Yellowstone and Teton, July 2015

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Two iconic parks in one whirlwind weekend. The accommodations were relatively plush. Two nights in Island Park and a third on the shores of Jackson Lake at the Signal Mountain Lodge.

Hikes were, with one exception, short and languid. That one exception: I nearly caused myself a cardiac crisis by sprinting up the steps of Uncle Tom's Trail, taking them two at a time, trying to catch up to a girl.

This trip, like most, had a narrative. But it's a story that won't prove interesting to many. Also, I'm rather upset now, months later, with my cohort. So I'll keep the personal details brief.

_MG_1675.jpg

There are more than enough photos to make up the difference.

_MG_0638.jpg

Our itinerary was a bit scattered, as we were trying to hit as many of the requisite first-timer sights as possible in a short amount of time.

Day one in Yellowstone was whirlwind. We hit Norris Geyser Basin...

_MG_0077.jpg

Artists Paintpots...

_MG_0147.jpg

_MG_1583.jpg

_MG_1593.jpg

Firehole Canyon...

_MG_1613.jpg

Grand Prismatic Spring...

_MG_0216.jpg

_MG_0236.jpg

_MG_0248.jpg

_MG_0258.jpg

_MG_0245.jpg

Old Faithful...

_MG_0185.jpg

...and Fire Hole Lake/Great Fountain Geyser.

_MG_0160.jpg

_MG_0172.jpg

_MG_0313.jpg

Daylight simply proved too finite, so after dusk we returned to the cabin in Island Park.

_MG_0498.jpg

Day two in Yellowstone started with the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and its stunning falls.

_MG_0525.jpg

_MG_0529.jpg

_MG_0587.jpg

_MG_1714.jpg

_MG_0542.jpg

Bison were everywhere around Dragon's Mouth Spring and Black Dragon's Cauldron...

_MG_1742.jpg

_MG_0605.jpg

_MG_1731.jpg

Then, heading south we cruised by the exceptionally pretty shoreline of West Thumb as the weather started to turn...

_MG_0633.jpg

_MG_0636.jpg

A cloudburst unleashed and we scampered for the car. The timing actually worked out, however, as we were growing fatigued of the in-and-out-of-the-car routine. Grand Teton was calling.

After stopping at the Lodge for check-in and refreshment, we decided to take a walk around String Lake. This little deer was not at all perturbed by our presence.

_MG_1767.jpg

The sun had slid behind the range, leaving just enough daylight to soften the views.

_MG_0641.jpg

_MG_0671-HDR.jpg

_MG_0675.jpg

_MG_1770.jpg

I felt torn that final night about whether or not it was worth waking early to chance the sunrise at the most photographed barn in America. Ultimately, I went for it.

There were eight or so others there before daybreak. Clouds matted the sky from horizon to horizon. We all stood around fiddling with our cameras until it became clear the direct rays weren't going to break through that morning.

_MG_0767-HDR-Pano.jpg

Even though the light wasn't epic, it felt good to check one of the iconic photo spots of the West I hadn't yet visited off the list.

_MG_0808.jpg

The drive back into the park after sunrise seemed sublime. Pockets of sunlight painted the mountains.

_MG_0815.jpg

We checked out of the Lodge, took stupid selfies by the lake and bid farewell to our vacation. All that remained was the long drive back to Utah, with brief stops to make new friends...

_MG_0830.jpg

...and to see Ai Weiwei's Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads at the National Museum of Wildlife Art.

_MG_0874.jpg

Yellowstone reminds me nature isn't always pretty or polite.

_MG_1639.jpg

Pro tip: if you're a photographer, always look for the small details in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter. Like evidence your subject has diarrhea.

Last edited:
Pro tip: if you're a photographer, always look for the small details in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter. Like evidence your subject has diarrhea.

haha that was funny

edit: also I love your pictures as always. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice photos! I got to see a few of those spots a few months ago and it's helpful to see how a good photographer captured the shot.

Wonderful captures Dave! I love the purple. And, of course, the raven. That lens, oh that lens...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
wsp_scott Family trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 15
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
b.stark Yellowstone or Teton Dayhikes Trip Planning 4
Jammer Yellowstone/Teton Touristy Trip Trip Planning 6
HomerJ Yellowstone and Grand Teton Park increase entrance fees - June 1st General Discussion 3
Nick Yellowstone & Grand Teton Boat Trip Trip Planning 10
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 3
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7