Grandaddy Basin Uintas August 2015

TClark

My brother and I took our 8 year old sons backpacking to the Grandaddy basin Aug. 6-9, 2015. I hadn't been backpacking in years, and had never taken my son backpacking before. In the months and weeks leading up to the trip we gathered all the gear we would need. It was interesting to see how much my son got into it. He loved going shopping for gear with me and always wanted to talk about where we were going to hike, camp and fish. With everything we did to prepare, I think the most important was to go on some practice hikes. We'd get up early on Saturday mornings and do about a 4 mile hike on the hills close to our home. For an 8 year old the mental aspect of doing a hike in the Uintas can be daunting. However, having done the practice hikes he was prepared, and did not complain once.

On August 6th we drove to the Grandview Trail head. I was surprised to see the parking lot completely full on a Thursday morning. We headed up the trail at about 10 am. The first two miles of the trail to Hades Pass is the hardest part of the hike into Grandaddy Basin, however I would not say that it was difficult. We had planned to stop in the pass and have our lunch.

Me and my son Justin at the trail head.
upload_2016-1-12_22-52-40.jpeg

My brother Lee and his son Brody. Lee is always up for a good adventure.
upload_2016-1-12_22-53-31.jpeg

Justin and Brody at a pond in Hades Pass.
upload_2016-1-12_22-54-46.jpeg

We met this little guy in the pass. He must be used to hikers because he'd come right over to us.
upload_2016-1-12_22-56-6.jpeg

From here we headed down the other side of the trail past Grandaddy lake on our way to the north end of Betsy lake where we had planned to camp the first night. When we got to the north end of Betsy lake there were a couple of scout groups camped there, so we decided to push on a little further and ended up camping about half way between Betsy lake and Fish Hatchery lake.

Headed down the trail towards Grandaddy lake.
upload_2016-1-12_23-2-36.jpeg

Heart lake from near the pass
upload_2016-1-12_23-4-8.jpeg

Grandaddy lake
upload_2016-1-12_23-4-49.jpeg

Outlet at Betsy lake
upload_2016-1-12_23-5-32.jpeg

Found a good campsite around 2:30pm and got set up.
upload_2016-1-12_23-6-50.jpeg

The plan was to get up Friday morning, pack up camp and hike to Governor Dern lake to spend the night. Saturday morning we would pack up camp again, and take a different route back to Betsy lake going past Rainbow lake , Lost lake and Brinton Meadow, ultimately camping at Betsy Saturday night. However, when we got of Friday morning it was raining cats and dogs. We decided instead of packing everything up wet we'd stay camped where we were and do some day hikes. Friday we went back to Betsy to do some fishing. We also visited Mohawk lake and did some fishing at a pond located between the two.

Weather moving in from the south over Betsy lake
upload_2016-1-12_23-16-26.jpeg

Trying to catch some fish at Betsy, but with the wind and rain we weren't having much luck
upload_2016-1-12_23-17-18.jpeg

I learned that taking my son's camo jacket was a mistake. I had a hard time picking him out in the trees and brush.
upload_2016-1-12_23-19-9.jpeg

Mohawk lake
upload_2016-1-12_23-21-7.jpeg

Back at camp having some dinner
upload_2016-1-12_23-22-42.jpeg

Friday night got really interesting. At about midnight a storm moved in and it was lightning and raining like mad all around us. I couldn't sleep, so I just laid awake in my sleeping bag. At 1:30 am I can see a flashlight out side. I was thinking Lee and Brody must be wet or are having an issue with their tent. It was storming so hard that they would not have been able to hear me if I yelled to them. I got out of my sleeping bag and was getting prepared to go out and see what they needed when the light went out. I thought whatever it was he must have gotten it fixed, so I climbed back in my bag. The next morning Lee ask me what I was doing outside with my flashlight in the middle of the night. I told him it wasn't me, and that I thought it was him. What really surprises me is that we were camped well off the trail. You could not see our camp from the trail in the daylight. I have no idea how someone stumbled into our camp in the middle of a thunderstorm at 1:30 in the morning.

Saturday we hiked to Fish Hatchery lake . It was windy, but the fishing was a little better. Me and Justin got Skunked but Lee and Brody each caught a fish. Later when we got back to camp we cooked the fish in some tinfoil. They tasted fantastic. That evening we headed back to Betsy, but didn't have any luck with the fishing. On a side note, the week before we went we got some real cold weather, and the Uintas got freezing temperatures. As a result there were no mosquitoes while we were there. We didn't even have to wear any insect repellent.

Hiking to Fish Hatchery lake
upload_2016-1-12_23-39-35.jpeg

View across Fish Hatchery lake
upload_2016-1-12_23-41-4.jpeg

Brody eating some of the fish he had caught
upload_2016-1-12_23-42-28.jpeg

Did I mention the fish was delicious
upload_2016-1-12_23-43-11.jpeg

Sunday morning we packed up camp and headed back towards the trail head. We had a great time, and Justin and Brody loved it. I think they'll remember this trip for a long time.

On our way back to the trail head
upload_2016-1-12_23-48-30.jpeg

This is how Justin and Brody hiked most of the time. They talked about everything and anything two little boys could be interested in.
upload_2016-1-12_23-49-21.jpeg

We stopped in the pass on the way back for a rest and these two had a little siesta
upload_2016-1-12_23-50-34.jpeg

Okay, this is where I need help from all of you. I'm planning a trip back to the Uintas for 2016. I'm considering a few different places - Brown Duck Basin, Farmers and Timothy lakes, Chain lakes, Fox lake. Any advice one way or another on any of these locations. I'm also open to any suggests on other locations. Just keep in mind that it has to be doable for two 9 year olds.

That's awesome! Great report, thanks for sharing. Love seeing the little ones getting outdoors like that. We need more of that so more children hopefully grow up with an appreciation for the out doors.

And welcome aboard.
Cheers!

It's something those boys will never forget...Grandaddy Lakes are a great place for showing kids backpacking

I'm with Jon and Parma...great to see you getting the youngsters out. Thanks for sharing.

Backpacking with my son is a dream of mine. I love seeing TR's like this. Thanks for sharing!

I think the kids would do well hiking into Cuberant, Ibantik, and Kamas Lakes. they are all great and close. They could probably handle Naturalist Basin as well (might be a stretch)

How fun! Having a friend or cousin along like that can add another dynamic of fun to it. I'm sure my older kids would love to go on a little trip like that with some of their cousins. This has inspired me to try and make it happen for them. Thanks for posting and welcome to BCP!

Backpacking with my son is a dream of mine. I love seeing TR's like this. Thanks for sharing!

I think the kids would do well hiking into Cuberant, Ibantik, and Kamas Lakes. they are all great and close. They could probably handle Naturalist Basin as well (might be a stretch)

Cuberant basin looks like it would be fun. I see you've been there recently. How were the crowds? I'd imagine it's busy like the Grandaddy basin.

How fun! Having a friend or cousin along like that can add another dynamic of fun to it. I'm sure my older kids would love to go on a little trip like that with some of their cousins. This has inspired me to try and make it happen for them. Thanks for posting and welcome to BCP!

It was great to go with the cousins. I have two other brothers and their kids that are going to join us on this years trip.

I'm with Jon and Parma...great to see you getting the youngsters out. Thanks for sharing.

I have a six year old son as well that is just dying to go with us this year. I'm going to have to hold him off another year or two until he can pack a little more weight.

Cuberant basin looks like it would be fun. I see you've been there recently. How were the crowds? I'd imagine it's busy like the Grandaddy basin.

It is probably the most popular area in the Uinta's. We saw lots of people day hiking the area. not a ton of campers though. Don't expect to much solitude here, but the scenery is good :) we ran into some families with young kids hiking the trail. they were having a blast catching salamanders in one of the ponds! so fun!

Awesome TR. Lots of lifetime pictures in this report. Love the 2 walking down the trail together. Classic and congrats for getting the kids out!

Great TR. It gives me a little more hope that the trip that I am planning this summer will go well. I have a 5 and 7 year old that I am going to try and take and granddaddy was on my list of possible places.

Great TR. It gives me a little more hope that the trip that I am planning this summer will go well. I have a 5 and 7 year old that I am going to try and take and granddaddy was on my list of possible places.

I think Granddaddy is a good place to take kids. The first couple of miles of the hike are uphill, but it's not very steep. I'd suggest taking them on a couple of practice hikes and see how they do. That will give you a good idea of what they are capable of doing.

we have done several day hikes to places like Clyde lake, Wall Lake, and Murdoch Basin and they have done very well on those. We have just never made the leap to staying the night