2015 Winter Outdoor Retailer Show Highlights

The pad was the best part of the system. It was super lightweight and looked like it insulated well. The bag is cute, but it's too bulky and heavy for my little 30lb dog to carry it with him. For car camping or really short trips, the bag system is awesome. I can't remember when they said their bag would be available.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video guys. The big Agnes's tent looks sweet. Those Luna's don't look to bad ether, ten times lighter than chacos. Did they look Iike they were pretty durable?

The lunas looked very well made. The only worry I have is how the strap loops under the footbed in one spot. He says it's never been an issue and they've never broken, but I could see that being a wear point over time. He said when you get your sandals wet and walk around, you leave footprints that look like bare feet. So since there's no real weight on that part, I could see how it'd be a lesser wear point. I wish they had used the nylon plugs there. I would love a flip flop version.

Ok, back from the OR show. Only took a few pics, everything else you can see on the specific websites, and some places wouldn't let me take pics. One thing from the show, wait till fall to get new stuff, there is a lot coming. Discussion after pics.

P1030005.JPG

Solar powered plastic light cube. Inflate it and its like a lantern and floats. Various sizes. Kinda neat.

P1030006.JPG

From sea to summit. Folding cook pot, silicone on top aluminum heat surface on bottom. A couple of sizes. Way compact as you can see in pic behind. They also had a pretty neat airpad, about 15oz, insulated that looked good. (wouldn't let me take a pic of it for some reason)

P1030007.JPG

Wife liked this cause she hates dragging the kayak around. About $125.

P1030008.JPG

I liked this one, from Sierra Designs. light, roomy, but needs trek poles. Specs compared to Seedhouse SL2 follows. Sorry doesn't come with the lights. I think he said it weighed 2lbs 9oz. Would sleep 3 in a pinch.

P1030009.JPG

Other stuff but no pics.
Luna's...... I'd pass because I don't like between toes. I think the side straps would take a beating on the rocks on a trail, river work and smooth rocks and in camp probably fine. Price, the lightweights are $70. A decent lightweight water shoe is less $, weighs about the same. All the tevas looked designer now. The Gowheel I'd buy, it's cool, even at $1400. Check it out on facebook, I'd get the single wheel. https://www.facebook.com/gowheelsg. Scarpa, LaSPortiva has some good BPing boots out, HoneyStingers have new items, MSR and Brunton have Jetboil similar stoves now that you need to look at for choices. Mountain Hardwear is coming out with new packs, sorry I didn't look at Osprey which so many like. I found some really light crampons and Ice axe from Cassin to pick up. Kahtoola's are being redesigned. (I like the Cassin crampons better). Thermarest has some newer NEOair type pads that are light and insulated. You can get Platypus' with your name embossesd on them now, haha. Black Diamond just had the usual neat stuff, nothing new. Some new stuff in Leki and Komp hiking poles. There were some pretty cool backcountry skiis, but I don't do that anymore. Big Agnes had the lighted tent, battery pack wasn't that huge, not for me though. Guys had a small slack line set up, wife really liked it so we bought a small one for the yard. All in all pretty good this year, not just a repeat. A lot of good buying deals if you were looking for things.

Weird that sea to summit wouldn't let you taKeep any pics. They did a 5+ mminute video for us. We had audio issues so it didn't make it into the edit. I didn't catch how light the pads were, thanks for the info. Those pads looked pretty comfy.

That lantern is cool, thanks for posting the details on that.

@Bob who do you work for? What about you @Parma?

Ha .... I am retired from USPS. But work summer as contract EMT for the USFS on Wildland Fire. My son shares his passes from his work, but I think next year I am getting my own.

I got the two pics at Sea to Summit with a sales lady next to me, then a guy telling me about the pads said I couldn't take pics. I said the media takes pic and he said that was different. Told him I was posting on a BPing forum for exposure too.

Currently I can offer Honeystingers stuff at around 45% off there list price plus shipping. I can get some off on Drymax, darntough, lorpen, tholo and wigwam socks. Drymax is kinda neat, a wick layer and cushion layer combined. I'm trying them now.
I am checking into Western Mountaineering for a pro deal, have to call the guy next week.....maybe :whistle: cross fingers, for a group buy on bags (wholesale price is $125 off on most). Also, checking with Cassin next week, maybe the same for climbing gear, carabiners, iceaxes (theres about 30% off retail). Sometimes though companies don't let anything out discounted.....

Stay tuned.....

I work at BYU, I oversee the Licensing &Trademark program for BYU branded merchandise. So I go to trade shows to see the latest in fashion/technology and visit with companies that are licensed to do BYU stuff and potential businesses too.

For all the talk of Tevas on the thread, I have to say that I made the mistake of buying a closed toe pair for my Coyote Gulch trip a number of years ago. I thought they would offer good protection from stabbing my toes on anything in the stream and elsewhere. Well, they did that and they also did a great job of trapping a bunch of smaller sand, peebles, and other grit that flowed into them and caused some painful sores as a result. My wife, who had an open toe pair had no such issues.

Still, they were and still are incredibly comfortable under my feet. Great tread too, but I only wear them casually now. If they were much lighter weight, I'd bring them along as campshoes on some backpacking trips.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk