Yellowstone & Grand Teton Boat Trip

Nick

-
As mentioned in another thread, I have secured permits for a big boat trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone at the end of this summer. It's still a ways off but I'd like to start planning things out and would love input from anyone who might have it. I'll be camping out of my pontoon boat and plan to attach as many kayaks as needed to it to allow for some nice paddling, particularly in the remote south and southeast arms of Yellowstone Lake.

Here's my plan so far:

Days 1-3: Jackson Lake, Grand Teton NP (2 nights)
I have Little Mackinaw Bay reserved. It's not very far from the marinas but it is the only site on Jackson Lake that actually has a lake view toward the tetons! I'm just kind of planning on relaxing and cruising around for that part of the trip. I'm not sure if I'd even kayak there since the lake is so big and doesn't have the motorless/wakeless fingers to explore.

Days 3-6: Yellowstone Lake (3 nights)
I have site 7M3 booked one night and 7M5 booked for two. Tentative plan is to try and catch some monster cutthroats and head down into the southern arms and do some paddling. Is there anything else I should hit while I'm out there? It looks like there is a geothermal area on the east side of the SE arm that could be cool. Worth anchoring the boat and going for a hike to it? What else?

Did I mention I'll be working over there? :) Just in case you need help filling that permit.

So freaking jealous!

I kayaked around in Colter Bay once. It wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours. So maybe kayaking near the shore and bays would be doable where you'll be camping?

Again, jealous.

If its the geothermal area I'm thinking it is nothing, but white dirt..

So freaking jealous!

I kayaked around in Colter Bay once. It wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours. So maybe kayaking near the shore and bays would be doable where you'll be camping?

Again, jealous.

Yeah, that actually does look nice. Lots of little channels and stuff over on that east side by our camp in Little Mackinaw. I'm thinking it'll be fun to just paddle or slow cruise the shoreline there looking for wildlife. I was just reading up how low Jackson Lake has been which could cut a lot of those channels off though. I guess last year it got so low they had to close the Colter Bay Marina in August. According to this article, it got down to around 18% of capacity last year. Right now it's only at 30%. Crazy...

Currently the Snake River drainage is at 124% of normal and the Yellowstone River drainage is at 130% of normal.

Let's take a stab at this. Since your sites are on the west side of the lake, you could explore Flat Mountain Arm. I did this a number of years ago when I canoed down the west side from West Thumb. I paddled to the end of the arm and then hiked in a couple miles along the drainage where I got to see elk, a nearly intact moose skeleton, and wonderful grizzly tracks in the mud. When I was done hiking, I sat down on an old log and watched bald eagles and osprey diving into the water of Flat Mountain Arm to catch fish. I could have sat there all day!

Another option, depending on how much you want to get after it, is to hike to Delusion Lake. In order to do this you will have to hike through downfall and new growth (a result of the 1988 fires) which can be physically taxing, but I can guarantee you that few people have visited this body of water since the fires.

Switching over to the Southeast Arm, I think Brimstone Basin is still worthwhile to see. I was a touch disappointed that there weren't more thermal features present, but it is a different kind of landscape with a nice view of the Southeast Arm and the Promontory.

A hike to the top of Langford Cairn is worth considering. From the top you have excellent views of the Yellowstone River delta and the beginning of the Thorofare.

Another possibility is a day hike to Trail Lake which is located just southeast of the Southeast Arm. You could leave your Kayak at campsite 6A4 and hike along the Trail Creek Trail until you get to Trail Creek where you would then hike off-trail to the lake. There used to be an official trail to the lake but the Park Service abandoned it after the '88 fires which mean downfall and new growth - best to stick to the drainage. The hike along Trail Creek to Trail Lake is not too bad and once at the lake you have a nice view of Turret Mountain to the east.

Any hike down into the Thorofare would be worth your time for it is truly wild country, though paddling in then doing a lengthy day hike would make for a long day.

Well, I hope this gives you some options to consider.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
wsp_scott Family trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 15
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
HomerJ Yellowstone and Grand Teton Park increase entrance fees - June 1st General Discussion 3
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 3
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
TheMountainRabbit Pitchstone/Bechler Loop (Yellowstone NP) - September 2022 Backpacking 17
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4