Zion Scrambles March 2019 Day 2

zionsky

My internal alarm was still on east coast time so I was out the door by 7:00 a.m. I made my way to the upper east canyon once again and was the second car in the small parking lot as you exit the east end of the tunnel. I quickly made my way into Gifford canyon. There was more water in this canyon so I chose my path carefully looking to avoid any “quicksand” I made my way past the first dryfall and into the upper part of the canyon. Nearing the canyon's obvious end, I made a right turn and headed up the steep wash.
DSC_0001.JPG

A short way up I encountered a 50' high waterfall. The work around (to the north) was steep but with minimal exposure. In fact, most of the route finding for this wash followed the right hand side (north side) After a steady climb up the wash, I arrived at the slickrock bowl beneath Roof and Hepworth Peaks. Straight ahead was an 80' high “not so dry” fall.
DSC_1079.JPG
I knew there was a route to the top of Hepworth above the fall but ascending it directly looked daunting. I looked straight up to my right and saw what appeared to be a doable friction climb.
DSC_1021.JPG
It was very steep in places and a misstep would have resulted in serious injury but I never truly felt unsafe. My new la sportiva raptors weren't made by the chinese but they came with a kung fu grip. By the time I made it to the top of Hepworth Peak, my calves were burning. Needless to say the views in all directions were awesome.
DSC_1027.JPG
Looking across at Roof's impressive profile view
DSC_1037.JPG
I headed down off the southwest side thru some chossy but slightly more gentle terrain.
DSC_1047.JPG
Ascending Roof Peak was slightly easier although one spot just below the summit was fairly chossy. Of the two I would say the views from Roof are better simply because you could see more of Parunuweap Canyon. I was surprised to see such much snow on top of Canaan mountain off in the distance.
DSC_1051.JPG
DSC_1064.JPG
This is a view of the wash up from Gifford canyon from Roof Peak
DSC_1071.JPG
A quick lunch and nap and I was ready to head back. At the base of Roof you encounter lots of colorful sandstone blocks.
DSC_1074.JPG
I didn't see any other way to get back to the bowl other than to descend the 80' fall. Once again I stayed on the north side and founded a workable class 3 route down.
DSC_1077.JPG
It was early afternoon when I made it back to the car and the sun was starting to peak out so with time to kill I made the obligatory hike out to the canyon overlook. Even with a few clouds; it's never a bad view!
DSC_1827.JPG
Back to town and an early dinner at Oscar's capped another great day.

I like that you are going "beyond" places I have been. My footwear doesn't have kung fu grip so I freak out too soon on some of these slopes. Have you ever been to Shelf Canyon? It is probably Very wet this time of year but it is a very short and glorious side trip. I thought of this when you ran out to Canyon Overlook as they start at the same place.

Hoping to see more of the off the beaten track Zion Eastside. We have done Progeny Peak and Many Pools, but that only whetted our appetite for more.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
zionsky Zion Scrambles March 2019 Day 4 Hiking & Camping 5
zionsky Zion Scrambles March 2019 Day 3 Hiking & Camping 4
zionsky Zion Scrambles March 2019 Day 1 Hiking & Camping 2
J Zion National Park Trails and scrambles Nov 9-12, 2017 Hiking & Camping 6
S Zion Subway - flash flood risk on Friday / Saturday? (4/26) Trip Planning 1
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Public bus from St George to Zion NP in 2024 General Discussion 7
Bob Zion Fees UP Trip Planning 14
fossana New Zion NP advisory for toxic cyanobacteria 11.08.2023 General Discussion 6
zionsky Roaming around Zion Fall 2022 Hiking & Camping 4
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
zionsky Flash Flood in Zion General Discussion 3
TrailScot Zion backpacking permit changes General Discussion 3
G Dispersed camping near Zion? Trip Planning 5
G Zion trail report please Trip Planning 6
G Zion (half) traverse in April '21? Trip Planning 31
zionsky November in Zion Hiking & Camping 8
chandlerwest Zion Nat'l Park - October Adventures 2020 Hiking & Camping 16
Yvonne Zion Wilderness Permits and Canyoneering permits opened up again General Discussion 11
zionsky Vandalism in Zion General Discussion 4
zionsky Zion to Resume Shuttles July 1 General Discussion 2
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
wabenho Zion Front-country - Nov. 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne A misty Thanksgiving Hike, Zion NP Hiking & Camping 11
fossana 24 Aug rockfall and E Rim trail closure in Zion (again) General Discussion 3
fossana Eastern Sun Canyon to the Narrows (Zion NP) Canyoneering 4
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
zionsky Fatality in Zion National Park General Discussion 1
chandlerwest Continuing Adventures in Eastern Zion National Park Hiking & Camping 31
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
I Zion-South Utah Spring Break - March 9th-March 14th Trip Planning 15
C Route 9 Through Zion closed indefinitely. General Discussion 25
zionsky Snowshoe Rental in Zion Gear 2
fossana Kolob Canyons (Zion NP) still closed for road construction Trip Planning 2
Yvonne Snowshoeing Northgate Peaks, Zion NP, December 2018 Winter Sports 10
J Zion Traverse in early December Trip Planning 19
D Zion NP in the winter Trip Planning 7
fossana PSA: Zion NP off-limit Research Natural Areas General Discussion 24
Jammer Zion to Arches Hike Backpacking 26
chandlerwest Just Some Drainage in the East side of Zion Nat'l Park Hiking & Camping 9
fossana Destination Peak plus (Zion NP) Hiking & Camping 2
fossana South Guardian Angel (Zion NP, UT) Hiking & Camping 3
Rockskipper Zion National Park visitors rescued after mocking rangers, hiking The Subway unprepared General Discussion 97
Nick Invite Zion Canyoneering 5/5 Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Mike Jones Big Sur or Zion Next Week? Trip Planning 20
LarryBoy A week in Zion... Advice needed! Trip Planning 7
C Invite Trans Zion Trek April 11-14 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
J Camping outside East entrance of Zion NP General Discussion 2