Yosemite snow shoeing 1-2 nights

Mike Jones

Looking to do a one to two night snow shoeing trip in Yosemite. Looking to sleep under the stars in the snow. Any suggestions for routes that would provide breathtaking views?

Here's a couple I would consider if I had 2 nights. I've never snowshoe'd though, so I don't know if any extra considerations needs to be factored in with that in mind...

- Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne is an awesome 2-nighter (requires a shuttle or hitching a ride back to the start), but probably better in Spring with the snow melt adding to the river and waterfalls.

- Ottoway Lakes via Illilouette Basin. Glacier Point road will be closed during winter so you can either start at Happy Isles, in The Valley or hike up to Glacier Point via the Four Mile Trail (strenuous climb, especially with packs) and start there.

- Merced Lake, either as a loop from Tuolumne Meadows via Cathedral Lakes and Vogelsang or as an out and back from either The Valley or Tenaya Lake.

High Sierra Topix forum should be able to offer some good suggestions too; http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/

Dan: Tioga road is closed and will probably stay closed through May or so...making the hike to the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne way out of reach. And that's the same road that goes to Tuolumne Meadows....so I don't think those are reasonable options at all

And Happy Isles to Ottoway Lakes? That's gotta be at least forty miles round trip, in snowshoes, and with no visible trail? That's one hell of a two day trip....more like a week....

Glacier Point Road is usually closed at Badger Pass during the winter, so the closest you'll get is something like the Ostrander hut---but it doesn't have great views at all..

Dan: Tioga road is closed and will probably stay closed through May or so...making the hike to the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne way out of reach. And that's the same road that goes to Tuolumne Meadows....so I don't think those are reasonable options at all

And Happy Isles to Ottoway Lakes? That's gotta be at least forty miles round trip, in snowshoes, and with no visible trail? That's one hell of a two day trip....more like a week....

Glacier Point Road is usually closed at Badger Pass during the winter, so the closest you'll get is something like the Ostrander hut---but it doesn't have great views at all..

I'm showing my lack of snowshoe knowledge :uhhuh::uhhuh: Forgot about Tioga Road being closed too. Ignore me folks, nothing to see here! *tip-toes out of the topic*

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom Yosemite winter rangers General Discussion 0
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
balzaccom Get Involved--Yosemite plans General Discussion 0
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
balzaccom Yosemite Story in USA Today Resource Discussions 0
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
balzaccom Yosemite Vandalism Resource Discussions 0
balzaccom Yosemite...wilderness permits for 2022 are better Backpacking 2
balzaccom Winter in Yosemite Winter Sports 1
Rockskipper Yosemite Falls is flowing bigtime (for now) - check it out General Discussion 2
balzaccom Yosemite in the Fall Hiking & Camping 0
balzaccom Five days in Yosemite Backpacking 2
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
McKee80 Yosemite 5/18/19 - 5/23/19 Backpacking 11
Scott Chandler A Few Days in Yosemite Hiking & Camping 6
Miya No Cool Title... Illilouette Falls, Yosemite National Park, CA Backpacking 9
Miya My First Hike in Yosemite Hiking & Camping 14
TractorDoc Day Hike in Yosemite -- Panorama Trail Hiking & Camping 2
balzaccom Yosemite Valley Evacuation Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Chinese cook helps create Yosemite General Discussion 0
Brian Skibbe Yosemite half-dome hike, October 2016 Hiking & Camping 3
balzaccom Showing the kids around Yosemite Backpacking 0
Mike Jones Snowshoeeing trip to Yosemite last weekend! Backpacking 4
balzaccom yosemite Glen Aulin Backpacking 3
balzaccom Yosemite and Campfires Trip Planning 0
Mike Jones 2-3 NIght Back country Yosemite ideas? Trip Planning 3
D John Muir Trail: Yosemite to Red's Meadow Backpacking 8
balzaccom Walker Fire near yosemite Trip Planning 1
balzaccom Yosemite XC north from Tuolumne Meadows Backpacking 7
Mike Jones 2 day back country hike Yosemite? Trip Planning 2
balzaccom Yosemite off Glacier Point Road Backpacking 0
balzaccom Celebrating Yosemite General Discussion 0
balzaccom New Fees for Yosemite Trip Planning 4
balzaccom Yosemite--Budd Lake and Beyond Backpacking 6
balzaccom Day hiking in Yosemite Hiking & Camping 3
Ben Yosemite Falls, Panorama Cliff, Tuolomne Grove Hiking & Camping 7
Nick Yosemite Range of Light General Discussion 1
Nick Yosemite Baby Bears General Discussion 1
K Yosemite HD General Discussion 6
Nick Yosemite HD Timelapse Photography 1
RyanP How long does it take the dirt roads (S. UT) to dry out after snow? Trip Planning 16
regehr uinta snow? Trip Planning 6
Titans Boulder Mtn snow March 29- 2023 Photography 1
zionsky Snow, Snow and more Snow General Discussion 91
The Trout Whisperer Wish it was snow! General Discussion 8
SteveR Got Snow? Winter Sports 2022-23 Winter Sports 24
The Trout Whisperer Show me th cold, icy and snow pics…Burnin up here in Texas! General Discussion 35
OldBill Snow Conditions - Greater Yellowstone Trip Planning 1