Zion Subway Conditions Spring 2012

Nick

-
Went through The Subway on May 20, 2012. Conditions were prime, pretty typical water flows, more than August 2011 but less than June 2011. The park service has rerouted the route in a couple of places to follow a lower impact path. Primarily up at the top where the slickrock begins and then again beyond the slickrock pass on the other side of Russell Gulch. That part proved to be a bit of a problem as we actually lost the trail for a moment and had to refind it. The existing trail had big logs blocking it, not sure where exactly they meant to send the traffic. The log wedged into the Bowling Alley was still easy to sneak under despite a recent report that it may need to be bypassed. Good times! Trip reports coming soon.

One more thing... the water was cold but not terrible. If you're naturally good with cold water and it is a sunny, warm day, you'd probably be okay without. If you are normal or run cold, you'll probably still want one. I wore a 3mm farmer john and wish I'd left it behind.

One more thing... the water was cold but not terrible. If you're naturally good with cold water and it is a sunny, warm day, you'd probably be okay without. If you are normal or run cold, you'll probably still want one. I wore a 3mm farmer john and wish I'd left it behind.
I second the wetsuit idea. if you don't need one go without it makes your hike out easier.

Back