Wind River Trip - Day 2 - Exploration of Titcomb Basin

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher
August 19th. 2nd day of the trip. So far we haven't been eaten by bears (haha!)

This day was a day to relax and wander. So that is what we did.

The morning was cold and beautiful. As you can see in many of the pictures, the basin was full of smoke. but that smoke made for some pretty effects. I like seeing the morning sun beam through the smoke. Yeah.... id prefer not to have the smoke, but sometime it is nice to see popular places in a different "light".
20150819_071839.jpg
20150819_071724.jpg

Those peaks!! :dance:
20150819_070541.jpg

For as busy as the basin is, this campsite allowed us to feel like we had the whole place to ourselves. The other campers were hidden behind hills and such. 20150819_071736.jpg
20150819_071824.jpg

This was the country behind our camp, looking toward Island Lake.
20150819_080540.jpg

This was breathtakingly beautiful. That water with those peaks are perfect.
20150819_115558-01.jpeg 20150819_120707-01.jpeg 20150819_120705-01.jpeg

Pretty flowers.
20150819_120824.jpg 20150819_115200.jpg

FREMONT PEAK! This mountain suprised me. reading about Freemont ( the little reading I did about it) left a lackluster feeling with me. all that left when saw it. It is huge and majestic. It dominate our whole trip. Everywhere we turned we has Freemont looming over us. As you walked around it, the face of the mountain changed. From this angle the peak is jagged and steep. From the east side, the peak is gentle and forgiving. The back is fridgen and icey! I must say that Fremont has my respect.
20150819_123732.jpg

Best campsite of the trip.
20150819_103230.jpg 20150819_121004-01.jpeg

Back at camp enjoying the clouds. hoping for a cool sunset.
20150819_193739.jpg

BAM! Cool sunset!
20150819_195400-PANO.jpg

My jaw dropped. I couldn't speak. I could just grunt. I was speechless. The beauty of the area over took me. It was sensory overload. the walk up by Mistake Lake was incredible. I'm getting butterflies right now from remembering this place.
20150819_124440-PANO-01.jpeg

Some neat reflections.
20150820_075058-01.jpeg

I think i could have spent the whole trip in Titcomb basin and been completely happy. I look forward to the day when I get to wander some more around that area. maybe take a peek at Knapsack Col, and Bonnie Pass. There is so much to do in this place. God sure does know how to orchestrate things to create pretty places!

Attachments

• 20150819_071954.jpg
    20150819_071954.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20150819_195413.jpg
    20150819_195413.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Incredible shots. In fact, I was planning to soon post a trip invite for next August on Backcountrypost but I think your pics couldn’t provide a better advert to tempt people - so anyone interested please in any of these 3 locations please get in touch. Titcomb Basin and Photographer’s Point here & another lake which I’ll look up the name & I think is en route. I was also looking to do either a very long light pack 1-day sunrise-sunset, or 2 day overnight, to Cirque of the Towers in the Winds, and a couple of days to 2 lakes that look beautiful in pics in the Sawtooths.

incidentally, I guess the Wind Rivers must be in bear country, but there looks like no trees to hang stuff. Do people hike to Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers with bear cannisters. Also are the trails really obvious - and even signposted - as I don't have GPS that covers that area although I'd take a map even though I'm not that experienced at off-trail navigation if it's very tricky, but with all the lakes it doesn't look too hard around there

This part of the Winds is heavily traveled and well signed. You would be fine with a good map and compass. (If you have a smart phone I suggest downloading a gps app)

I used a Ursack for my bear container. I tied it to rocks when possible. Otherwise I just left it out and hoped little rodents wouldn't bother it. Bear protection of some sort is highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

incidentally, I guess the Wind Rivers must be in bear country, but there looks like no trees to hang stuff. Do people hike to Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers with bear cannisters. Also are the trails really obvious - and even signposted - as I don't have GPS that covers that area although I'd take a map even though I'm not that experienced at off-trail navigation if it's very tricky, but with all the lakes it doesn't look too hard around there

Like @Blake Merrell said you can hang from the rocks. I take a canister for ease, and a seat! There are areas that have trees, but many of the trees don't offer branches to have a bag hung high enough and far enough from the trunk.

Navigation, to Titcomb and Cirque of the Towers (not in the same area), is easy. You'd be great with a map.
Salud!

incidentally, I guess the Wind Rivers must be in bear country, but there looks like no trees to hang stuff. Do people hike to Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers with bear cannisters.

The Cirque of Towers area definitely has black bears around. I saw one on the north side of the towers two years ago. Be sure to find a good spot for hanging food at night. There were reports of people not hanging them well enough and they lost their food. One guy had his backpack torn open, and the other had a bear totally run off with his kevlar bag. I can't imagine being ~15 miles in and having your backpack torn up and/or losing all your food!