Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results

If you entered the early access lottery for YNP backcountry permits, did you get selected?

• Total voters
There is always one big reason that I do not like reserving sites way early ... am always traveling and living in the now. What Happens if the dates you booked is going to be super stormy and rainy. Think if going into YNP itself, will still use the walk-up system. But so many other places to go also out there.

Again how much do not like recreation. Gov.

Glad to hear a lot of you were successful on the lottery system! Now that I've had a day to process not drawing out I am feeling more optimistic. That original rejection is real.. lol. There will still be plenty of options available for us, even in the park camp sites. We just need to be more flexible with our trip now. I think the original saltiness was because I assumed I would at least get in - even if I had a later day assigned.

For those of you that did draw out early, I would use your good fortune to pick a trip that is one of the higher demand areas. Who knows how long till you will get that chance again. Here's a personal example. We drew out for a spring and fall trip last year. We used the Early spring one for Slough Creek the first week it was open. A big cold front came through with some precipitation. We didn't see another group in the 3 days we were there. To @Kmatjhwy point- we could have just walked up for that one.

And the other one that was a big waste and we could have walked up and reserved, was a fall reservation for Buffalo Plateau 2B1, and going out of the park to the poachers trail for the next 2 days. We had never done this trail before. I followed it on the reservation site and no one that I could see reserved it in the months leading up to our date, or any time after...ha ha! When we got there it looked like the campsite hadn't been used all year lol.

Moving forward, I will use years like this where I don't draw out to see the lesser visited areas of the park, and the years I do draw out to try and reserve those higher in demand. Live and learn I guess!

Yep .......... Choose wisely ...........

Slough creek and Buffalo are a couple you can easily start in the Park and get out of the Park to camp.

I called the backcountry office yesterday, but unfortunately they're closed on the weekends. I consulted some of my old guidebooks & came up with this itinerary.

Screenshot_20230402_075801_Chrome.jpg

I did so with hopes of calling the office on Monday & switching Lemon City, Willow Creek & Lower Lamar to 5P7 for a day & 3O1 for two days. As I mentioned in another thread, those sites are not an option when booking online.

But I also figured that if they don't allow me to switch, that I'm completely fine with the itinerary I set up.

Given any option, what trail would you folks have chosen?

3L3 is a nice site, we stayed there August 2021. I woke up early, sat down by the river and watched a bull elk up in the hills for nearly an hour.

Well, thus far, I've gotten my site on Rescue Creek for June, and my site on the Gallatin River for September. :thumbsup: Now if I can just pull of my big trip when I pick my sites on the 20th.

I got a call back from the office on Monday. The woman I spoke with was very helpful, and after about 15 minutes we adjusted the itinerary to include the Mirror Plateau

20230404_203306.jpg

Instead of ending a big day from 3T2 Mist Creek Meadow with an off trail search for 5P7, I decided that it would be better to stay on trail, at 4W3 Wapiti Lake, on the Upper Pelican Creek trail. Then, have a short off trail rest(ish) day, to 5P7, before the bigger off trail trek to 3O1. Then two nights at 3O1, before heading back to the Lamar River TH.

Hitting the lottery for April 1, I didnt want to squander the opportunity for essentially the pick of the litter. This will undoubtedly be a once in a lifetime, week long trip, and I am beyond excited, securing 3 of the allotted 14 camping days in the area. The very real grizzly threat is something that I do not take with a grain of salt, but I look forward to the experience. Honestly thank you @scatman for your trip report years ago. It was an inspiration to take this trip, although we're going in an opposite direction, and it's slightly altered.

I got a call back from the office on Monday. The woman I spoke with was very helpful, and after about 15 minutes we adjusted the itinerary to include the Mirror Plateau
Looks fantastic! 3T2 is one of my favorite sites in the park - and Mirror Plateau is a very cool experience, as well. Glad you were able to work it out.

Good score ....... but thats a bit of a hike from Mist crk to Wapiti Lk

Good score ....... but thats a bit of a hike from Mist crk to Wapiti Lk
I did it the other direction a few years ago. Not too bad - especially his direction w/ the only real elevation gain right at the beginning.

But I know how you feel about my itineraries... ;)

@ANelson - you can check out my trip report here. I didn't have the same luck w/ wildlife (bears!) as @scatman, but it was a very memorable trip nonetheless.

I did it the other direction a few years ago. Not too bad - especially his direction w/ the only real elevation gain right at the beginning.

But I know how you feel about my itineraries... ;)

@ANelson - you can check out my trip report here. I didn't have the same luck w/ wildlife (bears!) as @scatman, but it was a very memorable trip nonetheless.
Wow I can't believe I missed this! Such a great trip report and beyond helpful. Knowing the mileage from Wapiti to Mist Creek is much appreciated. The woman in the office said it was around 16 miles, so I'm glad to confirm that. It is also very helpful to know there might be some route finding on the way up Pelican Valley.

View attachment 119933

Instead of ending a big day from 3T2 Mist Creek Meadow with an off trail search for 5P7, I decided that it would be better to stay on trail, at 4W3 Wapiti Lake, on the Upper Pelican Creek trail. Then, have a short off trail rest(ish) day, to 5P7, before the bigger off trail trek to 3O1. Then two nights at 3O1, before heading back to the Lamar River TH.

Hitting the lottery for April 1, I didnt want to squander the opportunity for essentially the pick of the litter. This will undoubtedly be a once in a lifetime, week long trip, and I am beyond excited, securing 3 of the allotted 14 camping days in the area. The very real grizzly threat is something that I do not take with a grain of salt, but I look forward to the experience. Honestly thank you @scatman for your trip report years ago. It was an inspiration to take this trip, although we're going in an opposite direction, and it's slightly altered.

Glad you were able to pick up those sites on the Mirror Plateau. When my group was at 5P7, we saw a wolf, two coyotes, and a grizzly bear just while we were sitting around the food area. Hopefully you'll have as good of luck with wildlife as we did.

Pelican Valley is another special place that you'll enjoy. May the bison stretch to the horizon for you as you pass through. There's no way to avoid getting off the main trail, with all the bison trails that run through the valley. Are you heading up Astringent Creek, or Pelican Creek to get to Wapiti? Either way, both routes are beautiful. No doubt you'll get to herd a few bull bison along the way to Wapiti. :)

When you leave 3O1, are you heading down Opal Creek, or will you make your way north to the Specimen Ridge Trail and then out?

The Mirror Plateau is one of the wildest parts of the Park, so enjoy your time back in there. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the area after you return to civilization. Have a great trip!

Glad you were able to pick up those sites on the Mirror Plateau. When my group was at 5P7, we saw a wolf, two coyotes, and a grizzly bear just while we were sitting around the food area. Hopefully you'll have as good of luck with wildlife as we did.

Pelican Valley is another special place that you'll enjoy. May the bison stretch to the horizon for you as you pass through. There's no way to avoid getting off the main trail, with all the bison trails that run through the valley. Are you heading up Astringent Creek, or Pelican Creek to get to Wapiti? Either way, both routes are beautiful. No doubt you'll get to herd a few bull bison along the way to Wapiti. :)

When you leave 3O1, are you heading down Opal Creek, or will you make your way north to the Specimen Ridge Trail and then out?

The Mirror Plateau is one of the wildest parts of the Park, so enjoy your time back in there. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the area after you return to civilization. Have a great trip!
I was planning on taking Pelican Creek to Wapiti. It will already be a long day, and it looks like taking Astringent Creek would add some mileage. I was also planning on heading north to the Specimen Ridge trail on the way out. It appears when Opal Creek connects with the Lamar River it gets a little tight & steep on the way down. If you think that's a better route though, I'm all ears.

I was planning on taking Pelican Creek to Wapiti. It will already be a long day, and it looks like taking Astringent Creek would add some mileage. I was also planning on heading north to the Specimen Ridge trail on the way out. It appears when Opal Creek connects with the Lamar River it gets a little tight & steep on the way down. If you think that's a better route though, I'm all ears.
I'd make the same choice - Pelican instead of Astringent. Both are worthy hikes though.

Pretty much all of the drainages down to the Lamar River "go" safely - I took the unnamed drainage between Opal/Flint Creeks in 2020. Since you're staying at 3O1, the Specimen Ridge trail is a pretty straightforward option - Opal might be more fun though and I'd consider it a safe option.

Sending you a PM also.

There is an old trail that runs down the Opal Creek drainage. You can pick it up on Google Earth. As it gets closer to the Lamar River, it is hard to tell exactly where it goes. I tried to find the Lamar River end of it a few years ago while camping on Cache Creek, but I could not find it. I'm guessing now that it was further north and actually peels off the Specimen Ridge Trail, not far from the ford of the Lamar - roughly 0.2 trail miles from the ford as you start to head up the hill. Of course, like Pelican Valley, bison trails are as good as the human ones in and around the Lamar Valley. If you decide to take the old trail down Opal, I would love to hear what you think, else I'll have to grab that campsite one year and head down the old trail myself.

I got my golden ticket today. Hiking in September 5.
View attachment 120054

Congrats on getting your sites for your trip. You are going to have a great time. You know, it's not very difficult to follow the Yellowstone River, and then Thorofare Creek, from 6Y6 to 6T1, if you are interested in some off-trail adventure. Did you decide on popping down to Bridger Lake while you're back in there?