Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven

TractorDoc

Day Seven: August 15, 2023.

During the planning stages of this trip I had a good feel for what our surroundings might be. . . up to today. The trails thru Yellowstone and along Thorofare Creek were mostly level, documented on maps/in some guide books (Yellowstone anyway), and could be followed to some degree on Google Earth. Even getting up Majo Pass was an understandable objective, even if we did not have a proven path to navigate.

Ahead of us lay sections of off trail travel and undulating terrain that I feel one has to experience to become familiar with. Short of several trip reports here on the forum and the occasional YouTube video I could not find a lot of information describing the contents of the Teton Wilderness. Perhaps this was/is a good thing. Luckily Bob and Hugh have been here before and planned us a route full of awesomeness. All I had to do was not wander too far from them to experience it. You often see me wearing bright colors in this and other trip reports. . . that is because I tend to wander and if I do get lost I'll then be easy to spot. :)

Things get bright/warm quickly when the sun rises and you are camped up high. I had enough time to check out a small waterfall cascading down a nearby hillside. This was the view looking back at camp and Majo Pass.

0O7A1561A.jpg

Looking away from camp in the direction we would start today's hike.

0O7A1564.JPG

Bob and Hugh leading the way.

0O7A1567.JPG

Today we had to go down to be able to go up. We followed our small tributary as it wound its way down to the North Fork of the Yellowstone. Sometimes there would be evidence of a trail, sometimes not. I believe Hugh originally wanted to cut across the wooded hillside at the left, but I'm thinking that did not happen as a result of our forest bushwhack experience from yesterday. :)

0O7A1571.JPG

Looking back at Majo Pass. I somehow managed to work my way to the front of the group again.

0O7A1573A.jpg

Probably because there was a visible trail to follow.

0O7A1574.JPG

Possibly my second favorite picture of the day. Our first view of the pass that separates the North and South Forks of the Yellowstone. We would be climbing up and over the little green dip in the center of the picture. Hugh was hoping there would be scores of Grizzlies looking for cutworm moths in the bowl area to the right of the pass.

0O7A1587.JPG

GoPro View.

GOPR0810.JPG

Zoomed in.

0O7A1580A.jpg

Looking downstream on the North Fork.

0O7A1590.JPG

I wonder what Scott and Bob are talking about today? :thinking:

0O7A1592.JPG

Similar but changing view alert! Just like yesterday, be ready for a cluster of pictures as we climbed up the pass.

0O7A1594A.jpg

View of the terrain on our right. The map shows two ponds/lakes somewhere up above the green hillside but we did not take a side trip to see them. Maybe next time.

0O7A1605.JPG

I did take the time to appreciate this nice cascade that may be draining from one (or both) of the lakes though.

0O7A1620.JPG

Getting closer. This was a much gentler ascent than the one to get up Mojo Pass. There is even a decent trail to follow. This part of the journey looked familiar because @TheMountainRabbit had posted a trip report covering the same area.

0O7A1625A.jpg

Down valley view.

0O7A1631.JPG

The sound of moving water had been the soundtrack of this trip. This number is brought to you by Double Gully and the Cascades. :D

0O7A1638A.jpg

@wsp_scott was right on my heels. If I had moved any slower I think he would have started poking me with his trekking poles.

0O7A1639.JPG

By now it was apparent that no Grizzlies were on the hunt for moths. This made Hugh sad.

0O7A1641.JPG

Did they take a sunscreen break and not tell me? :thinking:

0O7A1643A.jpg

One last view of the cirque (?) before walking on by. Hugh and I heard several large rocks fall/roll down the basin but did not see what, if anything, dislodged them.

0O7A1648.JPG

Three men and a valley. Possibly my second favorite picture of the day.

0O7A1653.JPG

GoPro Selfie. I tried standing so you couldn't see Hugh but he must have run sideways at the last minute for a photobomb. :D

You can sort of see how I carried the big camera/Canon in this picture. It fits nicely in a water bottle holder on my left hip.

GOPR0816.JPG

Would you have known that @Bob and @wsp_scott are in this picture if I had not told you?

0O7A1654.JPG

Almost there. I tried taking pictures of the wildflowers along this part of the trail but did a poor job focusing. Perhaps the thin air did not agree with the camera.

0O7A1660.JPG

The best I can do for now.

0O7A1676.JPG

I did not know what I was going to see once I reached the top but I can tell you I was not disappointed with what I saw. The day was still early so there would be no campsite near the top of this mountain pass. The next phase of day seven was to make our way to the pass near the center of the picture just to the left of the small patches of snow. The valley to the right of this pass held the South Fork of the Yellowstone River. Water flowing down the other side of the pass found its way to Younts Creek or Marston Creek (if I've read my map correctly).

0O7A1661A.jpg

Group shot with a terrible sun angle. :cool:

0O7A1675.JPG

In unknown terrain I would follow Hugh until he became annoyed with the sound of me sucking air (I'm a flat-lander you see). When he had enough he would point to a rock or other object in the distance and tell me to head there. This must have been one of the less annoying moments. :)

0O7A1678.JPG

The wildflowers continued to impress even above 10,000 feet.

0O7A1680.JPG

Our goal was to skirt around the valley rather than go down and back up. Somewhere on that hillside we found a partial trail that led us over to the pass.

0O7A1684A.jpg

Looking down into the South Fork of the Yellowstone.

0O7A1691.JPG

Bob knows the way!

0O7A1693.JPG

The view back to the pass we had just come over.

0O7A1695.JPG

Look close and you might see the Tetons.

0O7A1705.JPG

Cropped in. We were fortunate to have good days of visibility on this trip.

0O7A1707A.jpg

I wonder what the water temperature is in that tarn? For a brief moment we crossed into the Washakie Wilderness at this spot.

0O7A1713.JPG

Wildlife sighting!

0O7A1717.JPG

The view to our right. That could be the Yellowstone River Trail heading downhill.

0O7A1719.JPG

Its all downhill from here, right?

0O7A1720.JPG

Some fun colors paint that mountain behind the tarn.

0O7A1722.JPG

Officially on the Marston Pass Trail I think.

0O7A1723.JPG

Have I mentioned that getting a picture of these three spaced out on the trail is difficult?

0O7A1725.JPG

Looking into the Washakie Wilderness. The trail leading up/down that mountain holds a value of at least eight out of ten on the butt-pucker scale. :uhhuh:

0O7A1728A.jpg

Hugh was practically running down the trail on day seven. We took a sunscreen break near the little group of trees ahead of the trail at the right.

0O7A1731.JPG

I spent more time taking pictures of the carpet of wildflowers than I did applying sunscreen.

0O7A1734A.jpg

GoPro perspective.

GOPR0823A.jpg

Shortly after the sunscreen break Scott's sharp eyes spotted a Grizzly Bear upslope from the trail. When it saw us it ran up and over the mountain rather quickly. Impressive!

0O7A1757.JPG

We started out the day at 10,000 feet, dropped down to 9300, then climbed back up to 11,000 feet, and now we were dropping back down near 10,000 again. :thumbsup:

0O7A1760.JPG

The Washakie Wilderness might be worth checking out some day. . .

0O7A1762A.jpg

Good thing none of us had wildflower allergies.

0O7A1767.JPG

Hugh had planned for tonight's campsite to be near a small pond he had camped at on a previous adventure. It was the original campsite that was planned for the night of day seven so we were back on schedule. I think I was starting to feel some of the day's ups and downs so when Hugh pointed to the direction of the pond I kicked out of Mosey Mode and into Eager to Get There Mode. :)

I made sure I could still see everyone in case I veered off course.

0O7A1770.JPG

Setting up camp for night seven. This nice little flat spot looked over the pond and the Buffalo Plateau loomed in the distance. The pond water was cold, but not cold enough to keep me from taking a quick swim. I made sure to stay on the other side from where we obtained/filtered water but I'm not sure which side @Bob washed his socks on.

0O7A1773.JPG

Marking my tent footprint as to which side the door is on pays off again. I might have emerged from my tent and rolled down the hill should it have been on the opposite side.

0O7A1772.JPG

Supper for night seven. Biscuits and Gravy for supper?!! Why not? I do like biscuits and gravy but I find the dehydrated versions to be more than what I can eat in the mornings while camping. I finished the bag off without a problem this evening though. Socks and Crocs are my go-to camp footwear on chilly evenings. That goes for home too. ;)

GOPR0824.JPG

Day seven wrapped up as another success. The original plan for day seven was to start at the base of Majo Pass and end up here. I think my legs were glad we did not incorporate both pass climbs into the same day. Tomorrow we would be venturing out onto the Buffalo Plateau on which I found out live very few (if any) buffalo. It was to be our longest distance hiking day so we needed to rest up. There was some discussion between Hugh and Bob as to how we would descend from the plateau (I'm not the only one that was suggesting adjustments :)) and we will cover those details in the next post/report.

Before darkness fell I set up a few more tripod rocks to have one more go at some star photos. This is one of the clearer shots I was able to take. Many of the others have an airplane or some other space junk floating thru it.

0O7A1791A.jpg

GPS Track for Day Seven. Neat to see the North and South Forks of the Yellowstone. Me eyes think the valleys look like high points even though they are of course the low points.

GPS Track Day 7.jpg

Great trip report! It is really difficult to choose a favorite photo, there are just too many! That average speed of 1.2 mph is more my speed …

I'm still amazed at how fast that bear moved, glad he was moving away from us :)
That wildflower spread right before the bear was amazing.

My dip in the lake was one of the best wilderness swims I have had.

TractorDoc, like always ... Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful! Thanks for posting and all the photos ... Just Great! This report brings back many many wonderful memories from when being around Younts Peak and the area. The area is as utterly fabulous as always! Our modern day society is such a complete mess, but this wilderness backcountry is as wild and nice as always!

Now in the photo you even had one of my sitting spots in the photo where I would sit and watch the Grizzlies up on Younts Peak thru my binoculars. Like the Natives Americans said that only the rocks live forever. Again this wonderful South Absaroka Wilderness Country continues as it has always been with being as wild as ever! Loved It! Blessings to you!

Last edited:
Oh oh ....... If the Marston Pass trail looked like a buttpucker 8 ...... then Hidden Pass and the SkyRim will push you in your mind to a BP 9.5. Start training now!

Last edited:
That average speed of 1.2 mph is more my speed …
I think I forgot to pause the tracking when we stopped for rest/lunch breaks on this one. ;)

My dip in the lake was one of the best wilderness swims I have had.
I don't know if I can call it my best, but it was close. Probably the highest elevation wilderness swim I've ever had though.

Thanks for posting and all the photos ... Just Great! This report brings back many many wonderful memories from when being around Younts Peak and the area.
Glad to hear you are not getting bored of me oversharing photos. I also like that my pictures stir up memories from when you were in the area; almost as good as being there.

Oh oh ....... If the Marston Pass trail looked like a buttpucker 8 ...... then Hidden Pass and the SkyRim will push you in your mind to a BP 9.5. Start training now!
Yikes! Do you think @scatman will let me tether a safety rope to his kilt?

What type of training should I be undertaking? Visiting high places or sphincter clenches? :D

Day seven was another fantastic day. Anytime you can travel along the North Fork of the Yellowstone, and practically having Younts Peak keeping you company all day, is considered a top-flight day in my book. I thought your images captured the day perfectly Dave. I wonder what is going on on the pass between Younts and Thorofare Mountain right now. :thinking:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are always in the "Eager to Get There Mode!" :D :uhhuh:

Seeing the grizzly climb the mountain was impressive. Always amazed at their strength, speed and quickness.

Have a chat with some of your connections and see if someone can come up with a North Fork of the Yellowstone Stout or Porter will ya?

I'm pretty sure I got a taste of @Bob's sock water. :frantic: That might have been the reason for my illness on day nine? :timebomb: Between his sock water and his elk wallow water sources, I'm pretty sure I'm immune to all known diseases at this point. :D

What was @Rockskipper doing on day seven? Kind of a quiet day for her. :sleepy2:

Now Scatman, If you did drink Bob's sock water, am wondering if in doing this that it gives you then immunity to Giardia? Just think what one's immune system will undergo, then afterwards tougher then anything.

Yes have seen Grizzlies run up some slope ... Just Absolutely Incredible!

And do soooooo AGREE that any time where in the vicinity of Younts Peak is one incredible and blessed day by the Creator Bigtime!

Scatman, probably right now what is happening up near Younts Peak is that it is very probably beginning to look alot like winter. To see it right now would be ... Got Snowshoes?

Lol.... everyone had refilled their water before socks swam in the lake .. can't blame me... What elk wallow water... I filled from streams

Last edited:
I wonder what is going on on the pass between Younts and Thorofare Mountain right now. :thinking:
Scatman, probably right now what is happening up near Younts Peak is that it is very probably beginning to look alot like winter.
Yup!

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are always in the "Eager to Get There Mode!"
So you are saying with me it is more about the destination than the journey?

Have a chat with some of your connections and see if someone can come up with a North Fork of the Yellowstone Stout or Porter will ya?
I can check, but my connections may have disconnected some time ago. I'll see if I can find my rolodex.

I'm pretty sure I got a taste of @Bob's sock water. :frantic: That might have been the reason for my illness on day nine? :timebomb: Between his sock water and his elk wallow water sources, I'm pretty sure I'm immune to all known diseases at this point. :D
If you can handle the flavor I bet @Bob 's sock water would kill more bugs, bacteria, fungi, etc. than any Steri-pen.

I'm betting you get another case of Mojo Fever in the future. . . don't think you are disease free yet. :)

What was @Rockskipper doing on day seven? Kind of a quiet day for her. :sleepy2:
She was always ahead of us, just out of sight over the next ridge or pass. This type of terrain was right up @Rockskipper 's alley.

Lol.... everyone had refilledtheir water before socks swam in the lake .. can't blame me..
Think breakfast water for day eight Bob. ;)

I think I saw a flock of ducks swimming backwards and sideways in that pond when we were done with it.

Yup!

So you are saying with me it is more about the destination than the journey?

I can check, but my connections may have disconnected some time ago. I'll see if I can find my rolodex.

If you can handle the flavor I bet @Bob 's sock water would kill more bugs, bacteria, fungi, etc. than any Steri-pen.

I'm betting you get another case of Mojo Fever in the future. . . don't think you are disease free yet. :)

She was always ahead of us, just out of sight over the next ridge or pass. This type of terrain was right up @Rockskipper 's alley.

Think breakfast water for day eight Bob. ;)

I think I saw a flock of ducks swimming backwards and sideways in that pond when we were done with it.

I am saying that you are goal oriented, and that your passion to reach a destination slowly takes over throughout the day. :D

I never said that @Bob's sock water tasted bad, just that I had some. :) You know, Bob's Sock Water Stout has a nice ring to it. Brewed in Island Park. It could be a hit. Can I pre-order some cases now? :giggle:

Did you find that rolodex? I need to get that goal oriented head of yours to get us in touch with someone who can make us a Yellowstone themed stout. Whether it be Bob's Sock Water or The North Fork of the Yellowstone. Maybe @CajunPoncho can brew some up? It seems like he might be perfect for such a task. Speaking of @CajunPoncho, how is he doing? I could use some words of wisdom from him heading into these cold months ahead, like is this the way to Harvey's kind of thing. :roflmao:

So @Rockskipper was always just over the next ridge ahead of us. Sly devil she is. We may have to bring some shackles for the next trip she joins us on to slow her down a bit. :)

Awesome stuff brutha, as always!

Looks like an incredible trip overall!

Bummer there were no grizz munching on moths. Hugh was talking about it on our early season escapade, so I know he was hoping you'd get to see a bunch of em.

Great job for the Milky Way!