas. But for people in a narrow path extending from Oregon to Texas to South America, the eclipse will be annular, meaning that the entire disk of the Moon will briefly be seen in silhouette against the Sun. So during those few minutes of annularity, the Sun will look like a thin ring (when viewed through a safe solar filter). Unfortunately, the Sun won't be fully blocked by the Moon, so this won't be a total eclipse.

Here in southern Utah, the path of annularity will cut across many public lands, including Capitol Reef, GSENM, Bryce Canyon, and Canyonlands, and a number of parks (both inside and outside the path of annularity) are planning public eclipse viewing events. An NPS employee told me that potentially >100,000 visitors might be in the vicinity of the small town of Richfield, UT on eclipse day, and while I think that's a significant overestimate, it seems that nearly every hotel room from Richfield to Torrey is sold out the night before the eclipse. So crowds and traffic might be an issue.

For anyone who'd like more info about the eclipse itself, the American Astronomical Society (the main organization of professional astronomers in the US) has put together an eclipse website: https://eclipse.aas.org/eclipse-america-2023

Expect to be somewhere in the path of annularity (or maybe better, well away!) while on our yearly fall desert trip. Fall break as I understand it, and a Saturday too. It's going to be a ....show!

Last edited:
for anyone who wasn't there, the 2017 eclipse led to unbelievable traffic on the 15, it took us something like 10 hours to get from Teton Valley to SLC

Great marketing .... Looks the same from anywhere in the path
I've noticed that this eclipse is widely being marketed---with some dramatic license---as a "ring of fire eclipse," which sounds catchy but overlooks the fact that it will be almost as impressive in areas within a couple hundred miles of the path of annularity. People inside the path will see 89% of the Sun blocked; outside the path in, e.g., SLC and St. George, the Sun will be ~87% blocked and will look like a thin crescent rather than a ring at mid-eclipse. As an astronomer, I think that most people would find either of these views to be fulfilling and memorable. But if there really is a massive influx of visitors to parks in the path of annularity, the hassle of dealing with crowds/traffic might outweigh the extra wow factor of seeing that ring for a few minutes.

Being hyped like the 2017 one. Then It was ridiculous in areas of the path.

for anyone who wasn't there, the 2017 eclipse led to unbelievable traffic on the 15, it took us something like 10 hours to get from Teton Valley to SLC
We saw the eclipse in Oregon, then afterwards headed towards the Sawtooths in Idaho. The traffic we passed coming out on 21 towards Boise was insane. It was bumper to bumper for over 20 miles from what I remember. I was sure glad we were going in and not trying to get out!

• Angry
Reactions: Bob
For anyone staying in the Boulder- Escalante area this Saturday: FYI…. there’s also a marathon (!) on Oct 14, on highway 12 (over the Hogsback) between Boulder-Escalante, start time 7:30am, closure 1:30pm. Additional traffic challenges ….

Last edited:
Speaking of eclipses. . .

There is to be a solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. The path of totality moves right over our little farm in Ashland, Ohio.

If anyone wants to be there to experience it, I'll rent you a space in one of the fields. Special discounts for BCP members. :D

Not exactly the backcountry. . . but definitely backroadsy. ;)

I've noticed that this eclipse is widely being marketed---with some dramatic license---as a "ring of fire eclipse," which sounds catchy but overlooks the fact that it will be almost as impressive in areas within a couple hundred miles of the path of annularity.

It was called a Ring of Fire eclipse back in 2012, too, so it's not really a new marketing term for this one.

Just looked up the old thread for that one: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/total-eclipse-of-the-sun.223/

Last edited:
Couldn't get a photo but Utah has a big sign over I-70 coming into the area from the east telling people to come prepared because there are no services way out there where the eclipse is happening.

Speaking of eclipses. . .

There is to be a solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. The path of totality moves right over our little farm in Ashland, Ohio.

If anyone wants to be there to experience it, I'll rent you a space in one of the fields. Special discounts for BCP members. :D

Not exactly the backcountry. . . but definitely backroadsy. ;)
Does it come with snapping turtles?

Good weather forecast for that area?

Well, it’s supposed to become sunny on Saturday, but it’s mostly cloudy Friday night. It’s predicted we will have 30% cloud cover Saturday morning. We shall see… That’s after a very sunny week & prime stargazing. A super windy front pushed through last evening. Rough evening till midnight, but the tent is still standing and the temperature came way down :)

IMG_2568.jpeg

For anyone staying in the Boulder- Escalante area this Saturday: FYI…. there’s also a marathon (!) on Oct 14, on highway 12 (over the Hogsback) between Boulder-Escalante, start time 7:30am, closure 1:30pm. Additional traffic challenges ….
Extra happy I finished my route early and headed home. I had a shuttle vehicle parked near Calf Creek. It was busy in Escalante yesterday.