Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021

TractorDoc

To cap off a mid-September 2021 visit to Yellowstone @scatman , @wsp_scott, and I challenged ourselves with a 20ish mile hike thru the Heart of Yellowstone's Hayden Valley.

Hugh and I started the week with a hike to Aster Lake and the upper reaches of Witch Creek. A day later Scott joined us for several backcountry nights near Shoshone Lake and Three River Junction. Hayden Valley would be the way we would finish off the week. In original planning a shuttle hike across the Mary Mountain Trail was proposed, but that quickly evolved into an off-trail loop that followed old stagecoach routes, passed several thermal areas, and invaded several bison herds.

Our day required an early start; we made the pre-dawn drive from the Old Faithful area to a turnout looking over Trout Creek. We were treated to a nice sunrise over Yellowstone Lake along the way.

5J5A9666.JPG

The temperature this morning was cold -- so cold that Hugh decided to eat his pre-hike Pop Tarts in the car. I believe he noted it was a balmy 17 degrees (F) outside.

5J5A9667.JPG

I demanded a pre-hike picture. Usually I try to take two pics via the camera timer but didn't think I'd get the guys to stand still for more than one due to the cold. Who wouldn't want to go hiking with these guys? :)

5J5A9669.JPG

Hugh had a series of GPS waypoints for us to follow. Our "trail" started along the old dump road looking over Trout Creek.

5J5A9670.JPG

Looking back towards the road and mist over the Yellowstone River.

5J5A9672.JPG

Perhaps a half hour into the hike the sun began to peep over the Eastern Horizon. It cast a pleasant golden hue across the landscape. Is that the lookout tower atop Mt Washburn I see?

5J5A9675.JPG

Shadows grow long in the early morning sun.

5J5A9676.JPG

The dump road soon gave way to ruts from the old Stagecoach route across the valley. The low hung sun allowed good visibility.

5J5A9680.JPG

The ruts became our trail as we headed West.

5J5A9681.JPG

We would encounter the remains of many "victims of the valley" along the way. This bison skull was the first. Would we be next? :thinking:

5J5A9682.JPG

Hugh's route took us across mostly flat and open sage/grassland before reaching our first rest stop. This view looks back at Scott with what I suspect is the Mud Volcano area in the background. Mount Washburn is still back there too.

5J5A9685.JPG

Our first snack break would occur in the hilly area at center left.

5J5A9687.JPG

Getting Closer!

5J5A9688.JPG

It was still quite cold at this point. Glancing down at one's feet finds some frosty boots. Luckily my feet were happy and warm in their wool socks.

5J5A9690.JPG

Scott finds what was left of victim #2 (after Hugh was done gnawing on it ;) ).

5J5A9691.JPG

Little left except some hide and bones.

5J5A9693.JPG

We had been scanning the horizon for any signs of wildlife. One of the day's goals was to prove to Scott that bears really do exist in the park. He would have to be content knowing there are Bison out here for the time being.

5J5A9694.JPG

An encounter with the old bridge abutments from the Trout Creek Stagecoach crossing. A lot of the old hardware was still fastened to the wood.

5J5A9697.JPG

At our first rest stop we were treated with a visit from another of Hayden Valley's inhabitants.

5J5A9699.JPG

Normally I'd have taken a group photo of us as we sat on a log eating a mid-morning snack, but I think the guys were onto my ways as they did not sit still for very long. We were starting to warm up a little by this time and I remember shedding a layer or two before moving on.

The stagecoach road continued thru the trees.

5J5A9701.JPG

Another local was keeping his eye on us.

5J5A9703A.JPG

Hugh led us down what he called one of his favorite parts of the stagecoach road as it curved down the hillside.

5J5A9707.JPG

Looking back you can still clearly see the road thru the sagebrush.

5J5A9708.JPG

Looking North into the depths of Hayden Valley. Sometimes the thermals, rivers, and mountains makes us forget how much of Yellowstone is open grassland.

5J5A9710.JPG

If one did not know any better you'd think that Hugh has worn his own set of ruts in all his travels across the valley.

5J5A9711.JPG

Hugh was documenting much of the stagecoach route along the way.

5J5A9713.JPG

He also took time to document other features in Hayden that you won't find on any maps. :poop:

5J5A9716.JPG

Our path would take us towards and to the left of the burned stand of trees.

5J5A9717.JPG

A nice view Northeast towards Mount Washburn.

5J5A9718A.JPG

Where the buffalo roam. . .

5J5A9721.JPG

This fella stood up to get a better look at us. Luckily he only raised his tail to relieve himself before walking away.

5J5A9724.JPG

Somewhere in this stand of trees sits a large winged bird -- probably an owl. As we walked closer it took flight but I was not quick enough to take a picture of it.

5J5A9728.JPG

If one did not know any better you'd think we were on an official NPS trail at times.

5J5A9730.JPG

Around mid-day we arrived at the Stagecoach crossing of Alum Creek. The old earth bridge abutments could still be seen.

5J5A9732.JPG

Hugh was very excited to point out the sights. Larry's Lunch Counter was nearby -- a rest stop where stagecoach passengers could experience fine backcountry cusine. Glen Africa Basin sits up the little valley at center left.

5J5A9734.JPG

The approximate location of Larry's Lunch Counter. We would take advantage of this spot to eat lunch ourselves, enjoying the same view as those that dined before us many decades ago.

5J5A9739.JPG

The view that we enjoyed. We were even treated to several bison running by. . . unfortunately there was no wolf or bear chasing them.

5J5A9737.JPG

What was on the menu? Only the finest assortments of Moon Cheese and Smoked Mussels. I thought the mussels might help to attract the bear that Scott wanted to see, but neither they nor Hugh's tuna fish did the trick.

5J5A9740.JPG

When one inspects the ground in the area evidence of visitors past and present can be seen. Colorful glass, barrel hoops, and fancy dish shards were highlights. All we left were our footprints. ;)

5J5A9735.JPG 5J5A9736.JPG

5J5A9738.JPG

Larry's Lunch Counter would more or less be the farthest West we would go. Our new route would leave the old stagecoach road and take us up thru Glen Africa Basin, then continue Northeast to eventually meet up with the Mary Mountain Trail.

However, before heading off that direction we did some backcountry exploring in search of an old snowshoe cabin used in the early days of the park. Without giving too much away I'll say we searched the general area based on some details that we found on the web.

Beginning the search for the old cabin.

5J5A9741.JPG

Our path looked something like this.

5J5A9742.JPG

It did not take long before we had our goal in sight. You get bonus points if you can tell where the old cabin is in this picture.

5J5A9743.JPG

It should be more obvious now. :)

5J5A9744.JPG

A couple different cabin viewpoints.

5J5A9745A.JPG

5J5A9747A.JPG

5J5A9753A.JPG

Axe hewn logs.

5J5A9751.JPG

Interestingly there were more modern forms of hardware on various areas of the logs including nails and staples. I half wondered if someone stapled a tarp over the top of the logs sometime in the past.

In planning we were not sure how long it would take to find the cabin (or if we would even be able to do so). It was a highlight of the trip for me to actually see it in person.

The guys allowed a group photo for this occasion. Looks like someone is a BCP fanboy. . . perhaps @Nick could use such a photo to promote his website. :lol:

5J5A9749A.JPG

Leaving things as we found them.

5J5A9759A.JPG

Now we could move on to exploring the wonders of Glen Africa Basin -- a small nearby thermal area. On the way I thought this tree looked interesting against a Polarized Sky. . . Hugh thought that would be another good username for the BCP website. (You may remember "Horizontal Lumber" from the Aster Lake hike).

5J5A9761A.JPG

The approach to Glen Africa looks easy enough. . . it is between the wooded hillside to the left and the barren one on the right.

5J5A9762.JPG

You have to be careful on the approach though as there are many random hot springs that appear out of nowhere below your feet.

5J5A9764.JPG

5J5A9765.JPG

Navigate thru the low-lying hazards and you find yourself in an interesting little valley with rock walls rising on both sides and Alum Creek flowing down the middle.

5J5A9766.JPG 5J5A9770.JPG

Many of Glen Africa Basin's thermal features are creek side bubblers that gurgle up from the ground and flow almost immediately into the creek.

5J5A9768.JPG

5J5A9769.JPG

I found that standing above and looking down at the thermal features made if difficult to give a good perspective of them. . . but I kept taking pictures anyway. :)

5J5A9772.JPG

Hugh and Scott as they worked their way thru the basin.

5J5A9773.JPG

The volume of Alum creek increases considerably as the numerous hot springs flow into it.

5J5A9774.JPG

As someone that really likes thermal features I fount Glen Africa Basin fascinating. I was also intrigued by the number of bones that were located in the little valley. . . there were A LOT! It was almost as if this was some sort of Yellowstone Backcountry Ambush Zone. I cannot speak for Scott and Hugh but I kept my head on a swivel the entire time we were walking thru.

5J5A9819.JPG 5J5A9779.JPG

More bubbly thermaly stuff.

5J5A9776.JPG

5J5A9780.JPG

5J5A9782.JPG

Another look back down the valley towards Hugh and Scott.

5J5A9777.JPG

Towards the Northern end of Glen Africa Basin are two of the more active thermal features. I cannot produce specific names, but Hugh called one of the features "Bomber" and I remember reading about one named "The Black Torch" in the geyser book.

5J5A9789A.JPG

5J5A9796A.JPG

5J5A9806A.JPG

5J5A9814A.JPG

We found ourselves heading out of the Northern end of the valley and entering another area dotted with random hot springs among the tall grasses.

Looking back South towards the valley and Alum Creek flowing thru it.

5J5A9822A.JPG

Heading into the open prairie of Hayden Valley.

5J5A9826.JPG

One still best watch their step!

5J5A9824.JPG 5J5A9839.JPG

5J5A9837.JPG

Still quite a few hot springs feeding into Alum Creek North of the little valley.

5J5A9828.JPG

5J5A9831.JPG

We would now follow the meanderings of Alum Creek as it would wind its way Northeast thru Hayden.

5J5A9846.JPG

I'm not sure how long we'd been hiking by this time, but I know it had been long enough for Hugh's afternoon shadow to grow in.

5J5A9853.JPG

Crossing a small tributary flowing into Alum Creek. Note the hot spring runoff over Hugh's left trekking pole.

5J5A9861.JPG

Hayden Valley presents good opportunities for panoramic type photos. North end of Glen Africa Basin Valley is to the far left.

5J5A9862.JPG

Some critter was enjoying a delicious leg in this spot as suggested by this femur and tibia.

5J5A9863.JPG

Walking Northeast Hugh, Scott, and I were treated to views like this. We would be wandering in no-mans land along Alum Creek for quite awhile. Eventually I chose to climb the ridge up ahead to the left.

5J5A9864.JPG

Hugh and Scott followed my lead as we climbed the ridge.

5J5A9868.JPG

We saw the valley open up below us once we reached the top. We also encountered some intense wind that savaged my already chapped lips.

5J5A9870A.JPG

Scott and Hugh surveying the scene and choosing our route.

5J5A9877.JPG

Hugh would choose to lead us thru this first of what would be three large bison herds. Our arrival resulted in a mini-stampede.

5J5A9886A.JPG

Scatman has no fear of these large, furry beasts and his route from point A to point B took us right thru the herd. For better or worse Scott and I followed. I thought best case scenario I could at least outrun Hugh. . . worst case scenario I meet my demise in Hayden Valley. Could be worse ways to go. :p

5J5A9893.JPG

Still see the occasional Red Dog this late in September. Hope he/she is making it thru the winter.

5J5A9896.JPG

We safely navigated thru the first Bison herd and continued our path following Alum Creek. The creek still finds spots to fall victim to gravity and form a pleasant waterfall in the valley.

5J5A9919A.JPG

Bison Herd #2 comes into view. I continued to follow Hugh's lead. I believe the parched ground at top center is the Violet Springs thermal area. I'll have to return there for a future visit.

5J5A9920.JPG

Bison family keeping tabs on us as we walk by. For the record I had swapped out to my 70-300mm telephoto lens so many of these critters were much farther away than they appear. ;)

5J5A9928.JPG

5J5A9929.JPG

This lady bison is rocking a necklace. I wonder if the other girls are jealous?

5J5A9930.JPG

Big fella just walking by.

5J5A9935A.JPG

Everyone just minding their own business.

5J5A9947.JPG

Yet another Hayden Valley victim.

5J5A9948.JPG

Third Herd of the Day. We were able to skirt around the outside edge of this one.

5J5A9950.JPG

Some Canada Geese were hanging out as we approached the official Mary Mountain Trail. I made Scott run ahead and chase them so I could get pictures of a fly by. (Just kidding, the geese flew away on their own free will!)

5J5A9952.JPG

5J5A9956.JPG

5J5A9958A.JPG

I'd be lying if I said I was not starting to feel a little tired by the time we hit the official Mary Mountain Trail and followed it East. I had to keep my strength up though as there was still one highlight for me to look forward to before returning to the car.

Back on official NPS trail:

5J5A9961.JPG

Looking East. Our path would take us thru the little break in the trees at center left.

5J5A9962.JPG

Yet more Hayden Valley Wildlife! I believe this is a Boreal Toad. He hopped off before I could snap a good profile picture.

5J5A9963.JPG

Scott takes the lead.

5J5A9965.JPG

The Grand Loop Road comes into view below Mount Washburn.

5J5A9969A.JPG

The road, however, would not be our destination. Instead we once again left the trail in a Southeast direction. This would take us toward our car, but more excitingly for me we would be passing thru the Crater Hills Thermal area.

Before we could reach Crater Hills we first had to make a final crossing of Alum Creek. Alum Creek was large enough by now that it warranted swapping shoes for crocs to walk across. I took the lead and navigated a path thru the shin high water to the other side. When I attempted to step up onto the bank my foot dropped down into a hole and I spent the next 15-20 seconds half falling/half stumbling my way onto solid ground. I was not able to use my arms for support as I was holding the camera in one hand and my boots in the other. When I finally stabilized I turned to see Hugh and Scott laughing at me. At least they were not taking pictures! :lol:

Swapping out our footwear once we crossed Alum Creek.

GP__0270.JPG

I took a straight path toward Crater Hills. Scott and Hugh followed another Stagecoach route that approached the area.

Crater Hills in the distance.

5J5A9973.JPG

Picture taken on arrival with the GoPro.

GP__0272.JPG

Crater Hills holds a number of mudpots and fumaroles, the most active feature is Sulfur Spring at the base of Sulfur Mountain.

GP__0279.JPG

This was one of those areas that I really wanted to see but didn't want to hike to solo due to the high level of bear activity in the area. Could have fooled us as we did not see a one while we were there.

Up on top of Sulfur Mountain stood this lone tree trunk. Hugh actually found his way to the top; Scott and I nearly left him there as he disappeared for awhile and we thought he may have headed towards the highway.

5J5A0003.JPG

Eventually it was time to head back towards the car, leaving Crater Hills behind us.

5J5A0008.JPG

The hike back to the car was uneventful. I felt bad for Scott because we had not seen a bear. . . I couldn't even give him false hope because I left my bear suit back in the cabin with my luggage. Had I brought it I could have darted thru the bushes in front of him. That is a picture I would like to see him take. :)

From of distance we could see the makings of a bison jam around our parking area but luckily it had cleared by the time we made it there.

5J5A0011.JPG

We drove back to the Old Faithful area for a supper under the stars.

This hike was a great way to cap off a great week in Yellowstone. I once again want to thank Hugh and Scott for being such good travel mates and letting me tag along. I was able to cross a couple things off the Yellowstone bucket list with this one.

I left Yellowstone the following morning to fly home. . . before doing so I watched Old Faithful erupt at sunrise and took one of my better pictures of it.

5J5A0074A.JPG

Thanks for reading. . . and hopefully I don't cook the server with all the picture uploads! :)

Great stuff. I've eyed that old road in Google Earth a few times and thought about a loop in the Hayden Valley but you guys beat me to it. Looks worth my time someday! Thanks for the report.

Those are some cool thermal features back in that vast meadow area. I am with TheMountainRabbit: My second time reading about this report and it just gets better. That old snowshoe cabin looks like it just needs a little TLC to get back as a four star trip advisor destination.

Great stuff. I've eyed that old road in Google Earth a few times and thought about a loop in the Hayden Valley but you guys beat me to it. Looks worth my time someday! Thanks for the report.
I'll admit to spending a good amount of time looking over GE before this trip. It is amazing how much of that old stagecoach road is still visible from above if you know where to look. Definitely a trip worth doing. . . let me know when you are planning to go and I'd probably join you!

I said it when @scatman posted his report and I'll say it again: I'm gonna have to do some variation of this. Looks like a fantastic day. Great pictures.
I said it when @b.stark posted his comments and I'll say it again: let me know when and I'd tag along! :) It will be a fantastic day!

Those are some cool thermal features back in that vast meadow area. I am with TheMountainRabbit: My second time reading about this report and it just gets better. That old snowshoe cabin looks like it just needs a little TLC to get back as a four star trip advisor destination.
It is amazing how much of that cabin is left after over a century. We were a bit worried that it may have fallen victim to the burned trees/fire that we walked thru going in. I would have liked to seen a version of it in its fully built form. . . it was in a beautiful location to spend a couple nights at!

I appreciate everyone's kind words!

This dayhike was one of the highlights of my summer and that includes 10 days in SEKI, the family trip to Yellowstone, a couple weeks in the Winds, and some more standard SE backpacking trips. The only thing missing was the bears :)

@TractorDoc and @scatman thanks again for including me on the backpacking and this hike as well as the couple nights at Old Faithful

P.S. my photos are coming eventually

Wonderful photos and report! With all that geothermal activity along the way, I guess you had to keep checking for safe ground underfoot!

There's something I'm wondering about related to the stagecoach road, and a quick online search didn't turn up the answer. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll take a risk and ask anyway: I see that the park does stageoach tours nowadays, but I assume those aren't on the same full route as the original. (Is that correct?) So if the original road stopped being used over 100 years ago, how is it that the ruts and road are still visible? I would have thought it would change or get grown over or something in that many years. I know we humans have an incredibly long-lasting effect (usually negative) on the natural environment, but I wouldn't have thought the wheel ruts would last so long...

This dayhike was one of the highlights of my summer
Agree 100%

P.S. my photos are coming eventually
Definitely looking forward to them!

That was wonderful. I loved the pictures of, well, everything. Thank you for taking us along. Pringles
Glad you could join us! You'll have to do so in person one of these days! :)

Wonderful photos and report! With all that geothermal activity along the way, I guess you had to keep checking for safe ground underfoot!
Thank You! We definitely had to be careful around Glen Africa, but most of the trip took place on rather solid ground.

I see that the park does stageoach tours nowadays, but I assume those aren't on the same full route as the original. (Is that correct?) So if the original road stopped being used over 100 years ago, how is it that the ruts and road are still visible? I would have thought it would change or get grown over or something in that many years.
I think the modern Stagecoach tours take place up around the Roosevelt area. I don't think anything has travelled thru Hayden Valley for some time.

I'm no geologist/ecologist, but I'll take a stab at an answer. Hayden Valley in general is mostly treeless due to the sediments/soil type left behind by a giant lake bed centuries ago. The sediment is so dense that water does not penetrate well and does not support much more flora than grasses. Further enhance that compaction with years of foot and wheel traffic and we still see ruts a century later. Not sure if that explanation will hold up in class, but that is the answer I'm submitting. ;)

Well, I am speechless. Great report Dave! You do such a great job of telling our story, with pictures and words. I'm not sure I can invite you and Scott on another one of my trips though because your two's pictures are just fantastic. I've either got to upgrade my camera equipment, or just hire you guys to be the official trip photographers from now on. What would you charge for your services? :) Would you accept payment in Stouts and Porters perhaps? :thumbsup:

My favorite shot is 5J5A9703A, or the bison staring at us through the trees. I think he was giving us the "Stink Eye." He was the only one we encountered that day whose intentions seemed a bit unpredictable to me. The first shot of the Canada Geese about to fly past/over the bison heard is a great shot too.

And you're not fooling anyone, we know how close you actually were to the bison. :scatman: And Scatman doesn't run from them either, he mounts one and rides off into the sunset, probably singing an old Willie Nelson/Waylon Jennings tune - Mamas don't let your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys. :D

I still can't believe that we didn't see a grizzly on this one. You and Scott must have been making too much noise. :) Or it's possible that they were getting together to collaborate on changing Yellowstone's backcountry sites reservation system to Recreation.gov! :mad: Sneaky little bastards!

Okay, I am guaranteeing you right now that on our Thorofare trip in 2023, that we will see a bear. I think I might be willing to break out the nude Scatman Bear Dance to attract one into out vicinity if need be. :eek: It might just be the right time to have a pow wow with them to discuss this switch to Rec.gov. So bring your bear suit on this one because infiltration just might be the key to correcting this ugly mess.

Once again "Thanks" are in order to you and @wsp_scott for letting me reach my goal of the headwaters of Ouzel Creek, and getting to see Hayden Valley one more time before I retire my hiking sticks to the closet.

You know, I almost want you to do a second report on this day hike, just using different images, so that I can relive it even more. Great stuff!

Last edited:
What would you charge for your services?
Your presence is payment enough. :thumbsup: Besides, I don't think I can convince anyone else to go the places I have planned. :)
My favorite shot is the bison staring at us through the trees.
I was not even sure you saw him as we were coming over that hill. I don't think he was expecting to see us either!
Scatman doesn't run from them either, he mounts one and rides off into the sunset, probably singing an old Willie Nelson/Waylon Jennings tune - Mamas don't let your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys.
I don't know. . . Bison backs look rather pointy. Strap a banana seat on one and I might consider it. I think I've narrowed down which bumper sticker to make for the Subaru next year -- "BisonBoy" would look good in an upper angle script. Or better yet we can make it banner style in big bold letters across the top of your windshield. :lol:
I still can't believe that we didn't see a grizzly on this one. You and Scott must have been making too much noise.
Could have been all the picture taking. Bears may be leery of shutter clicks. If I go mirrorless I'll try to find a quiet option.
Okay, I am guaranteeing you right now that on our Thorofare trip in 2023, that we will see a bear. I think I might be willing to break out the nude Scatman Bear Dance to attract one into out vicinity if need be. :eek:
You hear that @wsp_scott ? I cannot remember if Hugh promised that we'd see a bear in Hayden, but I know for better (or worse!) we missed the nude Scatman Bear Dance. Apparently he was holding out on us.
Once again "Thanks" are in order to you and @wsp_scott for letting me reach my goal of the headwaters of Ouzel Creek, and getting to see Hayden Valley one more time before I retire my hiking sticks to the closet.
Never say never Hugh. . . we still have not planned a day hike for next year yet. :)

one of the hikes I really would love to do but never can do because I'm traveling solo. I can only do half of it at a time and might two it one day. One day first half, then second day the other half. That way I will get to see the entire trail as well

one of the hikes I really would love to do but never can do because I'm traveling solo. I can only do half of it at a time and might two it one day. One day first half, then second day the other half. That way I will get to see the entire trail as well
You'll just have to stop being so darn independent and join us one of these days. :)

If its Scatman you are scared of I understand, I was a bit cautious around him at first too. I learned to offer him a Circus Peanut once and awhile to tame his wild side. I don't think he will ever be totally domesticated, but if we are being honest I think the world is a better place because of that. :lol:

You'll just have to stop being so darn independent and join us one of these days. :)

If its Scatman you are scared of I understand, I was a bit cautious around him at first too. I learned to offer him a Circus Peanut once and awhile to tame his wild side. I don't think he will ever be totally domesticated, but if we are being honest I think the world is a better place because of that. :lol:
one of these days I might join you. Don't get me wrong, but my dates were always a few days before or after Scatman went to the park. Coincidence? Done with purpose? Who knows...
But there will be a day when I jump across my shadow and join you all. The day will come, I promise, lol