Y'stone Faces Challenges

scatman

I enjoy reading the Jackson Hole Daily when I'm in Jackson. The Thursday's September 5th Edition has an article titled "Y'stone faces challenges" on the front page. The article continues on page three, and in the fifth to last paragraph, Park Superintendent Cam Sholly states, " There's a misguided view in the media that the park is overflowing. Its 475 miles of road are frequently used and backed up, in no small part due to uncontrollable bison meandering along the asphalt, but use of the park's backcountry is decreasing. Yellowstone has far fewer people in the backcountry than it did five years ago, in part because people are requesting fewer permits and in part because group sizes are decreasing." That has him focused on the front country impacts.

Now somebody on this forum is going to have to hit me between the eyes with a baseball bat. If there are fewer permits being requested, how is it that all my family members (four total) put in for the lottery, but none were successful in getting in the lottery? :mad: This just doesn't jive in the Scatman brain. @Rockskipper, it is your turn to step up to the plate with the bat. Give 'er a good old swing and see what you can do.

Those few just want the same sites you want....Maybe because they are closer to the Trailheads? People are getting so they want less work to get places....

Last edited:
Could be fewer people but the same number of permits if group size is going down. So instead of 6 in a group it is 2, still takes up a campsite. If this is the case, an easy fix would be to share sites like Glacier or Smokies.

I can’t say I see that happening. I did *win* a lottery permit, but when I tried to use it, I couldn’t make any of the 8 or so trips work. I live nearby, and could modify days, or sites, somewhat. Before Recreation . Gov, I would put in, and they would give me something, or call and we would tak about what could be done nearby. I always got something. Then The System happened, and I can’t get to places as much. When I do walk ups, I usually get what I want, or something close. I’ll put in or the lottery again next year, but I doubt I’ll *win* anything. I also wonder what the difference is between the number of people who have a campsite reserved, and the number who actually show up.

I'd like to see what data they have backing up that claim. With rec.gov taking over the permit process, and the new lottery system, I'd say there are certainly lots of people applying there.

To be completely fair though, on the new system we have put together some last minute trips pretty easily. Most of them were just a night or two, but last year I put together a 7 night permit just a few days before I arrived.

I do wonder how many of those people actually show up though? I know on some of my longer trips, I've passed by sites I wanted fairly late in the day & found them unoccupied.

but to be serious, that's wild about decreasing backcountry use + permitting problems. I imagine the latter can be explained by things people here are saying + also maybe some of the lotteries are getting spammed by people using automation.

Yellowstone has far fewer people in the backcountry than it did five years ago, in part because people are requesting fewer permits and in part because group sizes are decreasing.
AND in part because now we are not permitted in Hayden Valley. :thumbsdown:

After playing tourist in Yellowstone for the past week I have to say I am impressed with the work that has been done to the roads recently (between Old Faithful and Lake, Norris and Mammoth, Canyon and Tower). The bridge works over Lewis River in the South and Yellowstone River (to get into Lamar Valley) are quite the undertaking. The repair work done to the NE entrance road/N entrance road from the 2022 floods is impressive considering the time it took to complete. There is definitely focus on the front country.

That being said, I was reminded why I prefer the backcountry. . . being at Canyon or around Mammoth was like being at an amusement park. I'll give the lottery process a try again for 2025 even though it has not been kind to me in the past.

Maybe I need to wear a kilt when I submit my application? Or does being a Scatty decrease my chances of being selected? :thinking:

In regards to the article, what other "challenges" is Yellowstone facing?

When I was living in Livingston, I noticed there was almost nobody in the park in the early spring. The GYE extends well beyond Yellowstone and someone wanting a true wilderness experience has tons of other places they can go that have just as much wildlife and beauty.

Last edited:
When I was living in Livingston, I noticed there was almost nobody in the park in the early spring. The GYE extends well beyond Yellowstone and someone wanting a true wilderness experience has tons of other places they can go that have just as much wildlife and beauty.

Blasphemy I say! :D Yellowstone is the Bomb! :timebomb: It's the hottest :hot: wilderness ticket in the lower 48. Where else can you mingle with a herd of bison sans the ranger? Cuddle with a grizzly in Hayden Valley? All the thermal areas? Not to mention the history. And where else can you find a kilted lad making his way off-trail to some remote piece of wilderness? :wavespin:

Back