Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021

TractorDoc

How does WA1 on Gneiss Creek fit into all of this?

I want to say the "W" designates the "Western" side of the park -- most if not all of the W campgrounds seem to be more towards US-191 on the Western side of most of the major mountain passes. The second letter seems to start at "A" in the South and works thru B, C, D, etc. as you work North. The last numbers may or may not be in some sort of sequential order as the campsites are along the trail.

Not saying its fact. . . just the ideas that swirl around in my head. :)

scatman

I want to say the "W" designates the "Western" side of the park -- most if not all of the W campgrounds seem to be more towards US-191 on the Western side of most of the major mountain passes. The second letter seems to start at "A" in the South and works thru B, C, D, etc. as you work North. The last numbers may or may not be in some sort of sequential order as the campsites are along the trail.

Not saying its fact. . . just the ideas that swirl around in my head. :)

Sounds reasonable.

wsp_scott

@TractorDoc Now I need to spend more time looking at the Yellowstone campsites on a map, but I think you might be on to something.

TractorDoc

Mostly that I'm not sure I could keep up with the mileage you guys do. I like to think I could but my fitness level has dropped in the last couple of years.
You can do it! I'll probably be back in sloth mode for the winter months but will definitely have to start conditioning again this summer to keep up with Hugh when next year comes. Nothing that walking around the farm fields with 30lbs. of weights in a pack can't fix. ;)

Bob

Trailmaster
You can do it! I'll probably be back in sloth mode for the winter months but will definitely have to start conditioning again this summer to keep up with Hugh when next year comes. Nothing that walking around the farm fields with 30lbs. of weights in a pack can't fix. ;)
Maybe I can get him back in the Beartooths.... Or maybe the winds for some rock hopping beforehand

Miya

Because I am able.
@TractorDoc @Rockskipper @kwc I finished hiking the PCT the end of September and have been hiding out and resting since then haha.

I wanted to try and stay active on here during the hike, but any internet time I had in towns I used to keep people updated on Instagram.

Happy to be back and start getting caught up with everyone's adventures!!

TractorDoc

Maybe I can get him back in the Beartooths.... Or maybe the winds for some rock hopping beforehand
Sounds good Bob. It will have both of you ready for September 2022. Hugh has a list of backcountry exercises in mind including (but not limited to) some off trail bushwacking, horizontal lumber hopping, remote lake toe dipping, mucky bog leaping, thermal feature viewing, and perhaps even some up close waterfall gazing. We promise no 20 milers this time (at least not intentional ;) ), but there is a long hike out on the last day. . . your Mountain House will be consumed by then so your pack will be light as a feather.

I finished hiking the PCT the end of September and have been hiding out and resting since then haha.
Congratulations! That is an achievement to be proud of. Hopefully the hiding portion is not to avoid the authorities! :) If you have one coming that is a trip report I'll be looking forward to.

scatman

I could be persuaded to do another Beartooths trip. :thumbsup: It would have to be in the same late July early August timeframe though.

Reactions: Bob

scatman

Mostly that I'm not sure I could keep up with the mileage you guys do. I like to think I could but my fitness level has dropped in the last couple of years.

Anyone can keep up with me. I'm always the caboose on these trips. :)

Bob

Trailmaster
I could be persuaded to do another Beartooths trip. :thumbsup: It would have to be in the same late July early August timeframe though.
July

Miya

Because I am able.
Congratulations! That is an achievement to be proud of. Hopefully the hiding portion is not to avoid the authorities! :) If you have one coming that is a trip report I'll be looking forward to.
Haha nope nope! Hiding to rest. If I had anyone coming after me, maybe other hikers that I ticked off hehe

chandlerwest

I love the shots of the thermal area!!!! The autumn colors and your numerous side adventures made this report stand out for me. Never seen Mr. Bubbles look so good.