Wind Rivers 2016: Green River to Elkhart

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher

Everything had worked out. The shuttle. The dates. The weather. Everything! We were ready to embark on a wild and high trek through the Wind Rivers. We started at Green River Lakes and had high hopes of finishing 7 days later at Big Sandy. In the end, I cut the trip short. but the 45 miles I did see was truly amazing.

Some trips statistics for all you backpacking nerds:

Total Trip Distance: 45.78 Miles
Trip Duration: 4 Days
Dates Hiked: Aug 12 - 16
Longest Day 17.49 Miles
Gross Elevation Gain: +7328'
Gross Elevation Loss: -6039'
Pack Weight (total): 35lbs
Base Pack Weight: 20lbs

Click here to view on CalTopo

Last edited:
Looking forward to the rest of your report. Knapsack Col looks and sounds awesome!

I need to get the other videos made! Ahhh, not enough time lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't see the date listed, when did you go? If you did it again what would you change?
I did this Aug 12 -16. If I were to do it again, I'd finish my original trip and not bail early. Lol :)

I didn't see the date listed, when did you go? If you did it again what would you change?
I would also change the way I kept my phone charged. Use a different portable power Bank. Probably not bring my gopro and additional batteries. Phone seems to do well enough. And not pack as much pepperoni and cheese for lunch. After 3 days it was giving me heartburn lol.

I would also change the way I kept my phone charged. Use a different portable power Bank. Probably not bring my gopro and additional batteries. Phone seems to do well enough. And not pack as much pepperoni and cheese for lunch. After 3 days it was giving me heartburn lol.

What power bank were you using? What was the problem with it?

I was using a Lithium 4400 power bank from Power Practical. I got it for free. It works well when I charge it from my wall, but as I used my Goal Zero, it seemed to struggle to get a full charge. we had lot of sun. It worked well enough. I seemed to have enough batteries charged to do what I wanted.

Back