Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead

marquiri

Can anyone comment on the accessibility of the Green River Lakes trailhead in a low clearance (sedan) vehicle? If it makes any difference, this would be late August/early September. I'm looking at an Elkhart to Green River Lakes point to point, and based on the elevation profile, it seems like it makes sense starting up high at Elkhart Park and descending for most of the trip. This, of course, means needing to shuttle a rental vehicle to the Green River Lake trailhead. The NFS site describes the road as fair/rough. Can anyone elaborate? Thanks so much.

Do able if you pay attention and drive slow. It usually gets pretty wash boarded.

Thanks so much guys. The road into Ashley National Forest in Utah where I blew a tire about 8 miles in was more rock than dirt. It sounds pretty manageable.

Smoother if you drive fast, IMO. :) But yeah, it's totally car friendly. It's a long, graded dirt road.

Yep. . Then you only drive on the top of the bumps....

Watch out for kamikaze prairie dogs. Last time I was up that road a couple of years ago they were everywhere. Never seen so many, but maybe it was one of those years.

I've driven it in a Buick Le Sabre and a Ford Focus before. There are some rough spots and rain can make it a mess but overall it is a decent road.

Back