Zion Nat'l Park - Rim of the East Canyons

chandlerwest

I presume there is an area of Zion National Park that doesn't get much action. The East Rim Trail and Deertrap Trail can get you initial access but soon you have to head off trail to get to what could be some of the grandest views in the National Park Service. It took me three separate day treks to cover the rim from east to west.

This area is prime landscape for expanding the backcountry of Zion. Put in a dozen campsites and build an easy trail and it would be appreciated for generations to come. But I don't think that this type of development is part of the Park Services recent mindset. They understandably focus on how to give the multitudes that visits Parks a better experience of the currently available access. Weren't the last trails built in the 1930's....ha.

Zion is blessed with easily attained wilderness for those with the desire and time.

My initial trip was in March 2017. I headed up the East Rim Trail three or so miles until I came to the head of an unnamed canyon. The trail is put behind me and the adventure begins.

Jolley Gulch from the East Rim Trail
IMG_0508.JPG

Head out thru the maze of brush. With no foliage in March it made it easier to weave my way in and around.
IMG_0526.JPG

Looking to the rim country to the west.
IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

How is this for a perfect split. I felt like I was the first to trek these ridges.
IMG_0558.JPG

Looking across future rim country.
IMG_0570.JPG

The following four photos are a panorama from the point from west to east.
IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0593.JPG

Interesting pothole like Upper Keyhole Canyon. I need to explore that!
IMG_0589.JPG

Keyhole Canyon narrows
IMG_0591.JPG

Walls of Parunuweep Canyon on the southern border of Zion National Park
IMG_0597.JPG

Walking east along the rim.
IMG_0606.JPG

The view out the east entrance of Zion National Park
IMG_0611.JPG

That is Checkerboard Mesa on the left.
IMG_0612.JPG

Views across then down the unnamed canyon where I went off trail.
IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0625.JPG

The last week of September I continued my adventure. In order to day hike I needed to use any access that was available. If you drive through a guest ranch along the North Fork road you find this obscure connector trail that gives quick access to the mid point of the East Rim Trail. After almost 2 miles on trail I head off trail again.
IMG_2260.JPG

Looking across the Root Canals. These are two parallel canyons that sort of like an tooth x-ray on Google Earth or a map.
IMG_2265.JPG

Landscape to get to the rim
IMG_2269.JPG

At the southwest point of the ridge. I saw similar rock formations in March on the southwest corner of that trip. 1.1 miles away as the crow flies. What is that about?
IMG_2273.JPG

The following five photos are a panorama from the east to the west. Yonder high spot, to the left of middle has the similar ground rock
IMG_2275.JPG IMG_2276.JPG
Lower end of the Root Canal
IMG_2277.JPG IMG_2278.JPG

Note the ridge that separates the Root Canal
IMG_2279.JPG

Miscellaneous views as I walk to the east.
IMG_2281.JPG IMG_2284.JPG IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2301.JPG IMG_2306.JPG

Lets call this West Fork of Keyhole
IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2322.JPG

Now to work my way to the head of the Root Canals. I found that if I connected the tree skeletons the bushwacking wasn't That bad.
IMG_2328.JPG

East Root Canal
IMG_2332.JPG

Head of East Root Canal
IMG_2335.JPG

I'm now heading along the ridge that separates the Root Canals. This is looking into the West Root Canal
IMG_2339.JPG

This was a two feet circular, couple inches thick rock that blew my mind.
IMG_2341.JPG

I went until I was stopped by a 50 ft. drop off
IMG_2343.JPG IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2352.JPG

The beauty of Zion is in the details
IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2356.JPG

The head of West Root Canal. A bit of a bear to reach!
IMG_2363.JPG IMG_2365.JPG

The third day of the adventure took place October 3rd. I was amazed I headed perfectly to the West Root Canal. I am heading out the ridge on the right.
IMG_2371.JPG

The terrain is narly but not as bad as it looks
IMG_2375.JPG

At 6,900 feet this is pretty high for this area. This is a shot far off to the north.
IMG_2389.JPG

I loved the early morning light kissing the slopes
IMG_2394.JPG

Across to West Temple
IMG_2397.JPG

Todays trip was essentially a horseshoe around a basin that I wrote an earlier trip report for. This basin has extremely challenging access so I considered it a hidden wonder of the park. This looks across to Deertrap Mtn. which is where my rim trek will end. Flat green ridge.
IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2409.JPG

Looking up the Root Canal
IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2416.JPG

The following five photos are a panorama from west to east
IMG_2418.JPG IMG_2419.JPG IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2423.JPG

Looking straight down.......the lines!
IMG_2425.JPG

Bridge Mountain
IMG_2433.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

East Temple -- West Temple
IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

Now I start the horseshoe around the basin
IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2444.JPG

Progeny Peak is way down there on the left middle. @Scott Chandler and @Jeffrey Chandler and I have scrambled up that.
IMG_2445.JPG IMG_2464.JPG

Lets call this Small Tunnel Canyon. I have yet to explore that.
IMG_2465.JPG

Check out that tree hanging onto that rock
IMG_2474.JPG IMG_2477.JPG

The following four photos are from a surprise point that I wasn't expecting. From west to east
IMG_2488.JPG IMG_2489.JPG IMG_2490.JPG IMG_2491.JPG

Shooting across Deertrap to West Temple
IMG_2496.JPG

A view to the north. Great White Throne is in the middle with the hoodoos on top.
IMG_2504.JPG

I was startled by these Bighorn a split second after I startled them.
IMG_2505.JPG IMG_2506.JPG

The Virgin River Canyon becomes visible to the west.
IMG_2512.JPG

Head of Pine Creek Canyon
IMG_2514.JPG

Making my way out Deertrap Mtn. Court of the Patriarchs
IMG_2516.JPG

The following five photos are a panorama from east to west from the point of Deertrap Mtn.
IMG_2526.JPG IMG_2527.JPG

Progeny Peak and Pine Creek
IMG_2528.JPG

East Temple
IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2530.JPG

Gifford Canyon which heads south from the east end of the long tunnel
IMG_2534.JPG

Spry Canyon and what I am calling the reflective light on East Temple
IMG_2536.JPG IMG_2544.JPG

Cliffs far to the east.
IMG_2538.JPG

Headed back to the trail from the point of Deertrap the views got simply nuts into the Virgin River Canyon.
IMG_2548.JPG

Looks up into the drainage above Court of the Patriarchs
IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2554.JPG

The Zion Lodge is at the end of this canyon in the foreground. IMG_2559.JPG IMG_2562.JPG

Look at that wall!!
IMG_2564.JPG IMG_2570.JPG

Now it is a 4 mile hike back the trail to the car.
IMG_2577.JPG

But first lets see if I can find the head of Hidden Canyon
IMG_2581.JPG

To get to this limited shot I had to go across a side angled, loose, poison oak, dark forest slope.
IMG_2584.JPG

Surely I could do better so I clawed my way up hill under tree limbs and over rocks. A bit better.
IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2589.JPG

That is Observation Point at the mouth of the canyon.
IMG_2592.JPG

The pink cliffs far to the north.
IMG_2597.JPG

Three years ago I started my exploration of the east side of Zion. I almost have the map filled in with what I am capable of doing. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Love it. Great views from up there.

I've gone up above Keyhole several times -- such an amazing basin. I really would like to confirm a way to the top going this way. I've attempted connecting the rim above Jughandle Arch. It looks like it's possible in two different spots, but I didn't have time to explore it fully. The route is definitely NOT for those with a fear of exposure. Another time I got way up the main draw, but got turned back by snow. I'm less confident that this route is feasible. Curious to know if anyone else has ever done this.

I've gone up above Keyhole several times -- such an amazing basin. I really would like to confirm a way to the top going this way. I've attempted connecting the rim above Jughandle Arch. It looks like it's possible in two different spots, but I didn't have time to explore it fully. The route is definitely NOT for those with a fear of exposure. Another time I got way up the main draw, but got turned back by snow. I'm less confident that this route is feasible. Curious to know if anyone else has ever done this.
Low key i've thought of that being possible.... the "under rim" doesn't seem too hard to explore, so as long as a break can be found it should hopefully be doable

I assume you have gotten to the mesa that Jughandle is a part of? You get there by crossing Keyhole Creek and keeping to the left of the mesa with Jughandle. (I call it West Keyhole Canyon in my photos). Then climb up an obvious fall line to the mesa top. But to get to the rim from this mesa is problematic. There are at least two significant breaks in the wall that would require equipment to get across. I don't know about climbing out at the true head of Keyhole Canyon. Probably pretty sketchy.

I assume you have gotten to the mesa that Jughandle is a part of?

Yep -- been there. Following the ridge straight back leads to an intimidating scramble. However, contouring around the bend above upper Keyhole looks doable, but there is one spot that looks really sketchy where I turned back as I was overdue. In hindsight I wish I'd checked it out as I bet it's one of those spots which looks worse from afar than up close. Past this point it looks like a piece of cake. Here's the spot:

AboveKeyholeRoute.jpg

Yep -- been there. Following the ridge straight back leads to an intimidating scramble. However, contouring around the bend above upper Keyhole looks doable, but there is one spot that looks really sketchy where I turned back as I was overdue. In hindsight I wish I'd checked it out as I bet it's one of those spots which looks worse from afar than up close. Past this point it looks like a piece of cake. Here's the spot:

View attachment 58447
Going up past Jughandle Arch is on my to-do list!