Wind River Trip - Day 1 - Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher
Tuesday, August 18th. This was one of the most highly anticipated days of the year. It was the day I set foot in the Wind River mountain range! It was a great day.

Banff. Alps. Bella Coola. These are some of the prettiest mountains ranges I have seen in my life. They were the mountain ranges I use to dream and drool over. Now, the Wind Rivers have dominated those dreams! I have enjoyed every mountain adventure I have gone on. But to have mountains like the Winds, so close, it makes me wonder what took me so long to get there!

After walking through forest for a while, I was thrilled to arrive at Photographers Point. I knew what I was getting into was wild, but when I saw this and realized that I was headed to Fremont Peak. I seriously wondered if it was even possible! That country is WiLd! I couldn't help but think of the first explorers - indians? - who wandered this land and created the first trails. What a place!
20150818_104535-01.jpeg

Some good views along the way. I was loving this. Could a mountain range even get any better? This stuff was GOOD!
20150818_112938.jpg

Even though it was a bit later in the season. I was loving the wildflowers that we saw. It wasn't peak, but it was still pretty good!
20150818_120827.jpg

Again. So good. Hard to find stuff like this near the home town.
20150818_143244-PANO.jpg

It was nice to get to Seneca lake! It was much larger than I expected, and of course, way more beautiful too
20150818_131949.jpg
20150818_143528.jpg
20150818_143801.jpg

My buddy enjoying his Sony A6000. Yes. I was Jealous.
20150818_143328.jpg

Oh man. It does get better! What a view. To see this in person was something else! I know the pictures look cool, but being there was very special!
20150818_160012.jpg

We spent some time just hanging out here before we headed down. Great place for a break! noh?
GOPR0899-01.jpeg

I didn't quite understand it before, but right off the bat the weather started doing some weird things. The forecast for the mountains this week was sunny and smokey! Someone forgot to tell the Wind Rivers that, so it made up its own. Once we got close to Titcomb, the weather and wind were cooking up a pretty cool storm.
GOPR0979-01.jpeg

When we got to camp, the wind was howling, and little snow pellets were pestering us. It was neat to experience. My favorite part was watching the clouts dance and swirl around the towering peaks! We got quite the light show.
20150818_183757.jpg

After 15.2 miles of hiking we made it! WOW! I was actually feeling pretty good considering what we had just done. Even with my "massive" 36lb pack, I was pleased with the first day.
GOPR1158-01.jpeg

The first day was wonderful! and boy was I tired. It was nice to finally get to camp and soak in this incredible place.

Attachments

• 20150818_143318.jpg
    20150818_143318.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR0908-01.jpeg
    GOPR0908-01.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Great pics. What's the name of the lake in the pic below the comment "oh man, it does get better.....

I'd like to head to that area next August hopefully - may post for hike partners on this website soon.

Great pics. What's the name of the lake in the pic below the comment "oh man, it does get better.....

I'd like to head to that area next August hopefully - may post for hike partners on this website soon.
That is Island Lake :) Titcomb is the basin behind it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen. I'm rushing off to work now but I will definitely be back to read these TR's slowly. I may even read them twice. Breathtaking!!!!

Anyone know if there is much difference in the average typical weather in the Wind River Range, with regard to rain, thunder and lightning storms between around Jully25-30 and Aug 22-27, as I may have a choice over which month to go next year? Thanks

Anyone know if there is much difference in the average typical weather in the Wind River Range, with regard to rain, thunder and lightning storms between around July 25-30 and Aug 22-27, as I may have a choice over which month to go next year? Thanks

I think the wild flowers will, most likely, be better at the end of July.

I hate going in or out of Elkhart........

Reactions: Ben
Anyone know if there is much difference in the average typical weather in the Wind River Range, with regard to rain, thunder and lightning storms between around Jully25-30 and Aug 22-27, as I may have a choice over which month to go next year? Thanks

There is much information about conditions and seasons for the Winds here @Ross. Read around. In general you will have slightly less bugs end of August then end of July and slightly lower POP (probability of precipitation).

Last edited:
As Art said....Thunderstorm prevalent late July thru early Aug....more bugs. I usually try to go third week in August. Weather is not a given tho, last year we went the last week of August, had 4 days of 50+ mph winds, snow sleet and rain out of 7 days ..... In 2009 we had short sleeve weather and only 1 day of rain in 14 days... Snow can happen anytime... Pushing your luck with weather (snow) after about Sept 10...but you can get really nice weather into October...

I hate going in or out of Elkhart........
Ya, pretty boring until you get to Eklund Lake. Only highlight is Photographers Pt.

@Blake Merrell, I think that view from above Island Lake looking into Titcomb is the prettiest view I've seen in the Winds!!!

@Blake Merrell, I think that view from above Island Lake looking into Titcomb is the prettiest view I've seen in the Winds!!!

Glad I saw it during my first trip then :) I remember, as I was hiking to Island Lake, feeling awestruck as I looked at the beautiful mountains and lakes as I passed by. The were some of the prettiest I had seen. If on of those lakes and little mountains were to be found in Utah, they would be some of the prettiest places to be found in the state. Then I saw Titcomb and the surrounding area up close. It blew everything else--that I thought was very beautiful--away!

I hope to find other places in the Winds that are just as stunning! but I do agree :) That view is world class.

Nice pics......

Look past the main areas, you will find just as stunning.....

DSC02961.JPG

Nice pics......

Look past the main areas, you will find just as stunning.....

Yes! I am stoked to find places like this. I doubt i'll be disappointed. Would love to get out and play on some of those glaciers one day too.