Wolfman Panel, Comb Ridge/Valley of the Gods

piper01

April 14, 2015

The piece of last year's 3-week roadtrip in which I finally arrive in Utah...part 1 of several
After leaving Chaco Canyon (trip report here), I headed north toward Cedar Mesa. I had wanted to camp in Valley of the Gods that night, but a combination of the quickly fading twilight and my weariness from driving spurred me to grab one of the last spots at Sand Island Campground instead. I had planned on making a stop there the next day, anyway, to look at the petroglyph panel, so that worked out.

After spending a leisurely morning in camp, I had the petroglyphs all to myself as the campground was largely deserted by that time.
IMG_4812_SandIsland.JPG

Then I drove west a few miles to Butler Wash for the hike to the Wolfman Panel. The drive provided a stunning view of Comb Ridge. IMG_4816_CombRidge.JPG

A spot of color amongst the sand IMG_4822.JPG

After a short, fairly easy hike, I arrived at my destination. IMG_4839.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

I wonder what it looked like before the piece of rock face came off.
IMG_4841.JPG

Close up, unfortunately vandalized by gunshots.
IMG_4837.JPG

Since it was still early in the day, I planned to explore more of the canyon. Unfortunately, it was rather overgrown. I wasn't up for bushwacking, so I retraced my steps back towards the trailhead. IMG_4844.JPG

One the way back, I spotted a granary on the opposite side of the canyon, so I backtracked and found where the social trail split off. IMG_4846.JPG

The granary
IMG_4855.JPG

Sheep (?) nearby IMG_4863.JPG

After a stop in Bluff for lunch and a shower, I drove over to Valley of the Gods, coming in from the western entrance so the sun would be at my back. Again, great views of Comb Ridge on the drive. IMG_4874_edit.jpg
IMG_4876.JPG

Final one, I promise!IMG_4890_edit.jpg

By then, a weather system was starting to move in. The wind was rising, kicking up dust and creating a haze.

Lady in the Bathtub
IMG_4894.JPG

Lady in the Bathtub. It looks much more like its namesake from this angle. IMG_4906_edit.jpg
IMG_4912.JPG
IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4916_edit.jpg

After finishing the loop drive of the Valley, I circled back west to head up Cedar Mesa. Here's Monument Valley in the distance, barely visible through the blowing dust. IMG_4917.JPG

Partway up the Moki Dugway. It was a bit nervewracking with the wind shaking my vehicle.
IMG_4918.JPG

I stopped at the Muley Point overlook, but couldn't see much with the haze. Monument valley very very faint in the distance, looking down into the San Juan. Good thing the wind was blowing me away from the edge- it was tough to even stand up. IMG_4920.JPG

I finally stopped on one of the side roads on top Cedar Mesa for the night, and was treated to this sunset through the clouds and haze.
IMG_4930_edit.jpg

What an awesome road trip. I really enjoyed the whole series of reports. Thanks Piper!

Sounds like you had a great trip. I like the photographs, especially the shot of Comb Ridge.
And the Kokopelli glyphs, in all his glory.

What an awesome road trip. I really enjoyed the whole series of reports. Thanks Piper!
It's nice to have an appreciative audience with whom to share my travel stories. Plus I've spent so much time reading other people's TRs, it's only fair that I give some back in return!

Sounds like you had a great trip. I like the photographs, especially the shot of Comb Ridge.
And the Kokopelli glyphs, in all his glory.
Many, many thanks for your Cedar Mesa recommendations when I was trip planning last year. I ended up hiking several of the canyons you suggested- all amazing!