Wolf spotted near Aspen?

Rockskipper

No ETA

My sister and I saw a wolf one winter on Cochetopa Pass in SW Colorado many years ago. There was no mistaking what it was.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

TheMountainRabbit

"Because it's there."
There's no doubt that wolves wander down to CO occasionally, but I'm skeptical about unverified sightings in extremely popular areas (like Crater Lake). I've just seen one too many coyotes identified as "definitely a wolf" by others to not be a little cynical.

That said, with the much reduced human traffic in the wilderness this year, it may be more likely than usual.

ZLmtns

Outdoor_Fool

Not to discount the wolf sighting outright because in all likelihood, there are wolves roaming Colorado now, but I have a few mistaken wildlife stories. When I lived in Colorado 30+ years ago, a touron mentioned they had seen a wolf that day. I asked if they were sure it wasn't a coyote, they said they didn't know coyotes lived there.

Just read the article, sounds like there's quite a few wolves in CO now.

Last edited:

Carcass

A wolf was shot in Southern Utah in 2014, I believe. Near Beaver. DWR verified it. It was believed that it was seen in the Grand Canyon North Rim too. Came 500 miles from Wyoming. They could be anywhere by now.

Rockskipper

No ETA
Another article:

Yamashita said the wolf sightings reported this year to the Glenwood Springs office include one at the Eagle-Routt county line, the western side of Lake County, the Vail area and the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.