Zion Scrambles March 2019 Day 4

zionsky

With South Guardian out of the picture for another year, I had to make other plans for my final day in Zion. It was another beautiful day so I headed back to one of my favorites spots in the upper east canyon. I parked just off the main road and slipped up the wash of Cock-eye Falls. Arriving at the head of the wash dividing Lost Peak and the Triplets, I broke right and climbed the north ridge of Lost Peak. It was mostly class 3 with one spot just below the summit that required a mini – ledge leap and short climb up a very exposed slope. DSC_0083.JPG
The views on top were terrific.
20190329_104937.jpg20190329_104955.jpg20190329_104839.jpg20190329_104835.jpgFound the summit register.20190329_104804.jpg
20190329_100343.jpg
I came down the same way and traversed westward to quickly bag the class 2 summit of Lost Teton.
Following the drainage behind Lost Peak toward the Crawford wash, I cut east and traversed thru lots of sand and scrub bush behind the Triplets over to Point of Compassion.
20190329_124037.jpg
From there, I headed back thru the saddle between the Triplets and the Fin. During my hike up from the road, I spied what looked to be a doable class III route up between the 3rd & 4th Triplet. I made it up to within 100' of the summit but the rock was very loose and there too much exposure for my comfort so I turned around and spared my wife the embarrassment of having to tell our friends I died falling off a mountain. DSC_0943.JPG
I had also read about summit route on the east side of the 4th Triplet. I took a brief look and I did find what appeared to be a class ¾ route on that side but I didn't have enough gas in the tank to try. Gotta leave something for next year. Last views of the upper east for 2019.
DSC_0973.JPGDSC_0091.JPGSee ya in 2020!

Thanks!!! Love Zion!!!

Something to keep in mind for your next Zion trip. The hike down Crawford Wash is quite fun. Series of mini dry falls until you hit bottom and the wall, then turn left to a window view into Parunuweep. Also Crawford Overlook is reachable if you go straight to the ridgeline from Lost Peak. Do not access it via Joe Braun's suggestions. The ridgeline has a few breaks but the boys and I managed it just fine. Here is a BCP trip report on that. https://backcountrypost.com/threads/parunuweap-canyon.5678/#post-68234 Can you describe "Point of Compassion"? So I can match the name to a feature?

Last edited:
If you came up separation canyon, you probably went right by (or over the saddle) to point of compassion. It is due south of nippletop (another great short scramble in the upper east canyon I might add!) I think you captured it in one of your photos. There's nothing truly remarkable or difficult about it. I was just rambling behind the triplets and knew it was there and my motto is "if you see a hill, go climb it"

If you came up separation canyon, you probably went right by (or over the saddle) to point of compassion. It is due south of nippletop (another great short scramble in the upper east canyon I might add!) I think you captured it in one of your photos. There's nothing truly remarkable or difficult about it. I was just rambling behind the triplets and knew it was there and my motto is "if you see a hill, go climb it"
@chandlerwest This is a picture from a few years ago looking south from nippletop summit . Point of compassion is the small peak in the lower left corner
DSC_1007.JPG

@chandlerwest This is a picture from a few years ago looking south from nippletop summit . Point of compassion is the small peak in the lower left corner
View attachment 76604
Okay.....yes we went through the saddle to the right. I LOVE this shot because I was looking at a map yesterday and I want to explore all that green beyond then walk ridges until I get out into the canyon.....as far as it lets me. I did this a couple years ago to the ridges just off screen to the left.