Total eclipse of the Sun

John Fowler

There will be a total eclipse of the sun on May 20, 2012. It will sweep from northern California through central and southern Nevada, southern Utah and northern Arizona, and across New Mexico from four corners to the southeast corner and into the Texas panhandle. Peak time for the eclipse will be about 7:34 pm MDT. (Note that Arizona doesn't do daylight savings time.)

Here's a good link for more information:

http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/Gallery/Pages/Annular_solar_eclipse_of_2012_May_20.html

I hope we can have a discussion here about how to photograph this, both stills and time-lapse. And where would be a good place. Given that we won't know about clouds until very soon before the event, a range of contingencies would be nice.

Watching this thread... also now have plans for the 20th of May :)

DANG!!! I'm heading to havasu on the 21st :( can't believe I'm missing this by one day...

sounds like this could be a good get together of BCP peeps..

I have an Idea.. north rim of the Grand Canyon.. Tooroweep area.. BCP get together... all the uber photogs can catch us up on the new ways of doing things, some hiking, some drinking and hanging around the campfire :)

I have an Idea.. north rim of the Grand Canyon.. Tooroweep area.. BCP get together... all the uber photogs can catch us up on the new ways of doing things, some hiking, some drinking and hanging around the campfire :)

Hold that thought until March 5th. ;)

Looking forward to the 'Ring of Fire'

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/27jan_annulareclipse/

I'll be at Coyote Buttes North on the 19th and will stick around the area to catch this on the 20th
I'm still looking around for a good place. I will be at CBS on the 17th but then have to go to Valley of Fire on the 18th and Vegas on the 19th. So I am looking for a good place to stop on the way back to ABQ. Also I still haven't figured out how I'm gonna try to shoot it. I guess in totality it gets dark enough to see stars, but there should still be enough light to see some land features, or maybe not. It's a one-time thing so we won't get a do-over.

I got really lucky and snatched up a permit for 4 people to go to Coyote Buttes North on the day of the eclipse (May 20). But I'm hoping an even better permit comes through here in a a week or so. Waiting....

I got really lucky and snatched up a permit for 4 people to go to Coyote Buttes North on the day of the eclipse (May 20). But I'm hoping an even better permit comes through here in a a week or so. Waiting....
Lucky indeed! Do you have a plan yet for how you're going to shoot it?

Lucky indeed! Do you have a plan yet for how you're going to shoot it?

I'm not sure. My gut feel is that it would need to be video or time lapse but with variable settings so that the camera can adjust to the changing light automatically as things go from light to dark to light.

A good first step would be to figure out how people shoot time lapses that of from light to sunset to dark with a full starry sky.

I'm not sure. My gut feel is that it would need to be video OR shoot in time lapse but with variable settings so that the camera can adjust to the changing light automatically as things go from light to dark to light.

A good first step would be to figure out how people shoot time lapses that of from light to sunset to dark with a full starry sky.
I've been trying to figure that out. With my D7000 I have tried all the modes and aperture mode, for instance, just quits when the exposure time gets longer than about 0.1 sec. Manual mode, of course, will let me do a fade to darkness kind of thing but there is lots of variation among adjacent exposures and this creates flickering when going to video. Maybe it's just my camera. How do you cope with this?

There will be a total eclipse of the sun on May 20, 2012. It will sweep from northern California through central and southern Nevada, southern Utah and northern Arizona, and across New Mexico from four corners to the southeast corner and into the Texas panhandle. Peak time for the eclipse will be about 7:34 pm MDT. (Note that Arizona doesn't do daylight savings time.)

Here's a good link for more information:

http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/Gallery/Pages/Annular_solar_eclipse_of_2012_May_20.html

I hope we can have a discussion here about how to photograph this, both stills and time-lapse. And where would be a good place. Given that we won't know about clouds until very soon before the event, a range of contingencies would be nice.
Hi John, I am headed from Moab Utah to Ya-tah-hey New Mexico, just north of Gallop for total coverage

Hi John, I am headed from Moab Utah to Ya-tah-hey New Mexico, just north of Gallop for total coverage
I will continue to wait until the last day to scope out where there is likely to be a clear sky. I have ordered some 5.0 ND filters but due to the eclipse coming up, they are back-ordered. I still don't know how I will try to photograph this. Maybe it will be better just to watch. Since it will be an annular eclipse, it might be too bright to see much of the corona.