Wind River Range route planning

HikingBoi13

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready for my 7 night trip in the Wind River Range. It is going to be my first solo trip as well as the longest I have been out camping before. Because of that I want to try to keep my route on marked/worn trails as much as possible. I put together this route that looks promising. Looking for feedback on the route as well as places you would recommend setting up camp if you have past experience in the area. The trip will be from August 18-25.

Link to Caltopo

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src=" Click here to view on CalTopo"></iframe>

Checkout Sweetwater trailhead. I'd opt for Texas pass in there...good use trail.
I usually plan 7 mile a day map miles. Always ends up longer

Last edited:
Pretty funny as I mapped a similar route today. Mine gos up the CDT and loops back around Middle Fork, over PITA pass and drops off Lizard Head Plateau to Mendarrin Lake. Defer to Bob as he is the resident expert, but IMO the best part of the Winds is getting off the trails.

Off trail = happiness

Most off trail is tundra. Some screw and boulders on passes

Off trail = happiness

Most off trail is tundra. Some screw and boulders on passes

Any way you could see fitting Texas pass in there? I guess I could do it for a day hike and then come back down.
I also hope by day 4 or so I'll feel more comfortable with my surroundings and venture off the trail a bit to do some exploring

Sweet route for a first solo and first trip to the Winds! Ok, I may be biased as your plan is nearly identical to my first solo and first trip in the Winds in 2001. Back then it was just me and my map, no forums, mapping apps or internet trip reports. There are a lot of great places to hike there, don’t worry about trying to hit it all the first time. If you like it then you can come back again, and again, and again.
The only differences between your plan and my hike are that I went up the S Fork Little Wind River to Ranger Park and Valentine and did not side trip up to East Temple. I did five nights. I was blown away. My camps were at Marms Lk, Baptiste Lk, Valentine Lk, Lizardhead Meadows, and Big Sandy Lk. You will find use sites all along that route and so many other suitable spots almost anywhere you might feel like.
Hope you have an awesome experience!

9944931B-1676-4894-89B4-515FBD0E44D4.jpeg

Dreamer thats awesome! Glad you liked your trip! Im getting really excited especially to finally experience mountains im from the sea level so I haven't really been in alpine territory. Closest ive gotten was Arizona this year for mountains. I forgot about S Fork Little Wind River actually and will add that as a backup plan if I need to cut miles or get to Lake Valentine quicker that day.

I heard East temple was a nice day climb so I want to summit that while im there especially since it looks like an easy scramble.

I will do a trip update once its done and I compile all my photos!

Back